autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: IronX and IronX Clones - Fun Facts

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Okay, sounds like I'm mistaken on the Megs Hot Rims cleaners then. I have seen it on somebody else's OTC wheel cleaner though. I know that my jug of Hi-Temp cleaner says oxalic acid on the label. It is probably almost 10 years old. They may have changed their formula then.
    That seems crazy to me that they switched from oxalic to hydrochloric. Why would you put HCL in a wheel cleaner? I'm thinking the MSDS is wrong... Other then etching/cleaning concrete or removing mineral stains from porcelain, I don't know what use or advantage it has in the home, especially given the increased hazard relative to oxalic.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    I watched the Forensic Detailing Channel video regarding IronX/Clones. Here are some fun facts about how it works.

I have tried using Iron-X on a rusted out steel rim and it did absolutelly nothing. It works on iron deposits but when you are talking about rusted metal, you need something far stronger than Iron-X. Maybe if you could soak the part in Iron-X it would work well, but the 5 mins you can leave on the surface when sprayed is simply not enough. For small parts you can use any acid I think. I have removed rust by soaking in vinegar, also did it with Wheel Britenener (Hydrofluoric acid) and it worked well also. I know people use molasses and apple cider vinegar as well but I think that would be more expensive.

If you are trying to remove rust on car parts, grinding, sand paper, metal brushes all do a good job. I would finish with an acid to remove the very small particules that may remain behind.

Don't forget to protect the surface once you are done or it will rust again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Good info. Couple of additions:

• A few products use ammonium thioglycolate rather than sodium, namely the CarPro and Gyeon products, and at least one other not sold here. Not sure why they use the ammonium rather than sodium variant. Calcium thioglycolate is also produced.

• Oxalic acid will also remove iron oxide via a similar process to thioglycolic acids. It doesn't have a dead skunk smell, but also doesn't change color as a visual indicator. The only wheel cleaner/iron remover I'm aware of that uses this is Duragloss All Wheel Cleaner.
    Ahhhhh! I purchased for Iron remover locally and I thought it wasn't working. I sprayed it on about 10 cars and never got a color change even on cars where Iron Particles were visible on the paint. I purchased some Ferrex to replace it. Now I guess I will have to try it again and see if it is actually removing the rust particles even if it is not changing color.

BTW Ferrex is a far inferior product to Iron-X. It doesn't smell as bad, and what sold me on purchasing it is that Optmum claims it removes Tar as well as Iron.... In my experience (used about 64 ounces so far),

- it dries very quickly when used outside and it has a tendency to stain the paint. If it does, only solution is to polish.
    - It doesn't react quickly. Often, it will dry before changing color, so that is really bad!
    - When you rinse it off, most of the rust particles will still be there. I have not done a side by side comparisson with Iron-X but I don't remember having to apply Iron-X 3 or 4 times then grab a clay bar because it's not working
    - It does nothing to tar. Maybe it softens it? Either way, it will be just as difficult to remove as if you had not used Ferrex. So that aspect is really deceptive and bogus.

On the plus side, it smells better and it's a bit cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post

There are three Hot Rims wheel cleaners. The Chrome one has ammonium biflouride in it which is nasty stuff health-wise. I go out of my way to avoid it. You may want to do some reading.
    I know. But the one I linked is designed for all. And for those looking to simplify their collection of chemicals so that they don't have separate wheel cleaners will probably do well with it. I know it's worked for me, that's all.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    I know. But the one I linked is designed for all. And for those looking to simplify their collection of chemicals so that they don't have separate wheel cleaners will probably do well with it. I know it's worked for me, that's all.
    saw this today and i think it reinforces my point. and if not, it's still funny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IronX and IronX Clones - Fun Facts-001-jpg  
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    It's made for all factory coated rims. And it can stain/etch bare metall surfaces. That's why they did the chrome and is it the aluminum stand alone rims cleaners.
    The all wheel cleaner is that it cleans both the rim and tire. And is a corrosive cleaner which is not so good to use on some bare metalls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMDX View Post
    Here is a warning that I have not seen mentioned. When you use one of these products, you will surely stink up the air where you are working, but the worst part is when you get in your car and the odor is there too! And then you find out that it lingersinside the car for days afterward. For that reason, it is unlikely that I will ever use it again.
    or get it on your clothes, shoes...
    2018 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R Crystal White Pearl, 2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Oxford White Clearcoat.

Post Thanks / Like

At least 30 wheel cleaners in my spreadsheet claim to be safe on all wheels.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am going to try Sonax next, I am sure it works great. Are there ever any buy one get one deals on the 16 ox bottles or the 5L jugs of it?lol. It is still expensive like iron x.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

regarding the HCL in wheel cleaners:
    HCL also goes by a name of muriatic acid and you can buy it by the gallon at depot or lowes or walmart, or likely any pool store, it's often used to adjust PH in swimming pools, and for concrete cleaning.
    HCL is a very good cleaner works and it works great on chrome,
    HCL is dangerous on aluminum I think either will etch or dissolve and its use on aluminum is not recommended, but like with anything the concentration and way it is used matters a lot.

brake pads are now all ceramic, but when they were mostly semi-metallic prior to the market becoming all ceramic brake pads however long ago, wheel cleaners with high concentration of HCL and when the wheels were chrome did a great job of removing the brake dust (iron) from the wire/chrome wheels. needed to be careful of spraying wire wheel cleaner with HCL and not let it dry on paint or clearcoat or it would stain/etch and the same with on glass.

For unpainted steel HCL does an ok job of removing rust if it's strong enough and is often used to de-rust and prep steel for painting.

oxalic acid, just gave away an old west marine bottle of it that you mix with water, used often for boat hull cleaning algae and for brightening/bleaching teak wood. I don't think oxalic hurts aluminum as bad as HCL and is considered slightly safer than HCL on aluminum or steel in some respects but can still easily discolor or etch various metals and finishes so you have to be careful. and oxalic acid can really fume and stink.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast