autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Throwing away microfiber towels after coating?

I'm with Zach. No need to throw anything away. I use CarPro 16x16 suede towels to wipe away coatings as they are always 100% lint free. Simply toss them and the applicators into a bucket of warm water mixed with 3D Towel Clean and you'll be fine until they can get laundered. Keeping a to-wash bucket of solution like this is standard practice for me when doing any detailing work. I also keep a smaller 2 gal pale of APC Wash Mix ready for the dirty wheel/door jamb, etc. towels. They get wash separately of course but they too get soaked right after use. Really goes a long way at helping them come clean too.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer not to re-use any coating cloth for wiping off coating again. Tried that before and while the cloths looks clean, absorbency decline. Perhaps some have good methodology to restore their MF but i seriously doubt the cost and time is worth it if you are using cheaper short nap MF. I would prefer to wash my MF and relegate for dirtier job. Some coating are much harder to clean off even if you soak them immediately in cleaning chemical.

Think of it this way, many of the silica coating requires you to buff off a few times after application and still able to lay down micron thin of protection. We use a sprayed on method for all our coating job and after flushing with thinner and IPA, we still get very small crystallized particles occasionally foaming inside when dismantling the spray gun. Trying to clean those coating off now in the tiny fibers are definitely much harder unless your cleaner is an extremely effective solvent.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What about towels that are used for booster spritzes? Same thing?

Post Thanks / Like

Have a bucket of APC and hot water ready. Toss them in as your working when they are spent. Go right from the bucket to hot water wash. You may need to wash them a few times with hot water and a rinse cycle with white vinegar but it will help in saving some of them.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

6. Thanks Dustin Cropsboy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only used 1 coating but I have a separate stash of carpro suede and carpro no lint microfiber towels that I used. They all cleaned out good but I think I used a non sio2 coating PBL paint coating v2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I would soak and wash them right away and use them for tire/wheel drying, engine or interior use, recycle them as they've got lots of life left in themThrowing away microfiber towels after coating?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    5 years and change later I came looking for the same question. I numbered my towels on 4 sides and had a bucket ready with Rags to Riches and water ready and threw each spent towel in and washed them 36 hours later. 4 sides of each towel never saw coating. I was using TRC edgless Pearl.

I have some lesser towels I'd use for engines. These weren't super expensive, but the most I've spent on towels before. Since I have a whole side I didn't use a for coating would that still be a no-go on paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a good additional info here would be how many towels are needed for wiping for a small cars like VW Golf or so, thanks.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
    5 years and change later I came looking for the same question. I numbered my towels on 4 sides and had a bucket ready with Rags to Riches and water ready and threw each spent towel in and washed them 36 hours later. 4 sides of each towel never saw coating. I was using TRC edgless Pearl.

I have some lesser towels I'd use for engines. These weren't super expensive, but the most I've spent on towels before. Since I have a whole side I didn't use a for coating would that still be a no-go on paint?
    Inspect them. Lay one out at a time on a table, and run your hands across them for feel for any contaminants or debris.

If i remember correctly you used mohs evo...right? That is a fluoro modified polysilazane therefore your towels will not harden like a si02 coating would.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Inspect them. Lay one out at a time on a table, and run your hands across them for feel for any contaminants or debris.

If i remember correctly you used mohs evo...right? That is not a fluoro modified polysilazane therefore your towels will not harden like a si02 coating would.

I did use Mohs Evo. I'll definitely give them a through check. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
    I did use Mohs Evo. I'll definitely give them a through check. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Just to clarify i had a typeo...mohs is not si02, its a fluoro modified polysilazane. Just wanted to clarify.

And i always inspect every microfiber towel after each time they get washed, no matter thier duty. Like mike p always said, it takes hours to buff out a car, and only seconds to put them back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast