autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: rejuvinating dashboard, what can I use at this point?

Can we have more pics of the Supra, LOL!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, maybe! LOL!

How about a pic of the engine going in it?
    rejuvinating dashboard, what can I use at this point?-1uz-01-jpg

rejuvinating dashboard, what can I use at this point?-engine-jpg

rejuvinating dashboard, what can I use at this point?-jpg

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you're keeping it Toyota

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yep! That was the whole point of putting the 1UZ in it, including the 5 speed transmission the car came with. I'll be honest, it would have been a ridiculously simple swap if I went with a GM or Ford engine, and way cheaper too, but I just couldn't stand the idea of having not-toyota in the car!

Having said that, I've scrapped the idea of keeping the OEM wiring and ecu at this point, there's just no benefit to me in doing it, and it requires I replace a fair amount of sensors and electrical items that were either broken or not there when I got the engines, and that alone would cost more than 2/3rds of a standalone ecu. I figure I'll gain a couple of hp without all the extra stuff on there too, probably a good thing since the 1UZ engines really don't put out a ton of power in stock form.

Once I get the hood back on, I'll roll her back out, give it a good wash and start working on paint correction, so I'll be here again, asking a thousand questions about that part of this build!

Post Thanks / Like

I was at Team Nostalgic car show 2 summers ago and a guy there had a Viper green 77' Celica liftback with the Lexus V8 in it...Oh yeah a turbo also for good measure toorejuvinating dashboard, what can I use at this point?rejuvinating dashboard, what can I use at this point?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Might want to try a water/gel based tire dressing in a small area. Something like Optibond or CG VRP.

Post Thanks / Like

SUCCESS!!!!!

So I had a break from real work today, decided to screw with the dash for an hour. I really felt it needed a really good, deep down cleaning, so I grabbed some Meg's APC, diluted it around 5:1, then drenched the dashboard with the stuff, wiping the drips with a mf cloth, then wiping it off and doing it again another 3 times. It was looking pretty good at that point, but I wanted to make sure there was no oils/residue left behind, so a 70% Iso-alcohol spray down was next. That got it really good and clean, but I wasn't done yet!

Next came Meg's vinyl cleaner just for good measure on yet another fresh mf cloth to make sure I see absolutely no residual dirt/grime/oil/whatever on the rag after wiping it clean.

This is what it looks like sitting 2 hours after cleaning it:
    rejuvinating dashboard, what can I use at this point?-img_20171215_112344-jpg

rejuvinating dashboard, what can I use at this point?-img_20171215_112410-jpg

Still got a bit more to do on the driver's side, I think one more full clean will get it perfect, but I'm almost there. I'm still a bit leery of using conditioners or oils on the dash at this point, don't really want a glossy dashboard, but I feel the vinyl really needs something good that will keep it this way. Guess I'll be reading a lot over the weekend to see what the consensus is for the most liked dashboard detailers.

Can't thank you guys enough though, the ideas you sent me were well-appreciated, and I'll be picking up some 303 just to try it out (seen a lot of talk about 303 products over the years, never tried it, guess its time), and if I ever find that Kiwi creme, I have another project that might work perfectly for too!

Post Thanks / Like

rejuvinating dashboard, what can I use at this point?

I wonder if McKees Plastic Trim Restorer would work well for this.

I just puts some dash to see how it would look.

It adds some gloss but not super glossy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! It has been a REALLY long time since I updated this thread!!! Just thought I'd follow up 3 years later, lol!!!!!

The dash still looks perfect after the cleaning I did, and all I've been using on it is Meg's vinyl/leather conditioner over the last few years, its kept it perfectly clean and a dull shine is what I have on it!

As for the car, I finished the engine install in 2018, drove it for several months and ended up having to repair a few things on the car, so it sat until a couple months ago. She's fixed, but now its cold and wet and this car does not get to see wet roads, so she'll sit under the cover in the heated garage til spring!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyinhawaiian968 View Post
    Wow! It has been a REALLY long time since I updated this thread!!! Just thought I'd follow up 3 years later, lol!!!!!

The dash still looks perfect after the cleaning I did, and all I've been using on it is Meg's vinyl/leather conditioner over the last few years, its kept it perfectly clean and a dull shine is what I have on it!

As for the car, I finished the engine install in 2018, drove it for several months and ended up having to repair a few things on the car, so it sat until a couple months ago. She's fixed, but now its cold and wet and this car does not get to see wet roads, so she'll sit under the cover in the heated garage til spring!!!
    Holy Resurrection, Batman!

I didn't realize that this thread was 3-years old and I read through the whole thing. My initial thoughts were that you were going to need to re-dye/paint the dash.

Glad it all worked out for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast