autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fresh face, NEW VAN and fun mobile retrofit to start up my NEW old passion as a Mobile Business

time for a youtube video upgrade, lol did not know you were a geek, lol autogeek member, 1st saw your van on youtube. hope you post update video very soon Josher.

2. Likes josher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fresh face, NEW VAN and fun mobile retrofit to start up my NEW old passion as a Mobile Business

Hey fella's I actually did post another Van update on YouTube last night..... YouTube (SORRY I DON'T KNOW IF POSTING THE LINK IS OK OR NOT?) if the link doesn't show up just type in 'mobile detail sprinter' on youtube it's like a 26 minute video lol....so excuse that and also it's like my first video ever really talking to a camera much. Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Are you actually out doing jobs and making money yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool video, Josh.

Love the set-up. Good luck with it, man!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    Are you actually out doing jobs and making money yet?
    lol.... very late reply but yes I am.... It wasn't and still isn't 'open for business' and all come running. I am realizing there is a lot of other work that goes into starting up a business... also I am trying to figure out how to get a car wash in a fair amount of time.. I usually like to do a superb car wash BUT most people only want to pay like $20-25 dollars for a wash. How long do you take on a wash and are you a 2 man crew? I am flying SOLO for now.... I just did my lady friends car yesterday and timed myself.... I cleaned rims / tires.. pre pressure washed all loose dirt off... foamed the car... washed it, 80% dried it... dried all door jambs.. vacuumed entire inside.. anyway it took me like 52 minutes to complete... and that isn't even how I like to deliver a car to a customer... I want it WATER free completely... I could have spent more time on it but my goal was QUICK... UGH any advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my advice. Charge more. Seriously, no, you can't do a good job and do it any quicker than an hour. I did a wash only yesterday on a car I detailed about two months ago. By myself. It still took me 1:02. I do a good job, it's the only job I can do. With tip I made $57 on that job. Luckily, I was coming from a job where I made a couple hundred. That's another thing I'm talking about, I did that wash on my way home from making real money. I never go out to do a wash.

8. Thanks gregpack thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    Luckily, I was coming from a job where I made a couple hundred.
    What type of job? And how long did that one take?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    What type of job? And how long did that one take?
    Regular customer. Wash and wax on one and wash on the other. We charge the wash and wax price on the other (in lieu of an additional pet hair charge) because they're dog trainers and it usually involves a little more vacuuming although surprisingly not as much as you'd think for dog trainers that use their vehicles to transport dogs. It took me 3.5 hours alone and they pay me $225 with tip. Except for having dog hair in them, the vehicles are meticulously clean. I love doing that job because they have a huge metal building that I use, I only pull out the vehicles to wash them and then I put them right back inside.

11. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josher View Post
    lol.... very late reply but yes I am.... It wasn't and still isn't 'open for business' and all come running. I am realizing there is a lot of other work that goes into starting up a business... also I am trying to figure out how to get a car wash in a fair amount of time.. I usually like to do a superb car wash BUT most people only want to pay like $20-25 dollars for a wash. How long do you take on a wash and are you a 2 man crew? I am flying SOLO for now.... I just did my lady friends car yesterday and timed myself.... I cleaned rims / tires.. pre pressure washed all loose dirt off... foamed the car... washed it, 80% dried it... dried all door jambs.. vacuumed entire inside.. anyway it took me like 52 minutes to complete... and that isn't even how I like to deliver a car to a customer... I want it WATER free completely... I could have spent more time on it but my goal was QUICK... UGH any advice?
    I don't offer detailing at my car washes but as a long time business owner I'll tell you that you quickly need to figure out the math or you're ultimately fail. Time is money. You'll get a little faster but no so fast that $25 for a basic wash and vac is going to be anywhere near a decent living. By the time you add in travel time and expenses you're netting half that or less per hour. Some enthusiasts will counter with "I'd rather do this for 12.50 an hour than work in a C-store (or whatever sucky job you can think of)". You'll eventually tire of the business and if you aren't making enough money to stay excited about going to work every day you'll drift off into other things. Do what you have to do price wise in the beginning to gain experience and stay "busy enough", but you probably need to figure close to $50 per contact hour or even more if you hope to make a living as a self employed person.

On youtube, a guy has a channel called detail groove. He's relatively new to the business but makes it work. He talks about pricing philosophy, marketing and SEO. He's a pretty sharp guy. Yeah, he's trying to get you to sign up for his courses for $199 but he still gives lots of great free information in that arena. Check it out when you have time.

Oh, btw, beautiful rig!

13. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you "fully open for business" yet? Do you have another job that you're working while trying to do this? I remember both of us setting up our rigs at about the same time. Next to you, I feel like I totally kludged my setup together, but I feel like I've been in business for 10 years already. LOL

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast