autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car care ?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Car care ?

im getting my new car soon and I was wondering how you guys keep your car looking new for years. I heard I should wax my car every 3 months and hand wash my own car instead of going to car washes, but the thing is i dont have a garage so im afraid when i wash my car and try to wax it dirts going to come back on it eating the clear coat up. what should i do to keep my paint last a long time? and how to take care of interior as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car care ?

There are a million possibilities but here is my approach for my daily driver parked outside. Clay, seal, paste wax. Weekly wash and use any of the popular spray waxes out there as a drying agent. I use OCW and McKees Fast Wax for my drying agent. Once or twice a year I hit it with clay and AIO (360 is what I use) followed by sealer and paste wax. You will not get wax buildup from spray wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Work in Shade.. Invest in a canopy

Post Thanks / Like
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Do not let the dealership touch it for washing or cleaning
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Car washes with brushes are a GIANT NO.

I would clay it 2x a year and make sure to keep a sealant and/or wax on it.
    Like @goldenlight said, maybe invest in a canopy since a lot of products can't be applied in direct sunlight, and you may not have a lot of shade.
    I personally keep my interiors vacuumed out and invest in a nice interior detailer for the dash, etc. Easiest way to keep an interior nice is don't allow eating or drinking in it. But if you do and a spill happens, just make sure to address it and clean it immediately.

Good luck and enjoy the new car! Make sure to post pics
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

This isn’t really the forum for it, but many car washes have come a long way. Sure they aren’t hardcore autogeek level car care venues but the ones around me IMO do a good job. There is not much marring. Almost none have brushes anymore at least around here. The product they use for the LSP beads very well. Not sure about longevity but obviously you could choose that option each visit. They are costly though IMO. Much cheaper if you buy a monthly pass but only worth while if you actually use it a few times a week.

No shame on using one perhaps ask for a recommendation in your area.

On the flip side doing your own car care could be worse if you use poor technique and products. Poor quality or dirty towels are gonna mar your paint when drying worse than the automated car wash. There is a pretty significant up front investment to care for your own car but to the majority on here it’s worth it and most of us have way more actual products than we could ever use even taking care of multiple cars a day

So keep in mind first comes reading Mikes articles, then picking all the equipment and products you want to use. Ask along the way there are sun friendly products out there. Then you have to actually go out and wash the car, prep it and protect it. Then for the multiple washes a month after to care for it. Some don’t have or want to dedicate that kind of time.

Good luck to you whichever you choose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I would look into Optimum No-Rinse and Optimum Car wax to maintain your car. This is what I use on customers who get a basic detail from me. If you search on YouTube for Yvan Lacroix he shows how to wash and wax your car in about an hour. Car care product technology has come a long way. The old "was your car every 3 months" adage is as antiquated as changing your oil every 3k miles.

I recommend this because it is super simple and super effective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely invest in some quality equipment and products. Never touch the exterior paint with kitchen sponges or cheap microfiber towels. Work in the shade and sing while you work. Enjoy the experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast