autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 35 of 59 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

Quote Originally Posted by gregpack View Post

I'll try to begin posting results in the next couple of days , and I have already given away some info in an earlier post, but do any of you guys care to take a guess at the longevity of various products?
    HD Speed and HD Poxy = 2 weeks, maybe 3 since the truck is white.

I agree, your post deserves its own thread.

2. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    HD Speed and HD Poxy = 2 weeks, maybe 3 since the truck is white.
    Well, Eldorado2k, thanks for the guess. I'm actually not recording chronological time, but the number of times a particular product can survive an alkaline wash cycle. Although I'm trying to wait 24 hours between washes, I'm washing pretty frequently, sometimes multiple times in one day. My assumption is that most of my customers wash around once a week, and if a product survives at least 12 washes it's likely a good product to recommend for a quarterly application. If my data is somehow compared with Rippy's we could likely find the longest lasting products.

Anyway I'm going to entitile this post:

Chapter Two: death of an AIO

In this initial round of testing I used several products that would generally be referred to as AIOs, or "All In One" products. These products combine polishing and/or cleaning agents along with a layer of protection. The products used were the ones I had on hand. They include Klasse AIO, Duragloss 105 and Duragloss 501, and finally my two favorite products to use: HDspeed and Meguiars D166. Ive used the duragloss a couple of times on white fleet vehicles and liked the way it brightened the paint and seemed durable. However, I really like the latter two because of ease of use, and these products are pretty trim and sunlight friendly and they have become my "go to" for minor paint enhancement. I was anxious to see how they fared

But after only three washes in my touch free the hydrophobic characteristics of some of these products failed.
    Here's the pic.

Yes, that's right: HDSpeed, Meguiars D166, and Klasse AIO ALL quit working. I had never used the Klasse before so I wasn't overly upset, but my two "go to's", my babies, let me down. I was heartbroken. even the spray on products Optimum optiseal, Meguiars Fast Finish,and Sonax PNS are still strong, but those three AIOs have failed. However, the Duragloss AIOs are still going strong. So I'll really have to take a look at those products and see if they have enough corrective abilities to replace Speed and D166.

Here's the passenger side, all other sealants and waxes are doing at least OK

Another option is to start topping Speed and D166 with Fast Finish or optiseal. Both of those are economical enough to use and can be applied quickly, we'll just have to see how long they last. Or skip the AIO route altogether and just use a standard polish followed up with a spray on protectant. Which one of these options do you think would give the best results?

4. Thanks BillyJack, DetailZeus, Maxreed241, Diner, Rollo and 2 others thanked for this post
    Likes BillyJack, cullen2505, Rollo, Ochnob, SWETM and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My new process is to wipe away the polish with a PMS sprayed towel and be done in one go
    Quote Originally Posted by gregpack View Post
    Well, Eldorado2k, thanks for the guess. I'm actually not recording chronological time, but the number of times a particular product can survive an alkaline wash cycle. Although I'm trying to wait 24 hours between washes, I'm washing pretty frequently, sometimes multiple times in one day. My assumption is that most of my customers wash around once a week, and if a product survives at least 12 washes it's likely a good product to recommend for a quarterly application. If my data is somehow compared with Rippy's we could likely find the longest lasting products.

Anyway I'm going to entitile this post:

Chapter Two: death of an AIO

In this initial round of testing I used several products that would generally be referred to as AIOs, or "All In One" products. These products combine polishing and/or cleaning agents along with a layer of protection. The products used were the ones I had on hand. They include Klasse AIO, Duragloss 105 and Duragloss 501, and finally my two favorite products to use: HDspeed and Meguiars D166. Ive used the duragloss a couple of times on white fleet vehicles and liked the way it brightened the paint and seemed durable. However, I really like the latter two because of ease of use, and these products are pretty trim and sunlight friendly and they have become my "go to" for minor paint enhancement. I was anxious to see how they fared

But after only three washes in my touch free the hydrophobic characteristics of some of these products failed.
    Here's the pic.

Yes, that's right: HDSpeed, Meguiars D166, and Klasse AIO ALL quit working. I had never used the Klasse before so I wasn't overly upset, but my two "go to's", my babies, let me down. I was heartbroken. even the spray on products Optimum optiseal, Meguiars Fast Finish,and Sonax PNS are still strong, but those three AIOs have failed. However, the Duragloss AIOs are still going strong. So I'll really have to take a look at those products and see if they have enough corrective abilities to replace Speed and D166.

Here's the passenger side, all other sealants and waxes are doing at least OK

Another option is to start topping Speed and D166 with Fast Finish or optiseal. Both of those are economical enough to use and can be applied quickly, we'll just have to see how long they last. Or skip the AIO route altogether and just use a standard polish followed up with a spray on protectant. Which one of these options do you think would give the best results?
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

6. Likes Maxreed241 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Long overdue update. I got a few updates over the last few weeks but didn't get a chance to post them. Work, kids back to school, vacation, sick parent, other stuff... The last month has been more Winter-like than not. We've had rain for about half the time, which is unusual for this time of year. Making a change going forward - be sure to see the last paragraph below.

Spreadsheet is updated.

Summary:
    White Sentra: Go page 32 to see the current product map for the Sentra. Roof is 100% done. Water is not moving at all. I tired Reset and claying. Nothing. I will try to pressure wash it later today to see if that gets anything going. Sentra hood: Reload is working better than anything else. DG 931 as a QD is still working (yes, this seems crazy), Mothers Gold and Aquawax are still doing more than other areas but are done. It turns out that HD Speed never got applied, so that has become a control section (sorry Cruz). No idea why everything on the roof is done. Sentra roof video - only 30 seconds but shows nothing moving. Even after 1:30 nothing was happening. Sentra hood video. Update: pressure washed the Sentra roof. About 10% of the BF area started clearing but nothing else.

Boxster: Current product map on page 33. Rejex still working well. Stoner Bead Max is working ok. Aquawax + FC&S is still working a little. Duragloss 531 QD is not working. Boxster video.

Rover hood: Product map is on page 16. Everything is done except SFX-4 and 3M Synthetic wax. I could probably call 3M this week. SFX-4 is almost done as well. I pressure washed the hood a few weeks ago and after that everything cleared quickly. No idea what happened, but it was hard to differentiate. Rover hood video left side showing SFX-4 still working.

Sept 25th
    Sentra roof: McKee's 10 Min working and BF Crystal Seal working about 50%. Everything less or not at all.
    Sentra hood: Everything working. Aquawax and Mother's Speed are close to done. HD Speed not there.
    Boxster hood: Aquawax QD is done. Bead Max, Rejex, And AW + FC&S are still working.
    Rover hood: SFX-4 still working. Everything else not. Not showing the right side. 3M wax still working.

Sept 11th and 12th:
    Boxster hood: everything working.
    Rover hood: 3M Wax and SFX-4 working. Everything else not. (Video is upside down. Will edit and fix when I have time later today or tomorrow.)

August 26:
    Sentra Hood: All working.
    Sentra Roof: Aquawax and BF Crystal Seal are done. Everything else working.

Future testing: After seeing another testing video (thanks Cruz) I'm going to start using vertical panels rather than horizontal. It seems to be easier to differentiate since slope isn't a factor. The good news is that the Rover has billboard sized door panels so I should have some good opportunity. I may start pressure washing for each test as well. Not sure if that shortens the life of a sealant. So long as I do it consistently I'm not sure it matters. I also need to do fewer products. Getting these all tested was great, but it's a PITA to get them all tested. A few going on the Rover doors later today.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

8. Thanks Ochnob, gregpack, Diner, dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's ok and you're welcome...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Long overdue update. I got a few updates over the last few weeks but didn't get a chance to post them. Work, kids back to school, vacation, sick parent, other stuff... The last month has been more Winter-like than not. We've had rain for about half the time, which is unusual for this time of year. Making a change going forward - be sure to see the last paragraph below.

Spreadsheet is updated. (Just noticed an issue with the graph. Working on it.)

Summary:
    White Sentra: Go page 32 to see the current product map for the Sentra. Roof is 100% done. Water is not moving at all. I tired Reset and claying. Nothing. I will try to pressure wash it later today to see if that gets anything going. Sentra hood: Reload is working better than anything else. DG 931 as a QD is still working (yes, this seems crazy), Mothers Gold and Aquawax are still doing more than other areas but are done. It turns out that HD Speed never got applied, so that has become a control section (sorry Cruz). No idea why everything on the roof is done. Sentra roof video - only 30 seconds but shows nothing moving. Even after 1:30 nothing was happening. Sentra hood video.

Boxster: Current product map on page 33. Rejex still working well. Stoner Bead Max is working ok. Aquawax + FC&S is still working a little. Duragloss 531 QD is not working. Boxster video.

Rover hood: Product map is on page 16. Everything is done except SFX-4 and 3M Synthetic wax. I could probably call 3M this week. SFX-4 is almost done as well. I pressure washed the hood a few weeks ago and after that everything cleared quickly. No idea what happened, but it was hard to differentiate. Rover hood video left side showing SFX-4 still working.

Sept 25th
    [/B]Sentra roof: McKee's 10 Min working and BF Crystal Seal working about 50%. Everything less or not at all.
    Sentra hood: Everything working. Aquawax and Mother's Speed are close to done. HD Speed not there.
    Boxster hood: Aquawax QD is done. Bead Max, Rejex, And AW + FC&S are still working.
    Rover hood: SFX-4 still working. Everything else not. Not showing the right side. 3M wax still working.

Sept 11th and 12th:
    Boxster hood: everything working.
    Rover hood: 3M Wax and SFX-4 working. Everything else not. (Video is upside down. Will edit and fix when I have time later today or tomorrow.)

August 26:
    Sentra Hood: All working.
    Sentra Roof: Aquawax and BF Crystal Seal are done. Everything else working.

Future testing: After seeing another testing video (thanks Cruz) I'm going to start using vertical panels rather than horizontal. It seems to be easier to differentiate since slope isn't a factor. The good news is that the Rover has billboard sized door panels so I should have some good opportunity. I may start pressure washing for each test as well. Not sure if that shortens the life of a sealant. So long as I do it consistently I'm not sure it matters. I also need to do fewer products. Getting these all tested was great, but it's a PITA to get them all tested. A few going on the Rover doors later today.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

gregpack, this looks great. The impact of washing is something else I wanted to do. Glad to see you tackling it. How many times can you wash? Does something like Reload shorten the lifespan some some sealants? Some question about with pressure washing and probably several others.

Post Thanks / Like

That's really disappointing on the AIO's, I would have expected better. And it's hard to argue there's a surfactant film because the adjacent panels look fine.

12. Likes gregpack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    gregpack, this looks great. The impact of washing is something else I wanted to do. Glad to see you tackling it. How many times can you wash? Does something like Reload shorten the lifespan some some sealants? Some question about with pressure washing and probably several others.
    Hi Rippy, sorry, I've been tied up a few days. I'm hoping it's OK that I'm posting here and not starting my own thread. Your research is much more comprehensive and mine can be a mere footnote.

I haven't played with reload at all, but any wash related questions I'll be glad to at least attempt to answer.

I will also comment that I run my chemicals a good bit stronger (higher alkalinity)than most operators, so if it survives my wash it should survive any local touch free wash.

14. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Perfectly fine with me. Whatever works for you. Like others, I'm glad you're doing the work and sharing the results.

16. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK Guys, I'm going to try to catch up and provide some useful information.

At about the six wash mark the first sealant failed. It was HDPoxy. When you add in the relatively short life Rippy got out of the product on his tests Poxy is being culled from my stock. The only thing I should note is that HD Poxy was purchased in 2016 and since then I "think" I have read they have reformulated it to increase longevity. I hope so, Other liquid sealants are still performing quite well at this point in the cycle .

Also, at this point (six washes)I see that Optiseal is compromised and will likely be the first spray and wipe to fail. Meguiars UFF and Sonax PNS are still in good shape, as well as the others.

18. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
Page 35 of 59 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast