autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

great youtube video

The Car Craft channel posted this yesterday. He coats a hood with CQUK, WDGPS, and PS21 Carnuba, then tries to strip them with a number of products. Really well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkeS_GrCRp8

2. Likes Loach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: great youtube video

I think his videos are some of the best!

Post Thanks / Like

That was pretty impressive...and informative.

Post Thanks / Like

I like his videos and the information in them. Will be testing his method of washing useing spraybottle instead of wash bucket. He had me sold on that.

Post Thanks / Like

I might have just missed it but did he mention waiting the recommended curing time for each product before trying to remove them? I’m sure it’s a lot easier to remove something that didn’t fully cure.
    Bruno Soares

Mike Phillips

Interesting video...

Reminds me of some testing I watched the chemist at Meguair's do testing Zaino Z2 against Meguiar's NXT back in 2004 or so...

A couple of comments...

Love the test but most people don't try to remove their coatings, sealants or waxes off their car's paint after application. There's no reason for it. The idea was to put something on the paint and then leave it on the paint to provide some type of protection.

But - in those case where after someone did apply something and then for whatever reason then wanted to remove it - this video does show how to effectively remove it. Maybe a person changes their mind? I just don't ever remember applying a wax, sealant or coating and then removing it. I usually clean up my mess, put my tools away, do some laundry and stick a fork in the project and call it done.

For me - if I want to remove something and know 100% for sure that it has been removed then instead of trying to wipe a chemical or harsh solvent over the paint and wipe/scrub the substance off I would choose to re-machine polish the paint and let a high quality polish remove the substance while at the same time polishing the paint and leaving it flawless.

My experience is wiping paint, even with new plush microfiber towels tends to mar the paint plus it's a lot of work especially if you were to do the entire car, not just portion of the hood. Don't get me wrong, machine polishing an entire car is also a lot of work but again, "normally" I wouldn't apply a wax, a sealant or a coating and then change my mind and remove it, which was one of the things Sandro said this video would show.

Years ago actually 8 years ago I wrote an article I DID NOT WANT TO WRITE. In fact, I asked on this forum for someone else to write the article and after waiting for ONE YEAR and no takers, in order to help others from screwing up their paint because a handful of experts, (and I'm being facetious when I use the word experts), kept telling everyone on this forum to use IPA to chemically strip their paint to remove polishing oils before applying a wax or sealant - or - to inspect the true level of correction achieved from their polishing process.

The problem was - these experts were what I call, one-liners, that is they only typed about a single sentence in most of their posts. I guess they couldn't justify their time to add more information so they just told people to wipe their paint with IPA - they never included what strength to use. My testing found full strength will harm the paint, as in cause it to wrinkle up.

So instead of allowing these experts to continue sharing bad information and because no one else would step up to the plate and write the article, against my will I did step up to the plate, do the research, talk to REAL chemist and the write this article,

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results

And the only thing I wanted to add that ties into Sandro's video was that in the above article I also shared options for chemically stripping paint and one of them was the solvent I witnessed the Meguiar's chemists using when they wanted to chemically strip paint and that was Mineral Spirits.

Good enough for Meguiar's chemists - good enough for Mike Phillips

So in my above article I shared using Mineral Spirits as an option and specifically shared one that most of us Americans can find locally and that's Klean-Strip Odorless Mineral Spirits. Odorless means they have removed the majority of the nasty V.O.C.s making it a more refined, higher quality version of mineral spirits.

Now Sandro stated he used Paint Thinner. I don't know the difference between Paint Thinner and Mineral Spirits - maybe we have a chemist on our forum that does know the difference and can explain it using simple terms.

But to wrap this post up - my instincts tell me that if Mineral Spirits are an option the chemists at Meguiar's use they're probably a pretty safe bet for us to use when we want to chemically strip paint of some substance.

I think Gtechniq Panel Wipe is simple Mineral Spirits and Gtechniq is a company I trust and respect also.

If you're interested in chemically stripping, the original article I wrote on this topic has a great discussion that ensues for 9 more pages...

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results

Nice video from Sandro, definitely knows how to perform comparative testing using controls. Something I don't normally see when other people do tests. Making a video like this takes a lot of time, not just in setting up for the demonstration but everything, thinking it through, do it, editing the video etc.

8. Thanks jeffb1124 thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, Mike, in that I never need to "remove" any LSP other than to polish up the paint before renewing a fresh layer. I do that when I sense the previous LSP is about done.

Having said that, I do appreciate "tests" like these to give me an idea of how strong they are i.e. how robust is the bond and thus potential longevity (provided they were applied per mftr specs).