autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Flex PE14 - rotary new pads

Hi Everyone;
    I'm seeking your advice and suggestion to purchase 5.5 pads for Flex PE14. I have seen some suggested to use LC the new hybrid and other B&F uno cell - I would appreciate if you could provide your recomendations.

Thanks to all.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex PE14 - rotary new pads

I personally primarily use my PE-14 and dewalt 849x rotary for heavy correction work. Specifically, cutting out sanding marks and for the initial correction step in any two step paint corrections on heavily oxidized and neglected paints. For any 1-step corrections, cleaner waxes, and finish polishing, I always use a dual action polisher. Both standard 8mm and 15mm long throw polishers depending on the application.

The reason I mentioned this is because I generally do NOT suggest investing in foam pads for the rotary. Personally, I use a rotary polisher 4+ hours every day and I haven't paired it with a foam pad in probably 2 years. I suggest purchasing the following pads for rotary applications with a 5" backing plate.

1. Lake Country 5" foamed wool
    2. Lake country 5.25" hybrid wool

If you invest in a 6" backing plate, the new Lake Country 6" Lambswool cutting pad is incredible and will correct even quicker than foamed/hybrid wool

IF you are set on investing in foam pads specifically for rotary, steer clear of the uro-cell pads. They work well once or twice, but the closed cell structure significantly diminishes the durability of these foams.

Best bet would be buying a few of the 5.5 inch buff and shine orange flat pads. They are great on both rotary and standard 8mm DA polisher like the Griot's 6" and Harbor Freight DA. They're also pretty durable considering how old their "foam technology" is compared to newer pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I also only use my PE 14 for heavy correction and only with wool. Really like that 6" lambs wood pad.What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the foam on your rotary??
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Nwoywod & DaveT435 thanks for your inputs. I have and using LC wool pads with Megs compound such as 105 & D300 and I’m getting very good results.

I’m looking for foam pads to do polishing as second step and for final polish as 3rd step for delicate black car painting such as jet black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have had good luck with the rotary using the LC flat pads, to actually really finish well. You can really get crisp gloss and reflections with a rotary.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

6. Thanks VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HUMP DIESEL View Post
    I have had good luck with the rotary using the LC flat pads, to actually really finish well. You can really get crisp gloss and reflections with a rotary.

HUMP
    I've only tried finishing with a rotary a couple times. Both on black cars. The flat areas I can get looking great, around curved areas I've left holograms both times. Any tips since I think they would be beneficial to the OP as well??
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

For example last week I finish jet-black with M205 and B&S blue pad an edit came very nicely sharp and deep. Flex PE14 speed between 1& 2 very slow arm and steady movements.

9. Thanks VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I've only tried finishing with a rotary a couple times. Both on black cars. The flat areas I can get looking great, around curved areas I've left holograms both times. Any tips since I think they would be beneficial to the OP as well??
    If you are finishing, turn the speed down and don't use alot of pressure. Let the machine be the weight and use a foam pad that can contour.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

11. Thanks VitreousHumor thanked for this post