autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wax & Sealant longevity

I watched one of Mike's videos yesterday re: application of sealants. During that video (the one with the Yellow Charger), Mike indicated that waxes can last up to 3 months and sealants up to a year or even more. This more or less aligns with what I have read here at AG and has been my rule of thumb for years now. But...it got me wondering how I know what I know or not know.

Is the longevity of a wax or sealant dependent on it's specific chemical composition (think different brands), how often the vehicle is driven, how often/aggressively the vehicle is washed, or other factors, alone or in combination?

What can I do to evaluate the condition of the wax or sealant to assess whether it is still effective and doing it's job?

For example, I have applied Megs UW to both my 06 300C SRT8 and my 05 Pacifica. The 300 is parked in a garage and gets driven 1-2x a week in the winter time here in Portland, while the Pacifica is parked outside and driven daily getting washed once every other week. I would expect that the UW would "last longer" on the 300 than the Pacifica just based on where it is parked and how often it is driven/washed. Is the correct way to think about it?

Also, does applying multiple coats of wax/sealant extend the effective life of the wax/sealant? For example, on both vehicles, following the UW application, I applied UFF to it as well.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax & Sealant longevity

No thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I do not know the longevity of either sealant or wax. I would assume Wax will wear out faster than sealant. IMO a good indicator of wearing out of either would be the beading of your ride. Another is the finger swipe test. This is similar to the dried wax or sealant test, however, for the opposite of seeing if you have no more sealant or wax. It you finger grabs then IMO it's time to re-apply.

But to be honest, I really don't worry about the longevity of either products. I will wax or sealant my ride at least 1 time about every 3 weeks, regardless.

So in a nutshell, if you are like MOST of us here, the longevity stuff won't matter. I do know that a sealant will last longer than a wax...that's about it.

Keep on rocking!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

4. Thanks JMak97008 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMak97008 View Post
    I watched one of Mike's videos yesterday re: application of sealants. During that video (the one with the Yellow Charger), Mike indicated that waxes can last up to 3 months and sealants up to a year or even more. Lots of variables here. Living in a tropical climate, a wax will last maybe a month. Up North with salt on the roads, a sealant might last a month or two. This more or less aligns with what I have read here at AG and has been my rule of thumb for years now. But...it got me wondering how I know what I know or not know.

Is the longevity of a wax or sealant dependent on it's specific chemical composition (think different brands),If its a hybrid wax, it will last much longer. Sealants tend to last longer than waxes. how often the vehicle is driven, how often/aggressively the vehicle is washed, or other factors, alone or in combination?You are correct.

What can I do to evaluate the condition of the wax or sealant to assess whether it is still effective and doing it's job?Some will ague that you can't tell by the beading, but that is what I go by. The tighter and taller the beads the better. I don't know of any other way that you can tell that your lsp is still there other than beads and sheeting.

For example, I have applied Megs UW to both my 06 300C SRT8 and my 05 Pacifica. The 300 is parked in a garage and gets driven 1-2x a week in the winter time here in Portland, while the Pacifica is parked outside and driven daily getting washed once every other week. I would expect that the UW would "last longer" on the 300 than the Pacifica just based on where it is parked and how often it is driven/washed. Is the correct way to think about it?I would think so.

Also, does applying multiple coats of wax/sealant extend the effective life of the wax/sealant? For example, on both vehicles, following the UW application, I applied UFF to it as well.There is such a thing as diminishing returns.

Thanks in advance.

6. Thanks JMak97008 thanked for this post
    Likes JMak97008 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys...I ask because I just dont have time to re-applying waxes/sealants every 3-4 weeks.but don't want to outlive the wax/sealant, if you get my drift.

The Megs UW...I think Ive read it's a hybrid sealant? Is it or is it a sealant?

Post Thanks / Like

Does using something like Iron-x strip away any wax or sealants? I would have to suppose so...

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct about the longevity of wax and sealants that it's depends on how your car is storage what climate you live in and how much it's driven and how you touch it and what chemicals it's maked of etc. So when manufactures set claims to the longevity it's often based on in the best situation. The beading is the simple way to determind when your protection is decreased and also the sheeting of water. One thing that can be deceiving is if you use a car schampo with wax in it. Then you get that characterictis instead. A car schampo without wax and you see it more how your protection is.

Meguiars uw is a synthetic wax and not like a carnuaba wax which is natural. If you top your protection you go with a sealant and then a wax for most cases. And the thought about that is the most durability on the clearcoat then top it for the looks. The top layers durability is often reduced as it don't bond as good as on a clean clearcoat. This is if they are not made to do that. For example Megs ultimate wax is recommended that you top with Megs ultimate quick wax or d156. Then you ad on to Megs UW protection.

If you use the same lsp you can often reapply when it's start to loose the beading. If you use different products and based on different chemicals you may decrease the longevity of what you are apply. Before that I use to chemical decon first so it's as clean as it can. To be on the safe side I would polish. This is if the longevity is claimed to last over 6 months as a sealant or a synthetic wax.

Just my thoughts about it and their is always exeptions.

10. Thanks JMak97008 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, SWETM...

I'm still trying to figure out how to properly layer products, for example, UW then UFF.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never paid much attention to the longevity claims of any wax or sealant because from my perspective there all a bunch of BS. But I can tell you this from my experience using many different products over the years (and I'm 64 so we're talking a few years here)... That "just waxed" look and feel lasts until the first wash or two. That's it.

Try for yourself if you think I'm exaggerating. Take your recently detailed car, wash it a time or two, and then reapply whatever LSP you used to a small test spot. Then inspect that spot... Compare its appearance and feel its slickness. That test spot will look better and feel slicker than the surrounding area. So you tell me, how well and how long is that LSP, whatever it may be, holding up?

13. Thanks JMak97008 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I've never paid much attention to the longevity claims of any wax or sealant because from my perspective there all a bunch of BS. But I can tell you this from my experience using many different products over the years (and I'm 64 so we're talking a few years here)... That "just waxed" look and feel lasts until the first wash or two. That's it.

Try for yourself if you think I'm exaggerating. Take your recently detailed car, wash it a time or two, and then reapply whatever LSP you used to a small test spot. Then inspect that spot... Compare its appearance and feel its slickness. That test spot will look better and feel slicker than the surrounding area. So you tell me, how well and how long is that LSP, whatever it may be, holding up?
    Yeah, I've noticed this myself...after the first few washes, the sheeting and beading is different. But that gloss, too. I guess that's why I am trying to find a nice combo where I put on a wax or sealant and then be able to top it easily and quickly to have that fresh, shiny look without having to polish it all over again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast