autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 18 of 59 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Duragloss 101 is no slouch either. Very effective at handling light towel marring. On a well polished daily driver, this is probably the only product one would need for the duration of the vehicle's service life.

Severely underrated product.
    How does it compare to 501??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    How does it compare to 501??
    501 is a heavier cleaner. More surface refinement.

3. Thanks ski2 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    So what's my point? I put three products on the wife's Boxster on three adjacent panels. I was sure I could see a difference. One is considered cool looking. One warm. One in between. All very nice sealants. Had her look and look and look. Mid-day. Afternoon. Setting sun. "The all look good. They're all very shiny. My car looks great. What do you want from me?" Maybe there was a difference. She certainly wasn't seeing it.
    This point right here is why threads like this one are my favorite.

I could honestly care less about how a LSP looks. Can I see the differences? Sure, sometimes. But I’m just interested in having something that lasts. If you polish the paint to a good standard, it’ll all look good anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes mwoywod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Supposed to rain for the next 4 days. Wanted to check these before and after.

Those QDs are working well.

Rover hood is looking good. I had to check one side at a time to really see what was happening. I kept noticing one slower area. If you look closely below you may be able to see it: 2nd from the front on the right side still has water while everything else is mostly clear. Poorboys EX-P. It's clearing faster than the spots with no sealant, but more slowly than everything else. I thought it could be positional or how I was directing the water. But the other side with 303 Spray Wax is clearing quickly and I moved the hose around to different positions.

Not sure if it's slower or failing already. If it doesn't hold up over the weekend I'll probably reapply and try it again. Could be an application issue.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

7. Thanks MattPersman, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes MattPersman, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We got some rain over the weekend - maybe 0.25". I washed both hoods this afternoon with N-914 at 256:1. Let's start with the easier one first. After washing I rinsed with nozzle and then flooded the hood. After a few seconds here's how it looked:

The middle section (Fast Clean & Shine + Aquawax) cleared a few seconds later. The Ech2o + Reload on the left never fully cleared. So those are good for a week or less. Not terrible for a detailer. The DG 931 is still doing well. (Fixed it - had wrong DG product #.)

The Rover hood is more complicated. I washed it, rinsed it with a nozzle, then flooded it. The water mostly stayed there. Umm.... what the heck happened? I started looking at smaller sections. The front left was sheeting water: Four Star Ultimate wax, Dodo Surpreme, and McKee's fast wax (in that order) were clearing water well. Not much else happening. You have to look closely but the line between the clear area and standing water is there.

I thought to myself this has to be wrong. I got a clean MF and soaked it with water. Flooded the hood, and then wiped it down. My thinking was that some soap residue must be left and it's masking the sheeting action (at 256:1 and a rinse, how much could really be left?). After wiping, I flood it again. The results were maybe a little better, but largely the same. Those three panels cleared fairly quickly, followed by BF Carnuba, SFX-4, and Nano Shock. Griots Spray Wax and Megs 20 had a little action, but not much. I waited about 20 seconds. Then I waited another 20 or so. The rest of those products just aren't clearing water.

Here you can see the Nano Shock area clearing and others around it with standing water.

Maybe application error? These products aren't exactly hard to apply. I hate to label all the ones not sheeting as terrible products, but they seem to have failed. Will try again in a few days to see if I get a different result. Would like to hear from anyone who has significantly different results with those products.

9. Thanks Whitewater25, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes GEM65, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a dumb question but the angle the car has where you rinse it. Do it have a very horisontell level? I see some times most on parts of the roof but to the hood also if the surface the car stands on has a certain angle that makes the level of horisontell extreme. But on the other hand it's more of bigger blobbs than the look of a done protection.

Did you have a PW to do a final rinse with? Don't know if it's gonna make a difference but maybe worth a shot to try to PW rinse the N-914 off. Then do the sheeting test.

How does it look when spritz with a fine mist of water to the surface. If it beads up or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Good questions. I had decided to pressure wash with water after washing but didn't have time yesterday. Will do so today. Hoping that revives some of of those sealants. Regarding angle, my driveway slopes quite a bit. The Rover hood drains toward the windshield for these tests, the Sentra slops a little toward the front. I'll get angle measurements later this morning. I'll try spraying a fine mist and see what happens.

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    The DG 971 is still doing well.
    971 ? or 932

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh... 931/932. The pink stuff that smells like bubble gum. Fixed it above.

Post Thanks / Like

EDIT: leaving this results up, but they may not be accurate. I did a quick test a day later and got better results. In the interest of being as fair as I can to all the products, I'd prefer to go with better rather than worse. I don't know why there's a difference.

--------------------

Did some testing with the pressure washer and rinseless washing. Pressure washed the hood, then flooded it and monitored. Then washed with N-914 @ 256:1 and flooded to compare results. Noticed a few things:

1. I was too impatient yesterday. Some of these are working, but very slowly.
    2. Some of them aren't working. They may clear after 4-5 minutes and when I wash I can see tape lines, but they aren't doing much at all based on water movement.
    3. I didn't see any significant difference in how these behaved after pressure washing or after rinseless washing.

The two fastest cleared water in under 15 seconds. The Dodo product is a little faster.
    • Dodo Supreme Acrylic Spritz
    • Four Star Ultimate Spray Wax

These next five took closer to a minute. The fastest of these was Nano Shock:
    • Nano shock
    • SFX-4
    • Mystery #4
    • Megs 20
    • 303 spray wax

The next two took between 1-2 minutes:
    • McKees Fast Wax
    • Blackfire Carnuba Spray

This group was all 3+ mins. I stopped timing after 3:30.
    • Poorboys EX-P
    • Prima hydro
    • Griots spray wax

The last group appear to not be working. After 3.5 minutes these didn't move water any faster than the areas without sealant. They eventually get clear of water, but so will the un-sealed areas.
    • Griots Finishing Sealant
    • HD Poxy
    • Prima Slick
    • Rupes P808
    • Poorboys with Carnuba
    • 3M Synthetic

Will try to get some pics posted - didn't have much luck getting usable ones.

16. Thanks PaulMys, SWETM, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, SWETM liked this post
Page 18 of 59 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast