autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 46 of 59 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    Rover video is blocked for me.

Did you ever score the 2 Essence, gloss and plus?

Be cool to see the plus durability and Essence gloss with some sealant like PNS on it. Or would that be cheating?
    This video link should work. Too late to go back and edit that post. (Rant: Google Photo should make this stuff dead simple and foolproof. They don't. It's never obvious which photos/vids are shared or not.)
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    RippyD which is the most durable spray wax or QD product that you have been testing?
    A little hard to answer because I don't entirely trust the hood tests or the products I've tested only once. Not enough runoff on the hood. I'm hoping to get everything re-tested on vertical panels at least twice to validate or correct the results.

Having said that, here's how I would pick for longevity based on the data:

• 303 Spray Wax looks good for longevity (can't be used as a drying aid)
    • Dodo Future Armour is excellent as well
    • Opt Spray Wax
    • DG 931 as a QD (This should not work this well - I'll keep testing it)
    • Reload
    • Rupes 808? (Has been inconsistent for me - has to be diluted to use as a drying aid)
    • Sonax BSD

A bunch of others seem to be in the 3-4 week range, depending on weather. My go-to has been Aquawax because it's cheap and I think it gives a great shine. This could be placebo effect - I haven't done blind testing side-by-side with another spray wax. When my Aquawax is gone I may switch to Future Armour or Opt. I want a spray that I can use as a drying aid.

3. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, SWETM, dlc95, Ochnob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update from the 13th:

The doors were quite dirty. I pressure washed, then use a Big Red Sponge with Duragloss Car Wash (the red stuff), then pressure washed to rinse.

Rover (Video)
    • OptiSeal and DG 104 slowing down. DG 104 is a little faster. Both are clearing in ~20 seconds or less
    • CanCoat doing very well and clearing quickly - a little slower than it was initially, but working well

I'm going to guess OptiSeal will be done in the next 2-3 weeks. No idea about DG 104. It's slowing down sooner than I expected.

Will try to several products applied in the next week or so. (I injured my knee and am not sure I can use a polisher. Maybe if I use a stool to sit while I polish?) I'd like to retest some of the products with only 1 test and maybe a couple with questionable results. The exact longevity for each product will vary. I think the trend is generally right, but I just want to be sure since I've switch from using mostly horizontal to exclusively vertical panels.

5. Likes SWETM, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    A little hard to answer because I don't entirely trust the hood tests or the products I've tested only once. Not enough runoff on the hood. I'm hoping to get everything re-tested on vertical panels at least twice to validate or correct the results.

Having said that, here's how I would pick for longevity based on the data:

• 303 Spray Wax looks good for longevity (can't be used as a drying aid)
    • Dodo Future Armour is excellent as well
    • Opt Spray Wax
    • DG 931 as a QD (This should not work this well - I'll keep testing it)
    • Reload
    • Rupes 808? (Has been inconsistent for me - has to be diluted to use as a drying aid)
    • Sonax BSD

A bunch of others seem to be in the 3-4 week range, depending on weather. My go-to has been Aquawax because it's cheap and I think it gives a great shine. This could be placebo effect - I haven't done blind testing side-by-side with another spray wax. When my Aquawax is gone I may switch to Future Armour or Opt. I want a spray that I can use as a drying aid.
    Thanks again for all you do Rippy!! You got me on the DG931 bandwagon and I have never looked back. Not only does it last longer that it should but I think it has better hydrophobicity than regular Aquawax. Keep testing it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Makes no sense to me and every time I test it I'm sure something is wrong. But it keeps performing. Next time I'll do DG931 and AW side by side and we'll see how it goes one more time.

I can't take credit for the DG931 trick. Somebody else here got me to try it. Can't recall who.

8. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Retesting 4 products on the Boxster doors. I pressure washed with no soap, then rinseless washed with N914. I didn't do any polishing before applying these. If I recall the last thing applied to this car was Sonax PNS back in October. Spreadsheet has been updated. Link in my sig.

The car got lightly rained on for about 2 hours after I applied these products. It has since been garaged for 36 hours. I'm not sure what impact the rain will have. If these results look too far off I'll toss them out and start over.

DG 931 as QD and DG FC&S + Aquawax (75%/25%) on the driver's door. FC&S toward the front of the car.

Ultima Spray Wax and Dodo Acrylic Spritz on the passenger door. Dodo toward the front of the car.

Weather permitting I'll get a few products on the other side of the Rover this weekend. I plan to re-test Rupes 808, McKee's Fast Wax, 303 Spray Wax, Optiseal, BF Crystal Seal, and Opt Spray wax due to the large discrepancies between the longest and shortest times I've gotten for them. Would be good to these dialed in a little better.

10. Thanks BillyJack thanked for this post
    Likes BillyJack, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be interested in seeing the results of that comparison, as I have and use both. FCS / AW is more user-friendly IMO, less sensitive to temp or humidity variations, but your longevity stats with 931 are just amazing.
    Thank you again for your diligent work, Sir.

Bill

12. Likes RippyD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree. AW is more more user friendly. 931 as a QD can be quite streaky and take more effort to buff out. AW is magical as a drying aid for me. On dark cars it looks spectacular. I haven't done a visual comparison between the two. I'll ask the wife for an opinion. (She never sees any difference. It's either shiny nor not.)

Post Thanks / Like

Update from June 2nd:

Cars were not very dirty. I pressure washed, washed with Big Red Sponge and DG Car Wash, then pressure washed to rinse.

The Boxster products aren't showing any difference, including the gaps between them. This isn't going to work. I need to polish and re-apply.

Rover Update (Video)
    • OptiSeal is done. I can't see any significant difference between the product and non-product areas. It did surprisingly well and better than I've seen previously. Have to wonder if using Reset car wash occasionally was a factor.
    • DG 104 is still working quite well with a very defined product area
    • CanCoat still doing the best

Will polish the Boxster doors and re-apply the same products this weekend

15. Thanks MattPersman thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, MattPersman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got the same products as shown above re-applied to the Boxster. I polished the doors with Menzerna 3800 (1-2 passes) and a white LC pad, then with McKee's Prep Polish and an LC black pad. I left a larger space between the two products this time.

Will test them in a few days.

Rover is doing the same as it was last time. CanCoat doing great, DG 104 doing well. Video here.

17. Likes SWETM, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
Page 46 of 59 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast