autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Diff between light, med, and heavy clay bars ?

I have a few bars of different brands of clay bars, but I saw on the internet that (Meguiars ?) has three different clay bars: light, med, and heavy, or something along those lines. I thought a clay bar was a clay bar was a clay bar period. I guess not. So what's up with the different grades of clay bars, and how do you decide which one to use? And after you use one, do you continue on with the "next" lighter grade bar ? I don't get it. It seems my clay bars have always done the job, for both big and small contaminate particles. What gives ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Diff between light, med, and heavy clay bars ?

Post Thanks / Like

here's some words from Mike Phillips

"The differences are in size and aggressiveness, or mildness, whichever way you like to think of it

Quik Clay System - Fine clay
    Professional Detailing Clay Mild - Mild clay
    Professional Detailing Clay Aggressive - Aggressive

It all has to do with the type of abrasives used in the clay itself. Meguiar's doesn't recommend our Aggressive clay to consumers and enthusiasts as it has the potential to mar or clay haze the finish. For a professional this is okay because they're looking for speed in removing above surface bonded contaminants and in most cases they are going to machine clean the paint afterwards so any clay haze is the least of their worries as they will be going after much more serious below surface paint defects."

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so if I'm understanding correctly, an aggressive clay bar has stronger abrasives to pick up embedded particles that might no otherwise come out with a medium or fine clay bar. Is that right ?

If the above it true, does it also follow that after using an aggressive clay bar, there is no need to use a fine clay bar immediately after, because the aggressive bar already got out all of the embedded dirt. Is that right ?

If a detailer is good at claying, and avoids smearing paint using good lube and good technique, then said detailer may not need anything BUT an aggressive clay bar. Is that right ?

Post Thanks / Like

The assumption is that the paint will be afterwards be machine polished by the pro, so that the marring left behind by the aggressive clay bar will be eliminated by the machine polishing.

I don't understand what you mean by "smearing". if you are referring to marring, from what Meguiar's is saying, anybody using the aggressive clay "WILL" leave paint marring behind, due to the agressiveness of the abrasives, no matter how good a lube and technique you use. If you are using the term "smearing" meaning something else, then I don't understand your meaning.

If you are asking about the need to use a fine clay after using an aggressive clay, this is not normally done. You clay with whatever grade you need, and then machine polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkritsilas View Post
    The assumption is that the paint will be afterwards be machine polished by the pro, so that the marring left behind by the aggressive clay bar will be eliminated by the machine polishing.

I don't understand what you mean by "smearing". if you are referring to marring, from what Meguiar's is saying, anybody using the aggressive clay "WILL" leave paint marring behind, due to the agressiveness of the abrasives, no matter how good a lube and technique you use. If you are using the term "smearing" meaning something else, then I don't understand your meaning.

If you are asking about the need to use a fine clay after using an aggressive clay, this is not normally done. You clay with whatever grade you need, and then machine polish.
    Sorry, by smearing I meant marring, but used smear only because I'm not sure I could recognize marring if I saw it. What I was thinking about is if you rub a clay bar on dry paint or paint with insufficient clay lube liquid, it will leave a "smear" of something (don't ask me how I know). If that's marring then yes, that's what I'm talking about. But on the other hand, I didn't know that an aggressive bar WILL mar, I thought it meant "increased chance of marring if you don't do it perfectly". Ok, got it. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Diff between light, med, and heavy clay bars ?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooman View Post
    But on the other hand, I didn't know that an aggressive bar WILL mar, I thought it meant "increased chance of marring if you don't do it perfectly". Ok, got it. Thanks.
    You’re right, it simply means it has an increased chance, not that it’s guaranteed to marr... The 1 time Meguiars Aggressive Clay was used on my cars paint it did not marr.

Here you can see my paints condition after the aggressive clay was used. Yes it's in horrible shape, but the clay itself didn't marr it.

Quote Originally Posted by kkritsilas View Post

Meguiar's is saying, anybody using the aggressive clay "WILL" leave paint marring behind, due to the agressiveness of the abrasives, no matter how good a lube and technique you use.
    It’s a warning, not a guarantee.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to get some feedback from anyone who's had several experiences with both the Meguiars Aggressive Clay and the Nanoskin Med. Grade Claymitt.

This past weekend I used the Med. Grade Claymitt on a heavily contaminated truck and unfortunately found out after the fact that I didn't quite get all of it off prior to polishing with an AIO. I did go over the hood a 2nd time before buffing, but the roof and especially the top of the truckbed [not sure what the proper name is] was still rough as heck after I was done...

How does the Aggressive Clay compare to the Med. Grade Claymitt?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I'd like to get some feedback from anyone who's had several experiences with both the Meguiars Aggressive Clay and the Nanoskin Med. Grade Claymitt.

This past weekend I used the Med. Grade Claymitt on a heavily contaminated truck and unfortunately found out after the fact that I didn't quite get all of it off prior to polishing with an AIO. I did go over the hood a 2nd time before buffing, but the roof and especially the top of the truckbed [not sure what the proper name is] was still rough as heck after I was done...

How does the Aggressive Clay compare to the Med. Grade Claymitt?
    Bedside panels are the name I’ve always called the side of pickup’s box/bed/cargo area.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive only used Meguiar’s consumer grade fine white clay. The stuff seems to work well on heavy contamination. I like that it is so easy to see the contaminants picked up in the white clay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast