autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

rejuvinating dashboard, what can I use at this point?

Hi all,

New member, but have been a lurker for years now! Here's my dilemma, I'll be honest, I've neglected the dashboard in my '85 Toyota Supra for years. Although its had a car cover on the car and placed in an enclosed garage (that's heated and cooled throughout the year) and not driven at all (engine died in '08 or '09), the dash (and only the dash! Nothing else has been affected like this) has not held up well. I'm finally getting close to finishing the "resto-mod" and noticed that the dashboard is really bad, so I've been trying everything I can think of to rejuvinate the vinyl.

I tried cleaning it with Meguiar's interior detailer to no avail, and so I moved on to deep-cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol, diluted simple green, and then trying to bring some life back into it with rubber/vinyl cleaner/conditioner (Meg's #40), and even tried using Meg's leather conditioner (G7214), it soaks it up, then turns back to what you see in the photo. Hell, I've even thrown on some Gloveoleum lanolin conditioner to see if it would seep in and revive the dry vinyl, it didn't do anything more than the other things I've tried. Sadly, this dash is in perfect shape, aside from the discoloration. No cracks, no splits, no warping, just the discoloration.

My concern is just getting it to look presentable, I'm not worried about it being too shiny or reflective, as the car will probably never see much more than 2 or 300 miles of road time a year. I just want it to not look horrible as it does right now!

What products would you folks recommend at this point? I'm looking at another round of cleaning agents to remove what I've put on there already, have Meg's APC, as well as more isopropyl alcohol, and more simple green if neither pulls the greasy feeling off of it. Would a coating work better for this job, such as Wolfgang Cockpit sealant?

rejuvinating dashboard, what can I use at this point?-clip0001-jpgrejuvinating dashboard, what can I use at this point?-clip0002-jpg

Thanks,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Re: rejuvinating dashboard, what can I use at this point?

Give 303 a try but curious as to why the low mileage per year?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick reply! Its garage queen #2! The car has only 125k on the odometer, and is really just a play car for me. After blowing up the turbo 6mge engine (yes, from Japan, not the original 5mge it came with), I've thrown in a Lexus V8 engine in it and just finalizing the wiring at this time.

Sadly, I also have an '87 toyota truck that sits in the other garage, and that sees about the same mileage now as the supra will be seeing! I haven't even bothered sealing it (my '11 4runner has CQuartz, that's the daily driver), as the wax I threw on the truck last year is still slick and clean! According to the smog report, I drove it 550 miles in 2 years!

Guess I'll pick up some 303 now, would you suggest the harsh cleaners before 303?

Post Thanks / Like

I have an inexpensive and out-of the-box suggestion- try a small area with Kiwi Shine & Nourish Creme (basically cream shoe polish). It’s made for leather but I had outstanding results with it on a motorcycle seat.

2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
    2017 Honda CTX700
    IG- alfaromeogiulia.palmbeach

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've tried a few out-of-the-box items so far, this one surely can't make it any worse! I think I have some of that creme in the house, off to search for it now.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to you getting your dash taken care of but I'll never understand nice cars parked, just sits there and wastes away, sorry.

Any pics?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, they really shouldn't sit, I try to drive the truck at least a few times a month, although with me working 7 days a week most weeks, there's just no time to really enjoy my vehicles much.

Here's the truck:

rejuvinating dashboard, what can I use at this point?-truck01-jpg

As for the supra, it looks like a disaster right now, there's literally wires coming out of every opening, but I'm hopeful that I'll have enough time to finish it before spring. Here's an older pic before I blew up the last engine:

rejuvinating dashboard, what can I use at this point?-supra01-jpg

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

DRIVE THEM========

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Another off the wall unorthodox product you might consider.........Future Floor Wax.

I once had to go this route on a relatively new vehicle I had bought and was only 6 months old when disaster struck.

It was a fully loaded and ordered 1990 Dodge/Cummins 3/4T 4x4 Pickup I bought back then.

The "lovely" product Armor-All I applied one day had the Paint literally flaking off the entire dashboard, it was simply painted was all!

The Dealer and their paint shop wanted to rip out the entire Dash! I said no damn way, it will never be the same. So, here's what I did.

Went to an auto paint supply shop, where they would custom mix the interior color and place into aerosol Cans (Lacquer) and I ordered 3 cans.

Stripped, scrubbed, prepped and taped off the entire Dash, covered every living thing inside that truck. Spent a good 2 days just on prep and masking.

Then sprayed, and the dash came out perfect, but because it was Lacquer, the finish on the dash was duller than ####! Absolutely no gloss. So I said "now what am I going to do?"

Couldn't go back to Armor All, that was for sure.

So, I tried Future Floor Wax. Gave it 3 coats. The Gloss the Dash then had was amazing, and in fact was off the charts, just beautiful, but at times could be annoying in the bright summer sun.

But I cannot tell you how many times I got compliments on that Dash, people asking me what I put on it, that it looked so good!

Of course YMMV

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That's definitely unorthodox alright! I'll try the other solutions first, and if nothing brings the shine back, I may just go ahead and pull the whole dash out (its practically there now with the wiring I'm doing for the new engine), strip the whole thing down, then shoot it with SEM interior paint in the same blue that's on there now. While the SEM paints are mostly a matte or semi-semi-gloss finish, I think it will be enough to pass for stock and I won't need to coat it with the floor wax!

I've used SEM paints before, my truck has it on the inclinometer's dashpad, has held up very well for the past 15 years, still looks good and hasn't peeled or cracked. I was just hoping not to have to resort to painting the Supra's dash by just adding something topical to restore the original sheen and not have so much streaking.

I am curious about this though! I still have a bit of Rejuvinate floor restorer, it reminds me of the old future floor wax stuff! Maybe that would work similarly? Doubt I'll use it on any of my cars though, but maybe my neighbor's jalopy! LOL!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast