autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 37 of 59 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

Very good review gregpack and is deserving of its own thread. You and rippyd are doing a great job determining which sealant is the toughest, just going about it with different methods. It’s great that you have access to a touchless car wash as I’ve often wondered the effect of car washes on sealants and paint. Where I live you can not choose to leave off the wax and just get a wash so I only take my mother’s car through. The wax definitely messes up any coating I have on the car. Drive on.

2. Thanks gregpack thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rippy.
    year is your Cayman? It’s a 2018, tried getting an older used model but gave up as couldn’t find what I wanted. (I wanted the flat six). DG 111 on Cayman looks great (GT metallic silver). Applied by itself. May try on my M4 next year ( its metallic grey n should look really good ). To many sealants n waxez n coatings n not enough cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, had this real estate on my hood being unused by the AIOs, so I thought I would test a couple of sprays in their old spots:

Shown is at (12 o'clock) Duragloss 931 with Aquawax mixed at detail spray strength, (6 o'clock)Meguiars express spray wax as an RTU product, and (3 o'clock)Optimum No rinse wash and wax. I'm going to have to double check my ratios but I believe I mixed it at 8 ounces/gallon.

Initial wash:

After Three washes:

So is it possible that Duragloss or Meguiars X-press spray wax is more durable than the protective qualities of the Meguiars D166 and HD Speed ? I may have to run some tests

As far as the rest of the vehicle, we're close to 24 washes in, or six months worth of touch free washes. I may try to accelerate failure on the hood by scrubbing with a foaming brush.

5. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So the ONRWW and duragloss are holding up ? I think the AIOs really don’t last the oils or whatever fillers they have that bead come off with any sort of water and soap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    So the ONRWW and duragloss are holding up ? I think the AIOs really don’t last the oils or whatever fillers they have that bead come off with any sort of water and soap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The optimum quit beading. Meguiars and Durgloss sprays are the products holding up. I predict Duragloss will be the wash durability winner. RippyD's longevity test indicated both lasted about the same amount of time ( 8 weeks or so). I do like Meguiar's Xpress Wax because of it's ease of use and versatility (including interior wipe down). But price per ounce on the duragloss is going to be really good. Taking autogeeks retail price Meguiars is $9.50/qt as an RTU product, Duragloss is mixed up as a detail spray at $4.50 a quart.

Post Thanks / Like

Duragloss 931 as a detailer is awesome! The durability is very good,it looks good,and it leaves a slick finish. Top Notch stuff.

9. Likes VISITOR, dlc95, gregpack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AllenK View Post
    Duragloss 931 as a detailer is awesome! The durability is very good,it looks good,and it leaves a slick finish. Top Notch stuff.
    agreed, no need to buy aquawax. i dilute this 10:1 (my preference) and it works very well..
    i was never impressed with onrww, had a gallon barely used it and got rid of it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    A few things are they failing or just being masked because of the soaps/chemicals used?? Maybe try a reset wash and then drive through again just to make sure??

Also so I'm clear in case I missed something this is a touchless wash correct so no brushes??

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Sometimes, even after a touchless wash, a residue can remain on the surface.

One of the cars I do gets a touchless wash, and they maintain it with Megs Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax. I put M21 on it over the summer, like mid July. Still beading pretty good, but I'm going to be applying DG111 to it in a week or so for the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gregpack View Post
    I'm going to assume not necessary because all the products are getting the same treatment. You can see which ones are still beading nicely HOWEVER, I will say that if I spray water on my dry hood many of these products are still beading. So they may still be offering some level of protection. I'll be the first to admit that this "study" is unscientific, but if greater hydrophobic qualities= greater protection then you can make some assumptions by their observed behavior.

Correct, this is a touch free wash. I have a friction wash I may try soon and attempt to accelerate failure of products.
    I've witnessed a couple products do well in a friction wash environment.

Probably the most remarkable to me was Collinite 476s, but the brushes there were really soft and broken in. There were only three per side.

The others were the original formula Turtle Wax Ice Paste, and at the other car wash with four side washers per side was Duragloss 111 on the bosses black Lincoln, and believe it or not Zymol Concours on his corvette. Granted, the Lincoln was washed weekly, and the vette was washed a couple times a month.

The 476s was on a customer car, and I only saw it a a few times.

Ice Paste was on the manager's car. In the spring I asked if he waxes his car because the beading was still there.

111 died in about six months, maybe a little earlier on the sides.

He sold the vette before I saw any degradation.

13. Thanks gregpack thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, Guys, I washed in one of my hand bay by spraying the hood with self serve presoak, then scrubbing normally with a foam brush. This did indeed accelerate failure of several products.

Anyway, 25 washes and six weeks in:

The foam brush scrubbing did the turtle wax ultimate paste, TW xpress spray wax, and duragloss 105 in. It weakened the others.

I'm giving a thumbs up to Duragloss 501, Sonax PNS, Jescar Powerlock and Collonite 845 for withstanding the onslaught of alkaline presoaks. If I continued this test I predict Collonite would outlast them all because it is more hydrophobic than the others.

As far as the the shootout between the xpress spay wax, ONR with wax (at detail spray strength), and duragloss 931, I'm about eight washes in and as you can see the duragloss is the winner! It's a little smeary and requires two towels, but I really do like this product. It's lasted as long or longer than Optimum Optiseal. Most of you guys are going to finish up a job with a spray wax or detail spray, so I recommend you try a bottle.

The true disappointments in this durability test were the AIOs(Klasse, HDSpeed, and Meguiars 166) and HD Poxy (again a 2016 version of this product. A newer veriosn is supposedly more durable).

Following this round I'm culling optiseal because Duragloss 931 lasted longer in both RippyDs longevity test AND my durability test. However, I'm willing to hear from you guys as to why I should keep it around. And unless someone can point me to a benefit of DG 105 I'm cutting it in favor of just using 501. And although I have some 601 on hand I'm getting rid of it too. Frankly I just don't see a need for it with 501 holding up as well as it is.

I'm going to conduct one more brief test run and will try a couple of new things:

• I'm going to try McKees 360 as a potential AIO since several posters on this site claim it has both decent cut and good longevity.
    • I'm also going to try topping one or more AIOs with a spray (UFF and/or Duragloss 931) and see how that improves durability. If I can get 12 washes out of an AIO topped with an easy to apply and inexpensive spray wax I'm good with that. However, I'm not going to wait hours for the base product to cure. The cover product is going on within 15 minutes or so of the base, simulating a paid express detail job.
    • I'm going to retest optimum no rinse with wax at a very concentrated ratio and see if I can get any more durability.
    • Finally I'm going to try 303 spray wax since it fared so well in RippyDs longevity tests and is priced reasonable enough. It may be serious competition for some more expensive products.

15. Thanks Diner, MattPersman thanked for this post
Page 37 of 59 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast