autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fresh face, NEW VAN and fun mobile retrofit to start up my NEW old passion as a Mobile Business

Hey good Black Friday morning to you all! I hope nobody has any broken toes and are remaining sane this hectic morning. First off I wanted to say hello to you all, I am a bit new here and to be honest I followed Mike Phillips from Meguiars to Autogeek! A familiar friendly face with helpful knowledge is reason enough for me. This post is the start of my fabrication journey and the beginning journey of my NEW mobile detailing business. If you care to follow along or ad to by answering some of my questions and/or sharing your opinion with how I am or should be doing things I would greatly and thankfully appreciate that!

I have a NEW old van! I spent 1 month just trying to decide what kind of van I wanted... transit connect, e150, e350, newer dodge/mercedes sprinters, older ones... etc..etc.. NV200, list went on and on until one day I knew I was looking for a 2002-2006 Dodge sprinter van with a high top... Those details were important. I spent the next entire month LOOKING for a sprinter van.... I even went so far to drive 75 miles away to look at one... then drive back and pay a $260 dollar inspection on it just to offer the guy less money than he would accept.... then I found the one in Oregon....MY SPRINTER and YES for $10,000 dollars LESS than what I almost paid in San Diego. I just flew to Oregon to pick up this 2005 Dodge Sprinter Van 158" wheel base high top.... It has 157k miles on it and I just had a well known German auto shop in Escondido, CA work on it... (I will pick it up this coming Monday) The van drove like a champ from Oregon - Southern California in 2 days... 600 miles the first and 400 the next. Still I had the shop fix anything that needed fixing as this will be my soon to be Mobile business.

Let me start off by sharing a few pictures and by asking a few questions.

https://imgur.com/DNtAeF0
    https://imgur.com/kCC5FmS
    https://imgur.com/rkQd6v8
    https://imgur.com/5Yc9FcQ

Equipment I will be using mounted on a skid plate will be:

**Honda EU3000is Generator
    **90-115 gallon water tank (still undecided) opinions?? I do plan on paint correction as a number one goal to shoot for but I won't turn away other potential business initially because I need business.
    **Pressure washer..... . (I know I want a Honda motor but I don't know what pressure washer to get.... any recommendations?)
    **100 ft. hose reel
    **air compressor (suggestions? I was considering 3-4lb tank)
    **Dupray Carmen Innox steamer / extraction (this will come LATER after I have everything else installed and functional)

I will be using A LOT more equipment than mentioned above... That is what I want to be mounted onto a skid plate within the van so I can keep the veavy equipment uniform and mounted securely always. (any recommendations on fabricating such a skid plate? I was initially going to go to RightLook.com to have them do the work for me.... but I broke it all down and they were going to be charging me about $2,000 dollars for the fabrication / steal to do the job... I think I could find someone to help me out for cheaper?

I am awaiting a new order of supplies being delivered today:

***Flex XC3401VRG Positive-drive Rotary-Orbital Polisher
    ***Flex PE14-2-150 Rotary Polisher
    *18 assorted pads ranging from 5.5" - 6.5"
    *Grit Guard Pad Washer system
    *Pad cleaner
    *Pad conditioner
    *glas cerium oxide
    *3x 4.5 gallon buckets
    *2x grit guards + grit scrubber
    *3x glass polishing pads
    *160ct Cotton squares
    *2 pack premium wash mits
    *32x makeup brush set
    *144x micro fiber towels
    *100x nitrile gloves
    *100x shop towels
    *60x 12x12 cotton wash cloth
    *250 wedge makeup applicators
    *200x 1 gallon zip lock bags

MEGUIARS product (since Mike used to be at Meguiars, that's all I really know for now)

**#83 dual action polish more abrasive
    **#80 dual action polish less abrasive
    **#21 synthetic sealant
    **M66 Mirror glaze quick detailer
    **D12001 Glass cleaner concentrate
    **D10801 Super degreaser
    ** Tech wax 2.0
    **D10101 All purpose cleaner

All the above in 1 gallon form or biggest quantities sold.

Thank you all for taking the time to help out or just read along and take the journey of a mobile startup with me!! I appreciate any replies and opinions I can get to help me take all of the steps I need to so we can all enjoy this thread as being a SUCCESS even though I will fail at things along the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fresh face, NEW VAN and fun mobile retrofit to start up my NEW old passion as a Mobile Business

If you maintain the van by the book it will easily go 300,000 miles. I will be following this thread to watch how it goes. Don't forget some roof rings or eye hooks so you can set up a shade cover to work under. Use some aluminum carabiner hooks for quick setup

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fresh face, NEW VAN and fun mobile retrofit to start up my NEW old passion as a Mobile Business

Didn't mike Phillips leave meguiars like 10 years ago?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by josher View Post

First off I wanted to say hello to you all, I am a bit new here and to be honest I followed Mike Phillips from Meguiars to Autogeek
    Hi Josh - welcome to AGO!

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

Going on 9 years!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wing commander View Post
    If you maintain the van by the book it will easily go 300,000 miles. I will be following this thread to watch how it goes. Don't forget some roof rings or eye hooks so you can set up a shade cover to work under. Use some aluminum carabiner hooks for quick setup
    Thanks for the reply wing commander! Hmmmm... very good thinking with the shade using the side of the Sprinter..... I will have to look into that idea as I already thought I had my canopies in line but now that you gave the idea I had better entertain it when I get my Sprinter back from the shop Monday..... My current plan was to go to California Palms in Ontario, CA (referred to me by Superior Shine) I was going to get 2 - 10x15 canopies.... each 10x15 has 4 legs.... combine them and you have a great shaded work area for a vehicle.... maybe I could use the sprinter like you say and save a considerable bit of money.... The only downfall I could see is the Sprinter would have to be parked right next to any car I do... I just dropped a good amount of money into fixing anything mechanically on this vehicle as well in regards to the 300k miles + :b

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Yes he did.... but that doesn't mean I didn't follow him over here right? lol... I used to be into detailing quite a bit in the early 2000's up to about 2007.... I fell away from it for a considerable amount of time due to a few life changing events... also having a vehicle that wasn't something I loved at the time also helped me fall from the hobby / passion. Since that was your only comment I now feel the need to explain.. even though it doesn't really matter too much! Any opinions or advice on a new go at an old hobby / passion would be great! I am currently stuck on what sort of pressure washer I need/want.... I don't know if I should have it mounted on a skid plate in my van or get a mobile one on wheels?? I used to have a small detailing business on the side of my full time job back in the day but it was very small....and i used the customers water/power... now I am making this a full time job I can have some passion about and supplying myself with sufficient equipment to be most efficient with practice... I am quite excited! Thanks for the reply

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike!! Good to see you in the forum... I'm glad to be here and hope to learn a ton! Any pressure washer recommendations Mike? I know it probably depends on a few things but I'm stumped if I should get a portable one on wheels and lug it around that way so I have the mobility of it.... OR to get one fix mounted on my skid plate with my generator, water tank. hose reel, and steemer? I am interested in a Honda motor but not a mandatory requirement.. I've been watching a handful of your videos the last few days... Thank you Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

P.S. to anyone that has any suggestions.... I don't even know where I am going to go yet to have my skid plate fabricated.... all of the equipment mounted onto the fabricated skid plate installed in the back of my van... I was going to go to RightLook.com which is semi-local to me but I believe they are charging like $2,000 dollars for the retrofit.... I am thinking I could have it done somewhere else for somewhere around half that price? I just don't know where other than one guy I'm waiting on a phone call back from... I live in Orange County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

BY THE WAY.... If anybody is interested in seeing the very extensive inspection I had done on my new (old) vehicle here you go https://smartflowviewer.appspot.com/...C_NnR8VNH2NXWT I had them fix everything mechanically needing to be fixed as well as all of the doors / locks. The harmonic balancer needed fixing / replacing as well. I put into this thing a good chunk.... purchased the vehicle for a STEAL of a deal.... so I am still $6,000 dollars saved from the vehicle I almost purchased in San Diego, CA makes me feel so good!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by josher View Post

Hey Mike!! Good to see you in the forum...
    Of course - This is we’re I post articles and answer questions.

I’m a atually offline until Wednesday but logged in this morning to remove a spammer and while logged in - make a few posts.

Time for breakfast.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast