autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

LC Foamed wool on long throw orbital....appropriate thickness?

So I'm looking to pick up a handful of pads with the sale going on right now for testing purposes going forward.

I'm really intrigued by the LC foamed wool pads as lots of people have been getting great results with them on DA machines. To me, the 1/4" thin pad is the obvious choice for an underpowered machine, such as my MT300 or gg3.

Where I'm getting confused is what I should be looking at for my g15. The 1" pad seems to be about the same nominal 'thickness' as the rupes foam or other similar pads out there, but the thinner pads I imagine would cut like crazy on a long throw.

So what is recommended? Should I get one of each and just see what's up?

Mike Phillips

Re: LC Foamed wool on long throw orbital....appropriate thickness?

With longer fiber pads on free spinning oscillating tools - if I remember correctly, the fibers more or less just wiggle back and forth.

I think Todd Helme had a great summary of how long fiber pads work on orbital polishers somewhere in the blogosphere.

That said, might be time for a fresh test and a fresh set of eyes to test and re-evaluate this option.

Post Thanks / Like

I may need to order the longer fiber pads. I just submitted an order that includes a 2pk of the thin ones, so if there's any possibility of a hook-up for some testing, it would be greatly appreciated

I'm setting myself up for quite a bit of product and pad testing over this winter!

Post Thanks / Like

I so wish I lived near you and let you borrow a few of my blue foamed wool LC Hydro's. I would be curious of the results you might get.

Just last weekend I one stepped a white BMW 335 with those pads and Menzerna HCC 400. I was amazed at 2 things...first, how well Menz 400 finished down and second, how incredibly superb the blue foamed wool finished down. I did about 4 test areas and that combo was the best bang for the buck!

I should say, though, it was all done with my Flex 3401. I'd be curious how those pads would behave on a long throw.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I so wish I lived near you and let you borrow a few of my blue foamed wool LC Hydro's. I would be curious of the results you might get.

Just last weekend I one stepped a white BMW 335 with those pads and Menzerna HCC 400. I was amazed at 2 things...first, how well Menz 400 finished down and second, how incredibly superb the blue foamed wool finished down. I did about 4 test areas and that combo was the best bang for the buck!

I should say, though, it was all done with my Flex 3401. I'd be curious how those pads would behave on a long throw.
    The ones I'm talking about are the purple foamed wool. Did you use the long or short nap? Menz 400 is a really impressive product. I'm planning on using the short naps I just ordered with jescar compound on some heavier defects just to see what happens.

I would think you'd need extremely light pressure on a long throw with the 1" nap wool pads to ensure they keep spinning for them to really work.

Post Thanks / Like

I have those too (PFW) but liked the blues better. I usually work the PFW's on my rotary and have always had to refine the finish. Again, I'm using a short throw DA.

Post Thanks / Like

So I was able to find the blue ones you're talking about, they're part of the LC hybrid line. Here's the description from AG:

"5.25 inch Lake Country Force Hybrid Wool Pad (Single)
    5.25 inch Force Hybrid Blue Wool Pad – This wool pad is similar to the regular purple foamed wool pad but has more foam in the core, making it denser. The foam-wool composition means this pad sheds less, cuts better, and leaves a smoother finish than a standard wool pad."

With that said, it makes sense that a longer nap SHOULD work better on a forced DA and that a shorter nap should work better on a free spinning DA. Maybe I'll have to pick up a long nap pad just to compare between the two using the same product, and see how easy it is to keep the long nap spinning.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

The Japanese detailing scene uses wool like the purple and blue foamed wools on Rupes 21 MKII’s to make quick work of serious defects. They also employ faster arm speeds and larger sections.

9. Likes Joel1979 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used the short nap pads with my mkll 15 and have had great results. I have mainly have used M100 and M105. Great cutting and finishing.