autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

Guys not sure why some of you are not seeing longer protection from the BOSS Finishing Sealant. Along with 360, it's predominantly the only other AIO I use on friend's or neighbor's cars. I always Clay first but get a bare minimum of 3 months out of it - and these are cars that only get love when in my driveway - if you know what I mean. Always applied by machine with 4-6 passes and wiped off often sitting 20 or so mins while I work on the next panel. Are there longer lasting AIO's? Sure but this one is no slouch in my experience.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Guys not sure why some of you are not seeing longer protection from the BOSS Finishing Sealant. Along with 360, it's predominantly the only other AIO I use on friend's or neighbor's cars. I always Clay first but get a bare minimum of 3 months out of it - and these are cars that only get love when in my driveway - if you know what I mean. Always applied by machine with 4-6 passes and wiped off often sitting 20 or so mins while I work on the next panel. Are there longer lasting AIO's? Sure but this one is no slouch in my experience.

ScottH
    Griot's themselves say 2-3 months, yet their All-In-One Sealant says "up to one year", so I'm just questioning why they made the sealant in the top of the line BOSS line inferior to the cheaper One-Step-Sealant. I'm not bad mouthing Griot's by any means, I absolutely love their products and have a garage full of their products lol. To me a sealant should last 6 months or more. If I want 2-3 months protection I'd use carnauba for the deep gloss Sealant comparison

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I reviewed the Boss Finishing Sealant some time ago... It doesn't last, and that's putting it nicely.

Interesting 50/50 test results..

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...8&share_type=t

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VETLAG View Post
    Griot's themselves say 2-3 months, yet their All-In-One Sealant says "up to one year", so I'm just questioning why they made the sealant in the top of the line BOSS line inferior to the cheaper One-Step-Sealant. I'm not bad mouthing Griot's by any means, I absolutely love their products and have a garage full of their products lol. To me a sealant should last 6 months or more. If I want 2-3 months protection I'd use carnauba for the deep gloss Sealant comparison

Your question is legitimate (re: BOSS Finishing Sealant having less protection than their stand alone All-In-One Sealant, especially when in the BOSS lineup your expectation is that you are getting the best). Maybe Griot's never intended Finishing Sealant as an LSP considering they have PolyWax (lots of durability), Best of Show Liquid, Best of Show Paste and Premium Wax. I don't know.... BTW I am not in any way disagreeing with your findings. I for some reason have seen more durability but have to say it is no where near as durable as McKee's 360. 360 probably would last 360 days for a well kept car. I've seen it last 6+ months on a really, really neglected car.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Your question is legitimate (re: BOSS Finishing Sealant having less protection than their stand alone All-In-One Sealant, especially when in the BOSS lineup your expectation is that you are getting the best). Maybe Griot's never intended Finishing Sealant as an LSP considering they have PolyWax (lots of durability), Best of Show Liquid, Best of Show Paste and Premium Wax. I don't know.... BTW I am not in any way disagreeing with your findings. I for some reason have seen more durability but have to say it is no where near as durable as McKee's 360. 360 probably would last 360 days for a well kept car. I've seen it last 6+ months on a really, really neglected car.

ScottH
    I completely agree Sealant comparison

Post Thanks / Like

Sentra hood seems to have completely failed on sheeting. We had 4-5 days of hard rain (local flooding) and I suspect this did them all in. Even with the rain I'm surprised. I don't have an update for the Rover hood. Too many shadows in the pics and with the white hood you can't see anything. Will try again in a couple of days.

When I checked the Sentra hood a few days ago I rinseless washed it with N-914. I saw no sheeting. Wash it again and dried it. Barely saw something. I washed it again with Carpro Reset and got the action shown below:

This a couple of seconds after hitting it with water:

This is a few seconds later:

This is how it looked yesterday - this is about 5 seconds after hitting it with the hose.

(Reminder to ignore the upper left - I reapplied something there.)

I'm surprised some of these didn't last longer. Any chance this is a prep issue? I used Ultimate Polish and then cleaned with two wipe downs of Gyeon Prep. Maybe not enough to get rid of the oils/fillers in UP?

Results:
    Blackfire: < 1 week
    Sonus Spritz: < 3 weeks
    AW: ~3 weeks
    Opt Spray Wax: 3-4 weeks
    CarPro Reload: 4 weeks
    PA Cosmic Spritz: 4+ weeks
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

7. Thanks MattPersman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stole a few minutes to get a Rover hood update. Wasn't sure when I'd be able to get another update posted.

Second pic was ~10 seconds after water was turned off (est):
    Relative performance:
    • Water flying off: Collinite, FK 1000, Track Claw, DG 111, and Sonax PNS
    • Moving fairly quickly: DG 105, Optiseal, Paintguard+. Shedding all the water, but not immediately
    • Slow, but working: Sonus Ion, Mystery sealant, WG DGS, and Sonus Acrylic Glanz. Will try to time these next update
    • Water not moving: Griot's One Step

9. Thanks MattPersman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s plausible that the ultimate twins are sweating out or releasing the oils carriers or whatever after several hours not allowing the LSPs to bond

Would think that prep would work

Almost have to polish let it ride for a couple days. Wash a couple times with a soap that doesn’t add anything. Then Gyeon prep, clay, body shop wax remover or whatever then LSP to see if the results are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing almost none of us let polish ride for a couple of days. Pros certainly can't do that.

Here's what I'll do: will redo a couple of the same products after I polish the hood. Will prep, wait day or two, wash, prep again, then apply. Will see if the durability for those couple of products changes.

Actually... redoing a couple of products every time I reapply to a panel would be a good consistency check.

EDIT: I also have McKee's coating prep polish. Could just use this as one-stop product remover or prep. Also DG Squeaky Clean. Either of these are probably the best option.

12. Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont think you need to clay it again if you did it before. worth doing iron decon if you have not done it before this test...polish it again and try one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBvSC3ITDjQ
    i dont like any IPA product which has dyes and scents in it..Used optimum paint prep which worked well now using dupli color(Cheaper)..
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Ran

14. Thanks Larryt, 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post
Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast