autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for alternative ways to clean floor matts...

Hey guys, I'd like some input on what should be 1 of the most basic things a detailer does, and that's cleaning floor matts.

For the longest time I've done it the basic way, and that's to spray some diluted APC and hit it with a scrub brush, quikly go over it with the Shop Vac, and finally mop it up with a folded terry towel. And that's always worked ok... However it tends to be alot of work, especially when I'm usually doing it on the ground.

But lately I haven't been quite satisfied with the level of clean that I usually achieve, and I've been wanting to reach that point where no more dirt mops up but I'm starting to think I may be fighting a losing war.

This is what I usually deal with: After scrubbing maybe 2-3 times, 1 whole side of my 16x24" terry towel folded into 8 sides is fully loaded with dirt I've mopped up off the matt.

Sure I'm making progress, but...

...But after another 2-3 rounds of scrubbing, now both sides of the towel are saturated with dirt and it seems like it's not going to stop anytime soon...

Now to the average Joe, or someone who couldn't care less this would suffice because it certainly looks alot better than before.. But I want to get the matts fully clean and would appreciate not having to work myself to death in order to do so.

To make things a bit more frustrating than they already are, I bought a couple of Cyclo brushes for my DA, and they've made absolutely no difference at all. After trying them out a couple of times now, these brushes are seriously underwhelming. Looking for alternative ways to clean floor matts...

I have to use it on speed 6 just to ensure the thing spins, otherwise on something like speed 3 they absolutely don't spin at all.

I've marked it. I can see if it's spinning or not, and it doesn't spin on speed 3 unless of course you apply less than no pressure and feather across the carpet, but who does that. This is how 1 brush looks after 2 uses. Is this normL? It looks almost beat to death...

I've come to realize that it's not the scrubbing that's a chore, it's the mopping that's a PITA. Especially when it's never ending. But as far as the scrubbing goes, I can do a much better job than these brushes on my DA and that part isn't even hard. But there's gotta be a better way.

I stopped after loading up both sides of that towel and I could've kept going... Looks better, but I'm still not satisfied.

So what are some alternative methods? I'm ready to look outside APC. Quite frankly I'm thinking about taking the other matt to the laundromat tomorrow morning just to see if I could avoid this chore of cleaning matts.

These matts are used in my fathers truck, but they're actually original floormatts from a 1998 Cadillac, so they're quality matts with plenty of beef and thickness to them.

I don't have an extractor. I don't have a tornador. I don't see how my steamer could help.. Please advise on any possible bare bones methods or alternative cleaning liquids. Please be specific if you can and don't just tell me to check the local janitorial supply because I've seen that recommended too many times. Lol. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for alternative ways to clean floor matts...

I use a different DA brush attachment, this one www.autogeek.net/hd-carpet-brush.html. I attach it to my old porter 7424xp and I leave it on...it's now my designated carpet brush. The bristles haven't flattened out, and I've used it almost every day for months. But the real game changer for me was the use of Citrol 266. I dilute it around 4:1 with water, and I'll spray it on the really dirty spots of the mat. I then use Optimums Carpet and Fabric cleaner diluted 3:1, spray it on the whole mat, I hit it with the DA brush, and I tell you my friend, the dirt and grease is GONE! I mean vanished into thin air. For some reason, that combo is like a magic trick. I've gotten some seriously hammered mats to look almost new again, customers can't believe it. I no longer get scared when I see a dirty, greasy disgusting mat! The Citrol just breaks it down so well, and so fast...most of grime ends up in the brush. Give it a shot, I do not lie! Oh, and it probably works just as well using any APC, but Optimums Carpet and Fabric cleaner is some pretty amazing stuff as well...together there lethal!

3. Thanks Morrison, Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about using a power washer on the lower setting? Pre-treat it before hand, agitate and rinse away. Most quarter washes have matt hooks for cleaning them, it's worth a shotLooking for alternative ways to clean floor matts...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a dedicated system for mats, I kinda change it up depending on the mat, (the quality of the mat, the level of filth, type of filth, color)
    Without extractor I think the most effective thing I do for really bad ones was Presoak with apc or degreaser, agitate with flex 3401 on speed 3 and carpet brush (never stalls) then hang up vertical and spray rinse with power washer. I have a big plastic table top converted into a mat station, I cut slots in one end to hold clamps to clamp the mats for power wash. I've found that even when agitating with brush or vacuum it helps to be vertical as debris falls clear of your work.
    Yeah I've wondered how many towels can one stinking floor mat dirty up before it's clean, I usually have given up before finding out.
    Hot water extractor has saved my back and arms a lot of grief.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Power washer with a 40 degree nozzle. From no closer than 12 inches. I never had a pressure washer, I used a soft rubber hose and made my own fanned our spray pattern by pinching the end of the hose. You can watch the dirt and sand being sprayed away with the hose. The pressure washer is way more effective, but you can ruin mats if you concentrate the pressure in one area.

I have probably cleaned thousands of the exact same 1998 Cadillac mats you have.

When i detailed cars I used a body-filler spreader to remove the majority of the water than shop-vac to suck up the remaining water

8. Thanks Morrison, Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For sure keep the power washer away from the mats. My Worx hydroshot only makes 320 psi max, so it's no where near the power of the quarter wash sprayers. I plan on using my Worx hydroshot to clean my 3 season mats when my WeatherTechs go in in a couple weeks.

10. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    For sure keep the power washer away from the mats. My Worx hydroshot only makes 320 psi max, so it's no where near the power of the quarter wash sprayers. I plan on using my Worx hydroshot to clean my 3 season mats when my WeatherTechs go in in a couple weeks.

My neighbors already think I’m crazy when I wash my Weathertech mats on top of the snow Banks in mid January. I like the idea of the Worx PW. Perfect for mats, door jambs, engines and light PW needs.

Weathertechs have relegated all my carpet mats to permanent (year round) storage. After scrubbing carpet mats for 10 years I gave up and went to plastic. I’ve grown to love their ugly, bulky, utility looks.

12. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Try the WeatherTech cleaning/Protectant combo...game changerLooking for alternative ways to clean floor matts...

14. Likes Frank70 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Try the WeatherTech cleaning/Protectant combo...game changerLooking for alternative ways to clean floor matts...

My FIL’s Black Weathertechs in his F150 are less than a year old and are trashed. I’ve tried Meguiar’s Super Degreaser and a stiff tire brush and they still look horrible. The fine pebble/wrinkle texture traps all the silt like dirt and nothing seems to release it. I’m actually going to test a new product not offered by AG. We will see if that works. I will have to try Weathertech’s combo if the new cleaner doesn’t work. Thanks for the recommendation.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy the product made by WT for WTLooking for alternative ways to clean floor matts...

17. Likes Belo liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast