autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 50 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4041424344454647484950515253545556575859 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

4.5 month update, correct?

Wowza, go 845

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    4.5 month update, correct?

Wowza, go 845
    Yes, 4.5 months for the products on the driver side doors. CanCoat has been going for over a year. The products on the rear panels were applied July 22 (passenger) and Aug 10 (driver). Details in the spreadsheet in my signature.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

3. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Been forever since I updated. I did testing in March, April, and today. Results below and spreadsheet is updated. I added some new products to the Sentra and the Boxster in the last few weeks. Hoping to add some to the Rover if I can get a weekend without rain.

I didn't do a good job of tracking the sealants where I used DG 601 (polish bonding agent). I can say without a doubt that all the sealants had less longevity using 601. I'd have to test again to give good numbers, but I'd guess between 30-50% less time. It is good for getting your sealants to cure quickly.

I'll work on getting videos posted to show that I did the tests on those dates. Will work on that tonight or tomorrow. As usual, they're hard to see with white paint.

March 8 Rover tests
    • CanCoat - still working and clearing in ~12-20 seconds
    • MS #5 is still working on the drivers side (I had this wrong last time - passenger side is done)
    • DG coating taking 10 seconds on passenger and 15 seconds on driver's side
    • Collinite 845 - clearing in ~5 seconds. It's clears notably faster than anything else
    • Finish Kare 1000p is done
    • Duragloss 104 clearing in ~10 seconds
    • Collinite 915 - I called it done last time but it's still working, barely. Will move up the done date

April 12 Rover tests
    • CanCoat - still working and clearing in ~15-20 seconds
    • MS #5 is done
    • DG coating taking ~20+ seconds on passenger and 15 seconds on driver's side
    • Collinite 845 - clearing in ~5 seconds

Today
    • CanCoat - still working and clearing in ~15 seconds
    • DG coating taking ~15 seconds on drive side, done on passenger side
    • Collinite 845 - clearing in ~10 seconds

Added to the driver's side of the Sentra on May 28:
    • Aquawax (front half of front door)
    • Sonax High Speed Wax (rear half of the front door)
    • Rupes P808 (front half of rear door)
    • Bead Maker (rear half of rear door)

Sealant comparison-h4unkqm-jpg Sealant comparison-pkxupa9-jpg Sealant comparison-vrnyu3f-jpg

Added to the driver's side of the Boxster May 31:
    • Hydro2 to the front quarter panel
    • Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax to front half of door
    • McKee's Hydro Blue to the rear half of door
    • Sonax Spray and Seal to the rear quarter panel

Sealant comparison-wtebbyy-jpg

5. Thanks Strong66 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tested both the Boxster and the Sentra today with somewhat surprising results. Keep in mind the Boxster is garaged and the Sentra is outside 24x7 and has been driven 500 miles or so in the rain since these sealants were applied. The Boxster has been driven maybe 50 miles in that time.

As of this update I'm changing my measurement process a little. When filming I will stay on one product until it's clear or I call it done. This way even if you can't see it well you can get a sense of how long it's talking to clear water. I'm also checking this without video using a stopwatch. Those are the numbers you see below.

Sentra (video)
    • Aquawax - clearing in 12 seconds
    • Sonax High - 15 seconds
    • Rupes P808 - 45 seconds+
    • Bead Maker - 15 seconds

One not about times: the times on the Sentra with no product or slow product are very different than the times on other cars. The Boxster always clears faster, the Rover is 2nd, and the Sentra is always slower. I don't know if that's the paint, road grime, panel size, panel angles, or something else. Regardless, it's clear to that absolute times across multiple cars are not a good measure of performance. I need to look at how products compare to each other on the same car.

I initially washed the Sentra with N-914. Just to be safe I washed it again with Reset. Results were the same.

Two notable things from the Sentra: times seem a little slow, and P808 just doesn't work for me. I keep trying to get good and consistent results from this product and I it's not happening. At some point I just need to call it.

Boxster (video)
    • Hydro2 - 1 second
    • Meguiar's - 1 second
    • McKee's Hydro Blue - 1 second
    • Sonax Spray and Seal - 1 second

In contrast to the Sentra, water is flying off the Boxster. It's almost instantaneous. I can't keep water on the panels. So maybe it's not the products? Maybe I applied something else and forgot about it? The only other thing I could have applied would be another sealant at least 7-8 months ago, and no sealant I own performs this well after 7 months. I think the performance of these products is real. Note my comment above about the differences between cars. Note also that the Boxster paint is in far better condition than either the Rover or the Sentra. It gets driven less, not driven in harsh conditions, and gets corrected more often.

Just to be sure it was the products I used Duragloss Squeaky Clean on a section of the door to remove the sealants. I used a foam applicator to apply, MF to wipe off, and then washed that area with Reset twice before testing again. As you can see from the video, water movement slowed down considerably where I removed the sealant. I'll have to try these same 4 on the Sentra next to see how they perform.

Sealant comparison-a1fqnoy-jpg

Sealant comparison-isqqapn-jpg

7. Likes DetailZeus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I found an error int the spreadsheet. The cost data chart and numbers were WAY off. I knew something didn't look right but I didn't bother to check it. It was a stupid spreadsheet calculation error (details below if interested). 100% my fault, and this data has been wrong for a while. Very sorry about that. Link will show you the corrected data. Here is how it looks now:

Sealant comparison-gh2l5gh-jpg

So how did this happen, genius? Short answer: every product had the same cost rather than the actual cost due to a typo I made on the spreadsheet. Had I bothered to do a simple check of the numbers I would have caught it immediately. Below is what I think is the right representation of the cost data from my testing.

Longer, more nerdy explanation: Google Sheets is a very cool product. I use Excel at work frequently which is (imo) a far less cool product. One of the reasons is Google Sheets is so much nice is that it has arrays and a function called arrayformula(). These both let you populate multiple rows or columns rather than having the same formula in every cell. To calculate the cost per product I was using arrayformula() but had also copied it into every cell. So I was getting the cost for top of the list returned by arrayforumula() in every cell.

This kind of error is one of the reasons I hate doing calcs in spreadsheets. Far to easy to get one simple thing wrong and screw up the whole thing. Still on me that this error has been in there a while.

(FYI, Excel now has array formulas as well which helps. It's still lagging Google Sheets by a lot, imo.)

Post Thanks / Like

Was looking at the cost data chart and decided to re-test a couple. I ended up doing this for about a dozen and will need to do this for the other spray-on products. With previous quantity tests I was measuring the equivalent square footage for 1/2 a sedan on the Rover. It's not the same. The rover has larger, flatter panels. The Sentra has a lot of curves. edges, and the panels are all divided. This equals more time and more product applied. So for all my product amount/time testing going forward I will try to use 1/2 the Sentra to keep things consistent.

It took me this long to realize that there is a big difference in sprayers. Some of them will over-use product, some conserve it well. So when looking at my data you need to consider that. Assume for all the spray-on products that I over-used them by up to 2x. This is less of an issue with the smaller sprayers and misters. I am using the tiny misters some of these products come with and a 2L pressurized sprayer for the products I'm mixing myself. There is likely 5-10 the product applied from the large sprayer. So you need to take these results with some skepticism and look at overall trends as opposed to the rankings.

With the re-testing I did today, 303 Spray Wax is the most cost effective product. But within the limits of my testing and measuring, the top 10-15 are close and would all do well for you. And I haven't re-tested all the spray on products. This list will change as I re-test. I don't expect much change in the top 10, but we'll see.

I'm surprised to see 303 at the top of the list. Not because it's not a good product, but because I just don't hear much about it. My go to is usually Aquawax. It may be 303 going forward. And I tend to forget how good Optiseal is, and it's wipe-on-walk-away. Not at all surprised to see Collinite 845 and FK 1000 near the top. More effort to apply them, but you get 6+ months of protection.

Will try to get the rest of the sprays applied to the Sentra in the next week and then we'll see how the results look.

Sealant comparison-eachaxa-jpg

10. Likes Vegas1, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Washed the Boxster with N-914 as rinseless. Washed the Rover and the Sentra with Reset and a BRS.

Rover (pass side and driver side - video is terrible, only need to watch first 15 secs and 2:10-2:30)
    • CanCoat - clearing in 10-12 seconds. Working better than previously. Maybe due to warmer temps?
    • DG coating taking ~13 seconds on driver side
    • Collinite 845 - clearing in ~10 seconds
    • Duragloss 104 clearing in ~15 seconds

Note that several the done sealants are still working. They're just slow enough that I called them done and would want to re-apply on my car for better action. Track Claw, FK 1000, and DG coating are all still working, just slowly.

Sentra (video)
    • Aquawax - clearing in 10 seconds
    • Sonax High Speed Wax - 15 seconds
    • Bead Maker - 10 seconds

Boxster (video)
    • Hydro2 - 1 second
    • Meguiar's - 1 second
    • McKee's Hydro Blue - 1 second
    • Sonax Spray and Seal - 1 second

I added a couple of new products to the Rover pass side rear door: Dodo Juice Red Mist and MS #6. I also added Echo+Reload and DG 931 as a QD to the Rover hood (left and right sides respectively, facing the hood. Not sure I'll use these for testing as I'm doing vertical panels now rather than horizontal.

Sealant comparison-mghfdkv-jpg

I added a tab in the spreadsheet (look at the bottom) for the Mystery Sealants so you can see what they are. I replaced MS #2 and #3 with the product names since those were sold on AG after I did my tests. MS #2 is IGL Premier and MS #3 is Polish Angel Viking Shield. These two were traded to me by a pro member here.

12. Likes PaulMys, DetailZeus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Few more products added. I had samples but hadn't applied them yet. Finally got a dry day.

Applied DG Squeaky clean on both doors with a Lake Country blue pad, 3 passes. Wanted to be sure any old sealants were gone. Then washed with CarPro Reset. That was yesterday. Washed before application with N-914 rinseless. Here's a video of the sheeting with no product.

I added:
    • Scholl Concepts Barracuda Speed Wax
    • Blackfire synthetic spray wax
    • CarPro EliXir (QD)
    • Also added DG 931 as QD

Sealant comparison-2o7ecod-jpg

14. Likes DetailZeus, acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome stuff, Rippy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Few more products added. I had samples but hadn't applied them yet. Finally got a dry day.

Applied DG Squeaky clean on both doors with a Lake Country blue pad, 3 passes. Wanted to be sure any old sealants were gone. Then washed with CarPro Reset. That was yesterday. Washed before application with N-914 rinseless. Here's a video of the sheeting with no product.

I added:
    • Scholl Concepts Barracuda Speed Wax
    • Blackfire synthetic spray wax
    • CarPro EliXir (QD)
    • Also added DG 931 as QD

Sealant comparison-2o7ecod-jpg
    Out of all these have you seen anything bead or repel water better then PNS?? I'm not seeing anything do better especially if you topped with BSD to prolong it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Page 50 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4041424344454647484950515253545556575859 LastLast