autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 38 of 59 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

BTW, RippyD, If you need any products I have tested I'll be glad to send you some samples.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update as it looks like I picked a few winners based on your earlier data! For the winter I have Sonax PNS on my daughters car(which only gets washed when she comes to my house for a visit. I can test out the cordless Sunjoe portable pressure washer when gets above 38 degrees,model SPX6001C-XR) and my truck has Collinite 845 . The Porsche has Duragloss 111 on it

3. Likes Ochnob, DetailZeus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, guys, I'm going to do a quick and dirty phase two of my experiment. I'm going to try a couple other products I didn't have room for on my first run and in an effort to extend the life of the the two AIOs I'm going to top them afterwards with a spray wax and ultimate fast finish.

The hood was polished lightly (2 quick passes)and wiped down twice with a 20% IPA solution. Wipe On wipe off products were allowed a 20 minutes dwell time before removal. An additional 20 minutes was allowed before topping the two AIOs. I think this is important to note because most products request a longer cure time for the base coat. However, in a commercial setting that is not always practical. So my test is to see that if they can be effectively topped in a time efficient manor.

On the driver's side of the hood I'm attempting to test topping Meguiars d166 and HD Speed. In the very rear panel square it will be the AIO only left un-topped, in the spot in front of it it will be topped with Meguiar's synthetic x-press wax and in the front Meguiar's ultimate fast finish.

On the far passenger side, I'm also testing 303 Spray wax because of RippyD's good luck with it, and giving Optimum No Rinse wash and wax its' best shot at a 4:1 dilution, stronger than recommended. In the middle spot is the Duragloss rinseless mixed at detail spray strength as a control.

In other spots I'm trying the Mckees 360 because several posts here claimed good durability. I have used the Malco flash wax in the past. It has good cleaners and is easy on-easy off and can be sprayed on. Natty's carnuba paste was also tested, just because I had an extra spot.

5. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It rained around the 48 hour mark, but I waited another 24 hours before washing. First Wash results: Kinda disappointing:

7. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, Roughly two weeks, several rains, and five washes in:

9. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Observations:

ONRWW did not survive even one wash, even at 4:1

303 spray wax was a big disappointment, also failing quickly.

As a topper on an AIO applied a short time after the base coat , it appears that X-Press Spray wax works better than Fast Finish. UFF actually endured more washes on top of just a polished surface. Perhaps it is the evaporation of carrier solvents in the AIOs that is impairing the bonding of UFF. Again, these results may be different if the topping product was applied 12+ hours apart.

MkKEES 360 does indeed to be slightly more chemical resistant than both Meguiar's 166 and HDSPEED, but the Duragloss spray looks like it might outlast it. That also supports using a polish covered with a good spray instead of an AIO.

Any thoughts?

11. Thanks Diner, MattPersman thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, MattPersman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gregpack View Post
    OK, Guys, I washed in one of my hand bay by spraying the hood with self serve presoak, then scrubbing normally with a foam brush. This did indeed accelerate failure of several products.

Anyway, 25 washes and six weeks in:

The foam brush scrubbing did the turtle wax ultimate paste, TW xpress spray wax, and duragloss 105 in. It weakened the others.

I'm giving a thumbs up to Duragloss 501, Sonax PNS, Jescar Powerlock and Collonite 845 for withstanding the onslaught of alkaline presoaks. If I continued this test I predict Collonite would outlast them all because it is more hydrophobic than the others.

As far as the the shootout between the xpress spay wax, ONR with wax (at detail spray strength), and duragloss 931, I'm about eight washes in and as you can see the duragloss is the winner! It's a little smeary and requires two towels, but I really do like this product. It's lasted as long or longer than Optimum Optiseal. Most of you guys are going to finish up a job with a spray wax or detail spray, so I recommend you try a bottle.

The true disappointments in this durability test were the AIOs(Klasse, HDSpeed, and Meguiars 166) and HD Poxy (again a 2016 version of this product. A newer veriosn is supposedly more durable).

Following this round I'm culling optiseal because Duragloss 931 lasted longer in both RippyDs longevity test AND my durability test. However, I'm willing to hear from you guys as to why I should keep it around. And unless someone can point me to a benefit of DG 105 I'm cutting it in favor of just using 501. And although I have some 601 on hand I'm getting rid of it too. Frankly I just don't see a need for it with 501 holding up as well as it is.

I'm going to conduct one more brief test run and will try a couple of new things:

• I'm going to try McKees 360 as a potential AIO since several posters on this site claim it has both decent cut and good longevity.
    • I'm also going to try topping one or more AIOs with a spray (UFF and/or Duragloss 931) and see how that improves durability. If I can get 12 washes out of an AIO topped with an easy to apply and inexpensive spray wax I'm good with that. However, I'm not going to wait hours for the base product to cure. The cover product is going on within 15 minutes or so of the base, simulating a paid express detail job.
    • I'm going to retest optimum no rinse with wax at a very concentrated ratio and see if I can get any more durability.
    • Finally I'm going to try 303 spray wax since it fared so well in RippyDs longevity tests and is priced reasonable enough. It may be serious competition for some more expensive products.
    Crazy to me that DG 931 (a rinseless wash with Aquawax) would outlast opti-seal. Am I missing something?

13. Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZpolisher15 View Post
    Crazy to me that DG 931 (a rinseless wash with Aquawax) would outlast opti-seal. Am I missing something?
    Everything I've read is that Opti-seal is not very durable at all. And from my experience I find that to be true.

15. Thanks AZpolisher15 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m really liking the DG 931 as a Rinseless and a quick detailer. RippyD has 931 as a QD lasting average of 10.6 weeks. Which is better than 99% of the QD’s in the sample. Gregpack is showing that it will resist alkaline cleaners. Added bonus. Couple those results with the fact that it is cheaper than anything out there by far. Credit to RippyD’s chart, the DG931 is $.06 per oz. at a 1:5.33oz. dilution. I only use 2 ounces 16oz. so I am at $.04 for a bottle of QD. That’s utterly rediculous. That is 15 times less than most other QD’s, lasts longer, and is slicker than most.

I want to personally thank Rippy D and others for making this the most informative thread ever put on this forum. They have helped me make some great decisions and stop chasing the next new thing.

I also think AG should have a “Rippy D Sale” of all the best performing products in this test!

17. Thanks MattPersman, fhcarstens thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m really liking the DG 931 as a Rinseless and a quick detailer. RippyD has 931 as a QD lasting average of 10.2 weeks. Which is better than 99% of the QD’s in the sample. Gregpack is showing that it will resist alkaline cleaners. Added bonus. Couple those results with the fact that it is cheaper than anything out there by far. Credit to RippyD’s chart, the DG931 is $.06 per oz. at a 1:5.33oz. dilution. I only use 2 ounces 16oz. so I am at $.04 for a bottle of QD. That’s utterly rediculous. That is the cheapest QD on the market, it lasts longer, and is slicker than most. That makes me almost giddy everytime I use it.

I want to personally thank Rippy D and others for making this the most informative thread ever put on this forum. They have helped me make some great decisions and stop chasing the next new thing.

I also think AG should have a “Rippy D Sale” of all the best performing products in this test!

19. Likes AZpolisher15 liked this post
Page 38 of 59 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast