autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for alternative ways to clean floor matts...

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Wax View Post
    I use a different DA brush attachment, this one www.autogeek.net/hd-carpet-brush.html. I attach it to my old porter 7424xp and I leave it on...it's now my designated carpet brush. The bristles haven't flattened out, and I've used it almost every day for months. But the real game changer for me was the use of Citrol 266. I dilute it around 4:1 with water, and I'll spray it on the really dirty spots of the mat. I then use Optimums Carpet and Fabric cleaner diluted 3:1, spray it on the whole mat, I hit it with the DA brush, and I tell you my friend, the dirt and grease is GONE! I mean vanished into thin air. For some reason, that combo is like a magic trick. I've gotten some seriously hammered mats to look almost new again, customers can't believe it. I no longer get scared when I see a dirty, greasy disgusting mat! The Citrol just breaks it down so well, and so fast...most of grime ends up in the brush. Give it a shot, I do not lie! Oh, and it probably works just as well using any APC, but Optimums Carpet and Fabric cleaner is some pretty amazing stuff as well...together there lethal!
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I think I'll have to check out that Citrol 266. As far as the DA scrub brush, I actually have a similar 1 that I bought a while back, but the thing only lasted about 30sec. before it delaminated from the velcro. I stuck it back on and the thing is pretty stuck on this backing plate so I just left it on and forgot about it. Haven't used it since.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarbenz View Post
    I have a big plastic table top converted into a mat station, I cut slots in one end to hold clamps to clamp the mats for power wash.
    Post a pic of your table. I'd like to see what it looks like. Looking for alternative ways to clean floor matts...

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    I have probably cleaned thousands of the exact same 1998 Cadillac mats you have.
    They're pretty good matts compared to the flimsy ones you find in other vehicles huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Cg6LeMoN View Post
    I started out without a steamer and extractor in the beginning as well.
    I have a McCulloch steamer, I've just never found it to be too helpful on carpets and upholstery. I pretty much only use it for leather seats and other random things.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    I usually just spray mine down with some APC or Spray n Wash or whatever laundry spot cleaner we have Shout, Oxy clean ect and throw them in the washing machine on a hot water setting and allow them to air dry after. Works perfectly and no the little rubber teeth under the mats don't break off in the wash.
    That's interesting, because the little rubber feet on these matts come off just laying it on the floor when I vac and scrub them. They come off on the carpet in the car, I'm surprised theres any left. Lol.

Thanks everyone for the replies! As always, you guys are extremely helpful. Looking for alternative ways to clean floor matts...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for alternative ways to clean floor matts...

Ok so I decided to implement some of the advice in this thread and do a quik rough draft version with whatever I had on hand on the 2nd matt.

1st I sprayed a liberal amount of Folex on the matt and used as directed.

But instead of mopping up, I hit it with the hose nozzle. [sorry, no power washer available]

Results were decent. Just this was better than my normL method. Dirty part on the top half of the towel. [this towel is clean but stained]

Next I sprayed some Megs Super Degreaser@4:1 and scrubbed.

Spray it down...

Rinse it clean...

After: The left side is what I mopped up. A little better, but still needs a bit more.

So next I decided to use LATA straight undiluted and scrubbed with the brush and rinsed. This left the towel clean on the small area I tested... So I used a squeegee to remove the excess rinse water.

I brought it over to where it's going to dry and vacuumed it up with the Ridgid. I got a different much cleaner towel and did another wipedown and there was still a minor amount of dirt left. You can see it on the left side of towel.

I continued to wipe the matt down across 1 whole side of the towel and this is what it looked like afterwards. I thought it would be better based on my previous test wipe, but oh well, this dirt is stubborn. I'm going to try some of the advice you guys gave me.

Final rough draft results. Better, but not yet 100% + it's still wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Wax View Post
    I use a different DA brush attachment, this one www.autogeek.net/hd-carpet-brush.html. I attach it to my old porter 7424xp and I leave it on...it's now my designated carpet brush. The bristles haven't flattened out, and I've used it almost every day for months. But the real game changer for me was the use of Citrol 266. I dilute it around 4:1 with water, and I'll spray it on the really dirty spots of the mat. I then use Optimums Carpet and Fabric cleaner diluted 3:1, spray it on the whole mat, I hit it with the DA brush, and I tell you my friend, the dirt and grease is GONE! I mean vanished into thin air. For some reason, that combo is like a magic trick. I've gotten some seriously hammered mats to look almost new again, customers can't believe it. I no longer get scared when I see a dirty, greasy disgusting mat! The Citrol just breaks it down so well, and so fast...most of grime ends up in the brush. Give it a shot, I do not lie! Oh, and it probably works just as well using any APC, but Optimums Carpet and Fabric cleaner is some pretty amazing stuff as well...together there lethal!
    Optimum is good stuff. Seems to work very well from personally using it.

4. Likes gspam1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I purchased several sturdy clamps at Harbor Freight, enough for 4-5 mats. I clamped the mats to the wooden fence (I detailed at home) and used pre treat then soap in the power washer. Once done all were rinsed with power washer with water. They dripped dry while hanging on the fence. By the time I was done with the customer's car, some 6-8 hours later, the mats were dry.
    It worked well for me but I lived in deep south TX where summer is 10 months long.

The clamps were similar to this but larger with a very stiff spring.

Looking for alternative ways to clean floor matts...-b780d76c9936a7bd1ccc7087e92714bd-hand-tools-beach-towel-jpg
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

I've used a washing machine for mats, while it does get them clean, it also made the carpet frizzy and look more worn than it was. A pressure washer and a vacuum to extract the water works well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    My neighbors already think I’m crazy when I wash my Weathertech mats on top of the snow Banks in mid January. I like the idea of the Worx PW. Perfect for mats, door jambs, engines and light PW needs.

Weathertechs have relegated all my carpet mats to permanent (year round) storage. After scrubbing carpet mats for 10 years I gave up and went to plastic. I’ve grown to love their ugly, bulky, utility looks.
    I love it. My neighbors think I am crazy for washing my cars in the winter while wearing shorts and singing Beach Boys songs. Get rid of the carpeted mats and replace them with Weathertech.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    Get rid of the carpeted mats and replace them with Weathertech.
    I'd never put Weathertechs in my Cadillac. I think they'd kill the look of the interior.. I wouldn't even put them in my fathers truck, I gave him Cadillac matts because I want his truck to look good! Lol.

My matts are light green [almost beige] but I keep em looking good. Looking for alternative ways to clean floor matts...

Post Thanks / Like

When you tromp through snow ice and salt weathertech is a good thing. In SoCal mats are probably not much of a problem. Maybe sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

haven't read through all the replies but floor mats for me simply get washed either in the driveway with a garden hose and brush then I extract the water with a machine and let them hang dry. In colder months I simply bring them inside to the wash tub in our laundry room. keep it simple IMO.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

The worse thing about some of these mats in my mind, if your detailing for a business, and you've got a package that included cleaning floor mats, you've already estimated the hours needed for size of car and priced your package accordingly. Now you run into these terrible factory floor mats that are about two steps above the quality of cardboard with the cheapest excuse for carpet attached. Honestly, many of these are just terrible, and when you get a truly neglected one, you know if it was yours you'd trash it. The rest of your detail looks awesome, you blow your time and effort and scheduled hours working on a set of trashy mats that at the end I still would throw away because they detract from the rest of the job you've just done.
    It's very frustrating, and often times I've had a polite conversation with clients and explained to them that these floor mats are removable for another reason, so you can replace them when they are just too far gone.
    I can't afford to sink two hours in floor mats on a 6hr. detail job.
    I'd be money ahead to buy the client another set of cheap floor mats.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

12. Likes Belo liked this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast