autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 34 of 59 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

I can't wait for this, I've been thinking of doing the same thing, please keep us up to date!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregpack View Post
    Well Rippy, thanks for the work. You have inspired me to try my own variation of durability test, but I'm going to test mine through my touch free automatic car washes. I've had customers ask me for recommendations from time to time and I'm going to try and find out which one can withstand the chemical baths the best.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    I can't wait for this, I've been thinking of doing the same thing, please keep us up to date!!

The test has started, I had room for twelve products on my truck hood. I'm kinda busy right now so it may be a few days before I can post something meaningful.

Rippy, do you want me to start my own thread or just piggyback my posts into your fine work on this thread?

3. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Start your own with good title that can be easily searched, I think that will be the best route..you know for science
    The test has started, I had room for twelve products on my truck hood. I'm kinda busy right now so it may be a few days before I can post something meaningful.

Rippy, do you want me to start my own thread or just piggyback my posts into your fine work on this thread?

5. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    Start your own with good title that can be easily searched, I think that will be the best route..you know for science

RippyD is MIA. I sent him a PM a week or so ago and haven't heard back. His research is so thorough I think my few posts and contribution on the topic will pale in comparison and thought my research might just make a good supplement to this thread.

Cliff notes on my (still underway) tests- AIOs suck badly, they were a huge disappointment. I predict powerlock and collinite will be the last ones standing. I'm at ten washes or so and they are still going strong.

This thread is sticky worthy IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I did a aio comparison a year ago or so and none lasted long at all. I just talked to rippy the other day, his box might be full

Post Thanks / Like

OK, Ive got some data to share with photos. But I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to post pics. Is there a "how to post pics thread"

9. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, Ive got some data to share with photos. But I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to post pics. Is there a "how to post pics thread"
    Just host them on imgur

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

OK let me try this:

Well, inspired by RippyD Ive been experimenting with a few sealants lately and thought I would see how some of these products stand up to a commercial car wash and their cleaning solutions. Although I'm too impatient to wait these products out as Rippy has, I figured I would apply them to my hood and wash the vehicle frequently in one of my touch free car washes and see which sealants lasted the longest. The test vehicle is the hood of my work truck, a 2001 Ford F250 with 335K miles. It was polished recently but not fully corrected. Prior to application I wiped the hood down three times with a 20% IPA solution. I taped the hood into twelve sections.

Weather during this experiment has been Summertime weather in the South with high temps probably averaging in the low 90s. This vehicle sits outside in the sun with partial shade during the day.

I'm measuring the effectiveness/longevity purely based on the hydrophobic qualities of the product and noting when that changes. Once the hydrophobic properties have stopped or changed substantially, I'm assuming the silicone or wax has either been removed or have been altered drastically enough to impair it's effectiveness as a protectant.

Post Thanks / Like

Products tested during the initaial round include:

Front Row: (L to R) Sonax Polymer Net Shield, Duragloss 105, Meguiars 166 AIO, Klasse AIO

Middle Row: Meguiars Ultimate Paste, HD Poxy (2016 formulation),HD Speed, Collinite 845

Rear Row: Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish, Jescar Powerlock,Duragloss 501, Optimum optiseal

On the spray on products(UFF,PNS,and Optiseal) I followed directions on the label. On the more traditional products I applied and allowed to haze a minimum of fifteen minutes before wipe off. I used a separate applicator for each product and wiped off with a fresh section of towel. I did not think to measure out a consistent amoundtof product but I ensured in my mind adequate product coverage. I did not layer,wait extended times, or any other hacks/tricks on application of various products on the paint other than warming the collonite to liquefy. I wanted to do it the way an average consumer would apply it, or the way a commercial detailer is likely to use it with an emphasis on time efficiency.

I waited 48 hours before the first wash to allow all products to bond before the first wash. I didn't think to get a shot prior to the first wash, but here you can see the picture after the first wash and all products:

I left tape intersections on the truck hood except for the center. As the characteristics if each product changes it will become more obvious.

My Touch Frees machines apply a very strong alkaline presoak on the first pass., This is followed by usually a second alkaline or acidic pass depending on circumstances. We may change seasonally but alkaline does the bulk of heavy cleaning on the paint, while the acids tend to help with inorganic solids and clean glass and chrome better. Acids also work best on snow melt compounds in the snow belt. How strong is the alkaline? Roughly the same strength as Meguiars APC or Super Clean at around 4:1. But most of us know that waxes and sealants are supposedly vulnerable to alkaline mixtures and I was anxious to see how some products held up.

I'll try to begin posting results in the next couple of days , and I have already given away some info in an earlier post, but do any of you guys care to take a guess at the longevity of various products?

13. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes cullen2505, Strong66, dlc95, DetailZeus, SWETM and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Products tested during the initaial round include:

Front Row: (L to R) Sonax Polymer Net Shield, Duragloss 105, Meguiars 166 AIO, Klasse AIO

Middle Row: Meguiars Ultimate Paste, HD Poxy (2016 formulation),HD Speed, Collinite 845

Rear Row: Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish, Jescar Powerlock,Duragloss 501, Optimum optiseal

On the spray on products(UFF,PNS,and Optiseal) I followed directions on the label. On the more traditional products I applied and allowed to haze a minimum of fifteen minutes before wipe off. I used a separate applicator for each product and wiped off with a fresh section of towel. I did not think to measure out a consistent amoundtof product but I ensured in my mind adequate product coverage. I did not layer,wait extended times, or any other hacks/tricks on application of various products on the paint other than warming the collonite to liquefy. I wanted to do it the way an average consumer would apply it, or the way a commercial detailer is likely to use it with an emphasis on time efficiency.

I waited 48 hours before the first wash to allow all products to bond before the first wash. I didn't think to get a shot prior to the first wash, but here you can see the picture after the first wash and all products:

I left tape intersections on the truck hood except for the center. As the characteristics if each product changes it will become more obvious.

My Touch Frees machines apply a very strong alkaline presoak on the first pass., This is followed by usually a second alkaline or acidic pass depending on circumstances. We may change seasonally but alkaline does the bulk of heavy cleaning on the paint, while the acids tend to help with inorganic solids and clean glass and chrome better. Acids also work best on snow melt compounds in the snow belt. How strong is the alkaline? Roughly the same strength as Meguiars APC or Super Clean at around 4:1. But most of us know that waxes and sealants are supposedly vulnerable to alkaline mixtures and I was anxious to see how some products held up.

I'll try to begin posting results in the next couple of days , and I have already given away some info in an earlier post, but do any of you guys care to take a guess at the longevity of various products?
    This deserves it's own thread! Very interesting real world test you have going on.

Page 34 of 59 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast