autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 22 of 59 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

The DG rinseless mixed as a QD makes for a phenomenal product. It's very economical,and has really great durability just as the test says. It looks great too. I will always try different things,but I could throw away just about all other detailers and spray waxes and just use the DG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    So would you think that using DG for your wash let's say every 2 weeks would give you endless protection?? Especially if the surface is covered with a good sealant like PNS or fk100p?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    I imagine the actual sealant would wear off eventually and the DG protection would be there for its duration. Every two weeks may be enough for protection.

But where is the actual information on what protection aquawax offers? Doesn’t say anything on their own website about any protection

Many things can bead but what about UV inhibitors and protection from bird bombs rail dust, contamination, acid rain, alkaline products etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    I imagine the actual sealant would wear off eventually and the DG protection would be there for its duration. Every two weeks may be enough for protection.

But where is the actual information on what protection aquawax offers? Doesn’t say anything on their own website about any protection

Many things can bead but what about UV inhibitors and protection from bird bombs rail dust, contamination, acid rain, alkaline products etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your right it doesn't mention UV protection only the fact that it adds protection and that it's a polymer sealant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    The other answer is "how would you know?" If I apply a sealant that lasts 6 months and then top it every 2 weeks with Aquawax, I'm going to get great beading and sheeting. Did the sealant last longer or is it just the Aquawax working? I don't know. This could maybe be a long term test to to see if a 2nd sealant helps a first one last longer. I tend to think if you're going to apply a spray every 2-3 weeks it doesn't matter much.
    I’ve been reading a lot of different posts about product durability whether it’s a wax, sealant or coating and if using toppers, how do we or anybody other than the chemists and most likely the marketers know a products true durability?

I think we can all agree we just love our cars and love to try different products to enhance the paint, shine and annoy our significant others, but by doing that how do we know if products are meeting durability claims? I’ll take a stab at this, but end of the day I don’t think it’s going to matter all that much(maybe more so with coatings cause it’s a “newer” market with bold claims) if we are maintaining regularly and treating our vehicles as well as we do.

We’ve all done this for years I’m sure as hobbyists, besides the easy visual cues of a product “working” and it’s durability(beads, sheeting, appearant shine, self cleaning), we can also feel when something isn’t working as well. I notice after applying a good durable and proven LSP, say C845, that maybe 3-4 months in of regular washes with a drying aid, usually D156, the beading may not be as impressive even with a topper like it was the first couple months. The sheeting might slow, removing bugs or bird poop might be a bit more difficult if it’s been sitting a day or two as opposed to when the LSP has been freshly applied.

I don’t think this is truly the LSP not lasting or the toppers not working etc,(as it still beads, a bit larger though, still sheets, possibly slower, shines, rinses well but not amazingly fast) but could be a case of bonded contaminants taking hold(this is Eldorado2k’s favorite way to test LSP). Or as we know with even the miracle chemistry of coatings that something as simple as our wash soap/shampoo can be causing issues. With this we’ve seen people switch to a soap like Reset and do an Iron X and/or Tar X treatment, possibly mild clay and seen the coating come back to life.

So what am I getting at with all this, where do we go from here to answer, “how would you know?” If your LSP is holding up, doing it’s job.. I don’t want to do this test, but I know some forumers would be excited for the results and maybe somebody would do it. Maybe take a hood and divide it up into say 6 sections(6 month sealant), and another panel also divided into 6 with the same LSP. Wash with only products that leave nothing behind(Reset, N914) and use no toppers on the hood but use on the other panel, let’s say a trunk. Then every month clay only one section of each panel, check for contaminants and do the usual beading and sheeting test(might also be interesting to see if the section “comes back to life” after some testing although clay might remove it or hinder it immensely).

Maybe this will show the “6 month” sealant is still working but slowing down as it gets longer in the tooth, maybe it’ll show the toppers reduce contaminants over time or do nothing but help with beading or very short term protection that maybe adds up over time to help the LSP keep working to its best, maybe it just adds shine? Idk but might be interesting to see an outcome to a test like this?

Thanks for reading this massive wall of text but the last few posts really got my brain going!
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

5. Thanks Cruzscarwash thanked for this post
    Likes Eldorado2k, GEM65 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good question. I'll have to see what it does at rinseless dilution. But the answer is I think so. If you wash with something that leaves protection or use a QD/Spray wax every 2-3 weeks this seems like a solid option. And even with a very durable sealant, I always get more shine with a QD or a spray wax over it.

The other answer is "how would you know?" If I apply a sealant that lasts 6 months and then top it every 2 weeks with Aquawax, I'm going to get great beading and sheeting. Did the sealant last longer or is it just the Aquawax working? I don't know. This could maybe be a long term test to to see if a 2nd sealant helps a first one last longer. I tend to think if you're going to apply a spray every 2-3 weeks it doesn't matter much.
    Your inbox is fulled up

Post Thanks / Like

Update from several days ago. I washed with N-914 at 256:1 then dried.

Sentra hood: Duragloss Rinseless as a QD is still holding up well. The center section is doing a little better than no product. The left side is really no better than the untreated section. Animation.

Right side of Rover hood: everything has slowed down. Megs 20 and 3M synthetic wax working ok. Nanoshock and Poorboys EXP clearing about 50%. The rest are not doing much. Animation.

Left side: Doing well. Everything clearing except Rupes 808 and Prima Hydro. Animation.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    So what am I getting at with all this, where do we go from here to answer, “how would you know?” If your LSP is holding up, doing it’s job.. I don’t want to do this test, but I know some forumers would be excited for the results and maybe somebody would do it. Maybe take a hood and divide it up into say 6 sections(6 month sealant), and another panel also divided into 6 with the same LSP. Wash with only products that leave nothing behind(Reset, N914) and use no toppers on the hood but use on the other panel, let’s say a trunk. Then every month clay only one section of each panel, check for contaminants and do the usual beading and sheeting test(might also be interesting to see if the section “comes back to life” after some testing although clay might remove it or hinder it immensely).
    I believe your first half of this is exactly what I'm doing. I'm using only N-914 or other wash products that have no gloss enhancers. As to your suggestion of using a topper, I'll ask this: take two sections, one with a sealant on it and one with nothing. Add a topper to both of them every week and then measure performance. What would you expect to see?

I'd expect to see both them them performing identically and sheeting water perpetually. The water is reacting to the LSP, and as far as I know and assuming complete coverage, what's under the LSP is irrelevant. For this reason, I don't see how testing a sealant (or a coating for that matter) with something else applied on top of it is a valid test. You're testing the water repellence of the topper, not the product underlying it. This assumes that the topper product adheres to the underlying sealant. I don't know this could be determined.

Anybody please feel free to disagree with me or explain why I'm wrong. This is a fundamental belief I have for these tests and I'd like to know if it's incorrect.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

9. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

RippyD, I much prefer your simpler explanation and test(two panels as opposed to 6 or more) over my wall of text! Idk why but for some reason I’d feel the section with the sealant LSP might fair better, just assuming it has a stronger base of protection over a spray LSP section alone.

I agree with you that water will be reacting to whatever LSP has been applied and not a base layer underneath. I guess I was more so trying to see if a topper is extending the life and protection of a base LSP(in this case a sealant) or if a sealant with no toppers or car wash based enhancers is performing for up to 6 months.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

This could maybe be a long term test to to see if a 2nd sealant helps a first one last longer. I tend to think if you're going to apply a spray every 2-3 weeks it doesn't matter much.
    A good long term test! I'm not sure if testing "performance" will really be shown by just water beading, or sheeting. Add to the sealant a rinseless or whatever, that leaves something behind, and you can very well be seeing the effects of the LSP, not the sealant (or underlying) product.

What about a long term test that looks for not just beading and sheeting? Something that can also track UV protection, oxidation (prevention), protection against bird droppings, etc.?

Post Thanks / Like

Probably need to test all the best spray waxes
    and QDs under similar conditions.
    I had been debating doing this. I have, maybe 6-7, spray waxes I was going to mess with. But ALL of them? Or just the best of them?

Maybe some of the most popular?

It's something I still think about, but I have so much on my plate right now, not sure I can do it at this time.

Page 22 of 59 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast