autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to clean fragile interiors?

I just purchased a used Audi, and it has that soft touch coating on almost the entire interior, including the radio and climate controls. I'm slowly replacing all the parts that have the coating scratched or worn off. What is recommended to protect the new surfaces and keep this from happening again? I'm afraid to use something too aggressive that will weaken or break down the coating over time. I was looking at Wolfgang Cockpit as it seems like it seals the surface and might add some protection from skin oils, heat, etc.

I've also noticed with most Fords, Chryslers and some other vehicles, that the printed labels wipe off very easily. I wiped down one of our work trucks with basic Armor All (I know it sucks, but it's what was available at the time), and the labels and text on the wiper and turn signal stalks smeared and wiped off. I also tried BlackMagic interior wipes and they weren't much better. It seems especially challenging when there's years of grime and/or makeup to remove without damaging the print. Is there a product thats generally "safe" to use in these interiors? How does everyone else tackle these situations?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to clean fragile interiors?

Meguiar's Quik interior detailer. Its about all you need and a couple MF towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Im not sure what that soft touch coating is but I use pinnacle vinyl and rubber cleaner and conditioner on my interior. Its pricey but its better then all the other ones I tried including 303, meguiars, griots and others. Also these new suede towels they have now are very gentle. Ive got a few different ones from carpro and others but the softest most delicate ones are called magic fiber. its unbelievably soft and its supposed to be for cleaning delicate surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Im not sure what that soft touch coating is but I use pinnacle vinyl and rubber cleaner and conditioner on my interior. Its pricey but its better then all the other ones I tried including 303, meguiars, griots and others. Also these new suede towels they have now are very gentle. Ive got a few different ones from carpro and others but the softest most delicate ones are called magic fiber. its unbelievably soft and its supposed to be for cleaning delicate surfaces.
    A good MF towel is probably more important when it comes to scratch sensitivity. Good recommendation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    A good MF towel is probably more important when it comes to scratch sensitivity. Good recommendation.
    This. Interiors aren't difficult as most everything is just dirt that a high quality short-nap MF and a little cleaner will remove with ease. On stubborn marks, just dab it with some cleaner and let it soak for a few minutes and wipe.

What year/model?
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I like to do a monthly wipe down with a microfiber towel soaked in ONRWW solution. As long as you don't let the interior go too long you shouldn't need anything more aggressive. I see the print getting wiped away on older vehicle that need to be cleaned with APC. this is always something I warn the owner about. The German cars love that rubber coating stuff. BMW, VW, and Audi all seem to have it and it sucks. Cleaning with harsh chemicals can strip it but really its going to come off over time just from touching items constantly. Really cant do anything about it but understand it WILL happen.