autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Professional Ceramic Coating Problems and can I top it with a coating from AG?

Okay so I paid to have a professional ceramic coating installed on both of my cars. The first one had a bunch of high spots and the installer came back out and polished it menzerna 2500 and it took care of most of the hight spots. He then washed it and dried it and left. He said the polish didn't remove the coating, just the high spots. I got good water beading out of it so I didn't think anything about it. I then had our other car done and it is much better, but still has high spots. I have a da polisher and was going to order some menzerna polishes to get the remaining high spots off of both cars. The coating looks like it works well as I don't get any marks in it when washing or quick detailing so I know it is still woking. My question is, after polishing out the high spots, can I top it with another ceramic coating or only a wax or polymer sealant? The clean coating surface isn't super slick like I like my paint finishes to be. I want a super slick finish with the protection of the ceramic coating.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Professional Ceramic Coating Problems and can I top it with a coating from AG?

You can and should reapply a nano coating to any area that has been polished.

Nano coatings are exceptionally thin, so any sort of abrasive (polish, compound, etc) has the chance of degrading or completely removing the coating. Water beading is not a sign of protection, so do not be fooled by beading or lack of beading... just apply more product in the areas that have been polished

"Slickness" is not a trait of most nano coatings. For what it's worth, slickness is a rather useless trait altogether in my opinion. Aside from feeling "good", there is no real benefit to having a slick surface. A hydrophobic surface will resist dirt and grime while making cleaning much easier, regardless of if the surface is slick to the touch or not (note: I am not referring to a rough surface that is covered in contaminates). If you want to enhance the slickness while also adding more protection on top of your coating, use a silica based coating topper like CarPro Reload, GTechniq C2, Gyeon Cure, etc.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Professional Ceramic Coating Problems and can I top it with a coating from AG?

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    You can and should reapply a nano coating to any area that has been polished.

Nano coatings are exceptionally thin, so any sort of abrasive (polish, compound, etc) has the chance of degrading or completely removing the coating. Water beading is not a sign of protection, so do not be fooled by beading or lack of beading... just apply more product in the areas that have been polished

"Slickness" is not a trait of most nano coatings. For what it's worth, slickness is a rather useless trait altogether. Aside from feeling "good", there is no real benefit to having a slick surface. A hydrophobic surface will resist dirt and grime while making cleaning much easier, regardless of if the surface is slick to the touch or not (note: I am not referring to a rough surface that is covered in contaminates). If you want to enhance the slickness and protection on top of your coating, use a silica based coating topper like CarPro Reload, GTechniq C2, Gyeon Cure, etc.
    Kinda what I thought. What coating is the most compatible that AG sells? I will be topping a pro series ceramic coating with a consumer coating that AG would sell so I want to make sure it is compatible. I have about an ounce of the coating that he used on my vehicles but that won't be enough since he polished one entire vehicle after installing the coating and I have to polish out high spots on the coating that was just installed. Kinda frustrating

Post Thanks / Like

1 oz = 30 mL

That is absolutely enough to do more than 1 full vehicle.

What coating was used?

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Am I alone in my hesitation to switch to ceramic coatings right now? If even the professionals often can't get it right, it strengthens my belief that these coatings are just way too super finicky to apply. It feels like the moon needs to be aligned perfectly in order to get the job done right. There aren't any issues like that with regular sealants and waxes. And honestly, how much better is the protection of ceramics anyways? It's not like they resist stone chips, and I know they can be more resistant to scratches but if you're super careful with your paint care methods anyhow that's typically not an issue. Ceramics seem to be a better choice for people that want to never work on their paint at all, not really for "home detailers" like ourselves that like to tinker.

I still might dive into ceramic coatings at some point in the future, but only once I have found a truly user friendly DIY product. Until then I will stick with the old tried and true methods of finish protection. I know a ton of Corvette owners who have 10,15, even 20 year old cars that have paint that still looks like new (sometimes better!) and have never used ceramic coatings.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Zach said that should be plenty of coating to top your car. If you wanted to “top it” with something from this site I would go Gyeon can coat, Gyeon booster, cure or carpro reload

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how menzerna 2500 didn't take ALL the coating off wherever he used it?

Get some suede towels that's what I did not even 1 high spot on black too

Post Thanks / Like

Can you share which coating you had applied? That might help us make a recommendation. I use opti-seal on top of opti-gloss as a drying aid every other couple of washes and it works well for me. I also like that I can use it on trim and glass.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patman22 View Post
    Am I alone in my hesitation to switch to ceramic coatings right now? If even the professionals often can't get it right, it strengthens my belief that these coatings are just way too super finicky to apply. It feels like the moon needs to be aligned perfectly in order to get the job done right. There aren't any issues like that with regular sealants and waxes. And honestly, how much better is the protection of ceramics anyways? It's not like they resist stone chips, and I know they can be more resistant to scratches but if you're super careful with your paint care methods anyhow that's typically not an issue. Ceramics seem to be a better choice for people that want to never work on their paint at all, not really for "home detailers" like ourselves that like to tinker.

I still might dive into ceramic coatings at some point in the future, but only once I have found a truly user friendly DIY product. Until then I will stick with the old tried and true methods of finish protection. I know a ton of Corvette owners who have 10,15, even 20 year old cars that have paint that still looks like new (sometimes better!) and have never used ceramic coatings.
    If'n you wanna try a coating at a lower cost and is easy to apply, give Gyeon CanCoat a try. Easier to apply than a Quick Detailer, great gloss and protection.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure whoever did your coating is really a pro. Someone that calls him/herself a pro should be able to do it w/o leaving high spots. Even amateurs know to look for those because it's easy to forget and then it looks bad when it cures.
    Bruno Soares

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast