autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 33 of 59 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

I can do that. Will have to wait until I get the Sentra back or put some new polish on the Rover hood. Are you looking for resistance to road grime?
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

2. Thanks DetailZeus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    I can do that. Will have to wait until I get the Sentra back or put some new polish on the Rover hood. Are you looking for resistance to road grime?
    You got it! I think oily grime is what really makes gunk stick to the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Research! I hate to ask, but have you considered testing jescar power lock?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Power Lock is on my "need to try list."

Short update: I'm still struggling to get consistent results. Washing with N-914 yields different results than with Reset. Not sure why. So today I use a pressure washer on the hood. No soap, just the pw. The results were unexpected: water sheeted off the entire hood in ~15 seconds. I'm more interested in relative sheeting times than absolutes, so this isn't necessarily bad. It's curious to me.

I'm open to any ideas or suggestions about why this is and what it means, if anything.

Post Thanks / Like

I have followed this topic from the beginning and I love it because I'm a big sealant user (spray,paste,and liquid) having 2 silver SUVs.

My question is, Do you notice any sealant standing out in terms of looks? Do any of them repel dust or attract dust more than the others? The beading/sheeting results are great to see. I'm just curious as to how they preform in those other aspects.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Yes, Power Lock is on my "need to try list."

Short update: I'm still struggling to get consistent results. Washing with N-914 yields different results than with Reset. Not sure why. So today I use a pressure washer on the hood. No soap, just the pw. The results were unexpected: water sheeted off the entire hood in ~15 seconds. I'm more interested in relative sheeting times than absolutes, so this isn't necessarily bad. It's curious to me.

I'm open to any ideas or suggestions about why this is and what it means, if anything.
    Didn't we touch on this in the Panel wipe and sealant thread? I think there's a *chance* N-914 could leave a residue on sealants without a rinse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    I have followed this topic from the beginning and I love it because I'm a big sealant user (spray,paste,and liquid) having 2 silver SUVs.

My question is, Do you notice any sealant standing out in terms of looks? Do any of them repel dust or attract dust more than the others? The beading/sheeting results are great to see. I'm just curious as to how they preform in those other aspects.
    I'm typically doing such small sections it's hard to tell. It's also very subjective and we're all subject to bias. Without some objective measurement I don't think my opinion is really worth much. I like the way Ech2o+Reload looks, particularly on darker colors. I like how Aquawax looks. Collinite looks good to me. I can't say that many other aren't as good as these.

About a year ago I put several different products on the wife's boxster. Can't recall all of them, but Polish Angel Cosmic Coating, Collinite 845, and DG 111 were in the mix. Based on comments here you would have expected some difference, right? She said the all looked and didn't really see any difference. Note that the Boxster has crazy curved panels so maybe makes it harder to compare. But to somebody who just wants her car to look great, they all looked good to her with nothing standing out.

Maybe a better question to the pros here is: what are the products that get the "wow" response from your customers?

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    Didn't we touch on this in the Panel wipe and sealant thread? I think there's a *chance* N-914 could leave a residue on sealants without a rinse.
    Certainly. And as I mentioned, this is likely also related to me having soft water. However I hadn't washed the hood in a least a few days, and I believe the list time I did I used Reset. Still curious to me why pressure washing makes everything sheet like crazy. Not sure it matters, as the "normal" state for my cars is dirty. The Rover is outside 24x7 so washing once per week means it's dirty 6 out of 7 days. The better test is maybe to see what sheets water when the car is dirty rather than clean(?).

I'm open to any thoughts on how to get this right.

Post Thanks / Like

Put some products on the Boxster hood. After washing I used DG Squeaky Clean with a black LC pad.

Then taped off 4 sections. I left the front of the hood empty - it's so steep I'm not sure I could differentiate product from gravity.

Wanted to ensure no overspray from Bead Max. Wasn't really an issue. It sprays with a foam-like texture.

The four products are:

• Stoner Bead Max
    • RejeX Paint Sealant
    • DG 521 quick detailer
    • DG QD+AW (921/951)

The lower right in the product picture is wrong - I grabbed the wrong bottle. I did apply the 921/951 (detail spray + AW) combo.

Bead Max is interesting: sprays on, then has to get spread, then cured, then buffed off. It applies like a cream or paste sealant that's an aerosol. I WAY over applied it and had to remove a bunch. Guessing it was still too heavy as it took a long time to cure. RejeX is also interesting: it's a true wipe-off after it cures, not buff off. Only other thing I used like this is Sonus Ion.

Wife has the car out all afternoon and these will get sun. Then should sit in the garage for 20 hours or so.

10. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Rippy, thanks for the work. You have inspired me to try my own variation of durability test, but I'm going to test mine through my touch free automatic car washes. I've had customers ask me for recommendations from time to time and I'm going to try and find out which one can withstand the chemical baths the best.

12. Likes GEM65, acuRAS82, PearTree, MattPersman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent, gregpack. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Page 33 of 59 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast