autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 53 of 59 FirstFirst ... 34344454647484950515253545556575859 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreBlackCars View Post
    Thanks Rippy for the clarification. It's suprising to me that in your test FK1000P didn't do as well as 845 and that 915 was so far back from them, since the majority opinion (rarely, it seems, based on back-to-back testing) is that FK1000P, Collinite 476, and DG 111 are the most durable, with 915 a step back and 845 even more. I could see how the difference could be due to wet vs. hot & dry climate, or due to just lack of controlled testing aside from yours.

PaulMys, thanks for the tip. I prefer the 476 application process as you describe it so I'll opt for that over 845.

So I'm gearing up for a 4-way test of 476, 1000P, 111, and PNS on the hood. Will be testing for durability through the rainy NW fall/winter, but also, in order of priority, for water spotting, contaminant resistance, dirt and dust shedding, and water behavior. On the adjacent fenders I have Gtechniq CSL topped with Can Coat, applied only 3 weeks ago, so that will be fascinating to compare alongside the sealants.

A big part of what I'm testing for is how pristine these protectants will keep the finish on my soft jet black paint. Coatings are great in a few ways, including a little bit of marring resistance and preventing contaminants from etching into the clear coat, but in my limited experience they are themselves fragile in terms of susceptibility to etching from water spots, and even, in some cases, bug guts and bird bombs, which makes them like a thin fragile clear coat that must be protected as much if not more than the clear coat itself.
    I've seen the same thing you're seeing with coatings in our environment. A while back I posted pros/cons for coatings in a wet environment - I'll try to find it. There were far more cons than pros. Water spotting is one of the biggest downsides. I know people will suggest topping the coating to prevent spotting. This leads to the question I've asked many times: if I have to top a coating what's the point of using one? At that point it's like a less manageable clear coat because you can't polish out water spots or scratches.

Your sealant testing sounds great. Looking forward to seeing your results. No question I need to re-test Collinite 476. My 476 results seem questionable based on anecdotal feedback and need to validated.

My plan is to get ~5-8 long lasting sealants on the Rover before it gets cold out so I can test them over Fall/Winter/Spring. Likely DG 111, Collinite 845 and 915, DG 104, Mystery Sealant #5, FK 1000P, and PNS. I may also add I may get Collinite 476 as well.

The downside is that I won't get any othre testing done for ~9-10 months. The Sentra is going away to college with my daughter and the Boxster is mostly garaged November-April. I need more cars!
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

2. Likes NoMoreBlackCars, PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    A while back I posted pros/cons for coatings in a wet environment - I'll try to find it. There were far more cons than pros. Water spotting is one of the biggest downsides. I know people will suggest topping the coating to prevent spotting. This leads to the question I've asked many times: if I have to top a coating what's the point of using one? At that point it's like a less manageable clear coat because you can't polish out water spots or scratches.
    I'd love to see that pro/con post. I can agree I see more cons now, but I probably haven't thought of or experienced everything. As far as water spots, I would think that many dryer but hotter climates would make it as much if not more of an issue. But I imagine the mineral and contaminant content of water is a huge factor, maybe the biggest factor. Perhaps unique aspect of the PNW is how road grime and tree sap mix constantly with rain onto the paint, so there's constantly a lot besides just minerals in the water that dries on the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    My plan is to get ~5-8 long lasting sealants on the Rover before it gets cold out so I can test them over Fall/Winter/Spring. Likely DG 111, Collinite 845 and 915, DG 104, Mystery Sealant #5, FK 1000P, and PNS. I may also add I may get Collinite 476 as well.

The downside is that I won't get any othre testing done for ~9-10 months. The Sentra is going away to college with my daughter and the Boxster is mostly garaged November-April. I need more cars!
    It would be amazing to have two concurrent tests of the top sealants in essentially the climate. And there's always more to test, so yeah, more vehicles would be nice. My main car is tiny and my beater vehicle has primer and rust showing through everywere. But perhaps I could polish the petrified mold off my partner's car roof and make it a test panel. I don't even wash it because it gets absolutely neglected and abused, like so many PNW vehicles... She has never washed it in 5 years, it is always parked under our huge old fir trees that shed needles and spit sap and aphid juice, it gets driven on forest roads and scraped up against bushes etc., and its got it's fair share of dents and RIDS. I refuse to take on the whole exterior. But a panel, now I could do that for the sake of experimenting.

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreBlackCars View Post
    It would be amazing to have two concurrent tests of the top sealants in essentially the climate. And there's always more to test, so yeah, more vehicles would be nice. My main car is tiny and my beater vehicle has primer and rust showing through everywere. But perhaps I could polish the petrified mold off my partner's car roof and make it a test panel. I don't even wash it because it gets absolutely neglected and abused, like so many PNW vehicles... She has never washed it in 5 years, it is always parked under our huge old fir trees that shed needles and spit sap and aphid juice, it gets driven on forest roads and scraped up against bushes etc., and its got it's fair share of dents and RIDS. I refuse to take on the whole exterior. But a panel, now I could do that for the sake of experimenting.
    Agree - this will be awesome.

Found my old post on coating pros/cons here. Pasted in below. Added some comments in bold. Note that my typical daily commute is ~10 miles on the freeway with rain, 5 days/week. It's rains for ~8 months of the year. That's a lot of road grime.

Coating pros
    • More durable (edit: sheets water longer)
    • Many claim they are more self-cleaning (I haven't seen this)
    • Some claim they look better than sealants (I haven't seen this)

Coating cons
    • Cost
    • Generally takes more time and care to apply (some exceptions)
    • Harder to maintain (for cars in weather)
    • Can be more prone to spotting, spots often can't be removed (edit: without damaging or removing the coating)
    • Can't be easily touched up
    • May collect road grime faster (edit: others disagree - I noticed this with a baggie test)
    • Most have a short shelf life - leftover product is generally not usable after a few weeks

Sealant pros
    • Generally easier to apply
    • Less expensive
    • Easier to maintain and remove
    • Can easily be reapplied when needed
    • Long shelf life

Sealant cons
    • Not as durable

6. Likes PaulMys, NoMoreBlackCars, acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Washed the Rover and Sentra with CarPro Reset and a Big Red Sponge. Washed the Boxster with N-914 as rinseless ratio using Everest 800 MF towels. (The Everest 800 is a very different towel from 550. I should do a review of them.)

The Rover video below shows a vertical section of door with no product clearing on ~11 seconds (2:05 - 2:14). Any product clearing water this slowly are really no better than nothing. For this reason I'm calling Can Coat and DG coating done on the Rover. Note that most of the new products on the driver side doors are sheeting water fairly slowly after less than a week. Only MS#1 is sheeting water in 1 second. Other products sheet water faster for several weeks or months after being applied.

DG coating, CanCoat, and BeadMaker are done.

Rover (video)
    • CanCoat - clearing in ~12 seconds - calling it done
    • MS #6 - 5 seconds
    • Red Mist - 3 seconds
    • Showstopper - 5 seconds
    • DP Spray Sealant - 4 seconds
    • Hydro Max - 3 seconds
    • Sonus Glanz - 4 seconds
    • Rupes P808 - 4 seconds
    • Mothers Speed Wax - 5 seconds
    • MS #1 - 1 second
    • CGV07 - 4 seconds
    • DG coating - ~11 seconds - calling it done

Sentra (video)
    • Bead Maker - 14 seconds - calling it done
    • CarPro EliXir (QD) - 2 seconds
    • Scholl Concepts Barracuda - 2 seconds
    • BF synthetic spray wax - 3 seconds
    • DG 931 as a QD - 2 second

Boxster (video)
    • Hydro2 - 3 seconds
    • Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic - 3 seconds
    • McKee's Hydro Blue - 3 seconds
    • Sonax Spray and Seal - 1 second
    • Reload + Ech20 - 2 seconds

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Results from last weekend and earlier this week. Washed the Rover and Sentra with CarPro Reset and a Big Red Sponge. Washed the Boxster with N-914 as rinseless ratio using Everest 800 MF towels.

I somehow didn't get video of the passenger side of the Rover so I don't have results. Will get those this weekend.

BF Synthetic wax on the Sentra is done. I also polished the driver side doors of the Sentra to apply new product. Not sure what to apply since this car is going away to college in a few weeks. I may test waterless washes. Video of that side with no product shows it clearing in 10-12 seconds.

Rover (video)
    • MS #6 - no video
    • Red Mist - no video
    • Showstopper - no video
    • DP Spray Sealant - no video
    • Hydro Max - 7 seconds
    • Sonus Glanz - 5 seconds
    • Rupes P808 - 6 seconds
    • Mothers Speed Wax - 6 seconds
    • MS #1 - 3 seconds
    • CGV07 - 6 seconds

Sentra (video)
    • CarPro EliXir (QD) - 2 seconds
    • Scholl Concepts Barracuda - 3 seconds
    • BF synthetic spray wax - 15 seconds - calling it done
    • DG 931 as a QD - 3 seconds

Boxster (video)
    • Hydro2 - 5 seconds
    • Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic - 4 seconds
    • Reload + Ech20 - 4 seconds

Post Thanks / Like

Washed the Rover and Sentra with CarPro Reset and a Big Red Sponge. Boxster is at work with the wife until tomorrow. CGV07 on the Rover is done.

Added 4 waterless wash products to the Sentra driver side doors. They were previously polished with a black pad and DG Squeaky Clean then washed twice with CarPro Reset.

Sealant comparison-nq6mg4m-jpg

Rover (video)
    • MS #6 - 3 seconds
    • Red Mist - 3 seconds
    • Showstopper - 8 seconds
    • DP Spray Sealant - 3 seconds
    • Hydro Max - 4 seconds
    • Sonus Glanz - 6 seconds
    • Rupes P808 - 5 seconds
    • Mothers Speed Wax - 7 seconds
    • MS #1 - 2 seconds
    • CGV07 - 10 seconds (calling it done)

Sentra (video)
    • CarPro EliXir (QD) - 3 seconds
    • Scholl Concepts Barracuda - 5 seconds
    • DG 931 as a QD - 4 seconds
    • Ultima Waterless - TBD
    • ONR - TBD
    • Mystery #7 - TBD
    • Uber - TBD

11. Thanks DetailZeus thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for keeping us updated.

What are you evaluating about the WW products?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to evaluate water sheeting longevity. This occurred to me when I was looking for short-term products to test before the Sentra goes away to college next month. Since I'm getting weeks of longevity from DG 931 as a waterless I wanted to see how the others will compare. I already had them in sprayers so it seemed like an easy choice. This won't work if any of them last more than 3 weeks.

I have one door free on the Rover and I'm hoping two others will be done soon. I want to get some long term products applied before it gets too cold for them to cure well. Planning to apply:

DG 104
    Collinite 845
    FK 1000P
    Collinite 915
    DG 111
    Sonax PNS
    Mystery #5
    Sonus SFX-4 (maybe)

It would be good to leave some space so I can test other products. If I cover the Rover with products that last ~10 months I won't be able to try any other products until June.

Post Thanks / Like

Testing the Boxster today and the new products on the Sentra.

Washed the Sentra and Boxster with N-914 rinseless using MF towels. Waterless products on the Sentra aren't doing a great job of sheeting water except for Ultima. Sonax Spray and Seal on the Boxster is still impressive, clearing the panel almost immediately after 13 weeks. This needs another test on the Rover to see how it does outside.

Hydro2 and Reload + Ech2o on the Boxster are done.

Sentra (video)
    • Ultima Waterless - 1 second
    • ONR - 6 seconds
    • Mystery #7 - 4 seconds
    • Uber - 7 seconds

Boxster (video)
    • Hydro2 - 12 seconds - calling it done
    • Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic - 6 seconds
    • Reload + Ech20 - 15 seconds - calling it done

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As you're thinking of doing this group again, what buff-off times would you recommend for the tin waxes?

Double coats of anything, either last time or next?

Page 53 of 59 FirstFirst ... 34344454647484950515253545556575859 LastLast