autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 42 of 59 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

DG104 ?. Do you mean 105 ?

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    DG104 ?. Do you mean 105 ?

Dave
    104 Paste Wax.

2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, something I did not know. Thanks

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Cliffs on the consensus of the most durable and long lasting product?

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to summarize for everyone because of different needs and preferences. If you like to wax your car and live where it's sunny, any of the products at last 4-8 weeks would be great. They'll give you more shine and will repel water. Where I live this isn't an option for 5 months out of the year.

For my conditions, Sonax PNS is a great option because of the longevity and easy application. Many of the rub-on-buff-off products are also excellent: FK 1000, Collinite 845, DG 111 and DG Track Claw all did about 6 months in winter. (Collinite is arguably the best looking. Side-by-side I couldn't find anybody who could tell me which one looked better.)

Coatings are longer lasting by far. Also more expensive, probably take more prep time, and may take some maintenance, especially if you live where it rains a lot.

Many good products here. If I could only have one it would probably be Sonax PNS. I can reapply PNS on a small car in 30 minutes or less. To be fair, the other products long-lasting products don't take much longer, you just have to wait for them to cure. If you use DG 601 with the DG 111 or Track Claw you can reduce the curing time dramatically.

To repeat what many before me have said: If you like to wax your car and can do it more frequently using a spray wax every few weeks will give great results. I would love to wax after washing every 3-4 weeks and always have a great looking car. A spray wax that can be used while drying is probably my favorite way to apply sealant. I'm drying anyway, so no additional effort. And I know that paint is as clean as it's going to get.

6. Likes Zoxx, Vegas1, cullen2505 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't edit my latest new product post so posting an update: Rover is back in the garage and the products are getting heat again. (Not sure if helps at this point.) Those products will have ~16 hours of ~80 degree temps + a 1.5 days exposed to colder temps outside. By tonight it will be out in the rain. Hope that's enough time + temp for CanCoat to cure.

I'll wash and do some testing early next week. I don't want to wash the coating too soon.

Edit: Wife doesn't work tonight so the Rover will get another 12 hours of garage time. Total will be ~28 of 80 degree temps + 2 days of cool and dry weather before it goes into the rain.

8. Likes Ochnob, MattPersman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

About two weeks in Reload is not doing well. Everything else is working fine with DG 932 as a QD being a little slower than the others. I may tape off the passenger door and re-apply Reload to give it another chance. Really struggling with this product.

This video is almost 3 mins long and hard to watch. My phone does not want to focus on the white paint, so getting clear video is difficult. I may need to use multiple still shots. I have a video from a week ago that's similar Reload looked better than, but still not great.

I also applied 5 products to the Sentra couple of weeks ago. Same products on both sides. Passenger side washed with CarPro Reset 2x and then products were applied. Driver's side got washed, de-ironed, clayed, finishing polish, McKee's Prep polish, and the alcohol wipe down (likely redundant). I wanted to see if prep has any impact on product longevity. (They aren't in the same order on both sides - I put them on randomly in case position was a factor.)

I got videos of these over the past couple of weeks but the terrible. I can't get my phone to focus on the white paint. I'll re-test in the next day or two and take notes. The side that got prep work does seem to be doing better, but the paint with no product is also doing better on that side.

10. Thanks MattPersman thanked for this post
    Likes MattPersman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sentra update. It's blindingly bright outside - will have to see if I can get the video or pics to be usable later. I grabbed a notepad a did this the old-school way of testing one door and taking notes.

Drivers's side (side the was polished):
    • McKee's Fast Wax: water running off quickly, but NO perceivable difference with the area next to it with no product. It's done already? Head scratcher
    • BF Crystal: Water sheeting more slowly than McKee's Fast, but 100% sheeting. McKee's had some drops left on the panel. This doesn't
    • Rupes 808: Very similar to Crystal Seal - slower than areas with no product
    • 303 Spray Wax: Very similar to Crystal Seal and Rupes 808 - slower than areas with no product
    • Opt Spray Wax: Same as McKee's Fast Wax, sheeting near 100%

Passenger side (no polishing):
    • McKee's Fast Wax: Sheeting somewhat slowly (maybe 15 seconds)
    • BF Crystal: Sheeting quickly, a little more slowly than Opt Spray Wax
    • Rupes 808: Slower than others, slower than adjacent area with no product, 100% sheeting
    • 303 Spray Wax: Same as McKee's Fast Wax
    • Opt Spray Wax: Clearing quickly and completely

This is all a little confusing. It's possible McKee's and Opt Spray wax are done on the driver's side since I'm not seeing any difference. Also possible that the areas with no product are sheeting product quickly due to polishing oils? Just don't know how to explain it. (Could there be polishing oil left after McKee's prep and alcohol wipe?)

Will have to keep testing and see how it goes. A better way to go next time would be the same products adjacent to each other on polishing and un-polished areas.

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a couple of hours free and it's above freezing. Wife has the Rover so will try to check it later today. For now...

Sentra Update
    EDIT: I'm scratching the Driver's side tests and will start over. They have been removed from the spreadsheet.
    Driver's Side:
    • Still confusing. The fastest clearing areas are the two on the driver's door with no product.
    • The next fastest is Opt Spray Wax
    • Everything else is equally slow and appears to not be working
    • At this point point I'm temped to call this a do-over. The polished areas are almost acting like an AIO.

Passenger Side: (video here)
    • Opt Spray Wax working the best, followed by 303 Spray Wax
    • Everything else appears to be done

Will get videos uploaded later when I have time to review them and make sure I can see anything. Pretty dark out today, which may help on the white paint. Updating spreadsheet now.

14. Thanks BillyJack thanked for this post
    Likes Oz_TCH, SWETM, BillyJack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Strange that the bare paint behavior is behaving like that. What protection have you had before on those panels?

Thanks for still makeing updates and new testing! Have missed the last couple of updates you have done.

/ Tony

Page 42 of 59 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast