autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

Thanks for a great write up, I have on my shelf about as many products, from when I was "chasing the gloss God". I've given that up. After doing a lot of side by side tests myself, I've given up on trying to find the ultimate product. They all work so damn well, it's not worth getting my nose 3 inches from the paint to see the difference. Recently tried Mckee's 37 10 minutes sealant, and find it no different from any of the other wipe on products like Ultima, blackfire, or carpro. Works great! I finally settled on carpro ech20 as a weekly rinseless wash, and any one of these sealants every 90 days , that are still on my shelf.
    Glen -

2. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair point. Most of these products are more than good enough. I'm doing this largely because there's a lot of opinion flying around with little real information or data. I just wanted to know what products are mostly hype vs. which ones work well. And also the price to performance curve.

I'm not addressing perceived visual differences. Regardless of price and durability, people can claim one product looks better than another. In my overly simple tests (using the wife) I haven't seen any big differences. But they could be there.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

4. Likes glen e, Finick, JustJesus, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Fair point. Most of these products are more than good enough. I'm doing this largely because there's a lot of opinion flying around with little real information or data. I just wanted to know what products are mostly hype vs. which ones work well. And also the price to performance curve.

I'm not addressing perceived visual differences. Regardless of price and durability, people can claim one product looks better than another. In my overly simple tests (using the wife) I haven't seen any big differences. But they could be there.
    It's interesting you talk about the "wife test". That's probably what changed my way of detailing, after trying 10-12 different sealants/coatings/polishes, my wife said to me "they all look great, I can't tell a difference in any of them", and then I realized that all my backbreaking work was so that I could be OCD and try and ascertain the difference… When really 99% of the public didn't care, and couldn't tell… The "wife/best friend test" keeps me sane, saves my poor old tired body, and keeps my detailing shelf free of more products that work essentially, just the same.
    Glen -

6. Likes JustJesus, MattPersman, PaulMys, tonloc08 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did some soap testing and discovered that even a rinseless wash can mask the properties of a sealant. I don't think the results here are wrong, but this may explain some of the inconsistency I was seeing that I guessed was due to temperature. The question is what to do about it? Rinsing with a MF after washing helps some. Going forward I will likely either pressure wash and not use any soap or will use a rinseless and then PW afterward. Not sure which is better and am open to imput.

For today's pics I didn't wash - I used a pressure washer with no soap. The light was bad and don't have many usable pics.

On right side where I had the best longevity things are still working, but barely. You can see DG 111 and Track Claw starting to shed water after I flooded it with the hose. It's time to call these done.

Sonax PNS still doing something, but not much.

Interestingly, Paint Guard+ appears to have some life left in it which I hadn't seen recently when washing with soap. This one needs a retest.

Will try to get both hoods polished and sealants re-applied this weekend. Have some deck work and other stuff to do also - will have to see how it goes.
    Holy smokes!

111 still hanging on....

I once applied 111 to one of my former employers lease vehicles, when I worked at a car wash. It stood up admirably to the harsh chemicals and cloth brushes. That's when it won me over.

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, Duragloss 101 is no slouch either. Very effective at handling light towel marring. On a well polished daily driver, this is probably the only product one would need for the duration of the vehicle's service life.

Severely underrated product.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. I'll get to DG 101. I'm kinda testing AIOs, kinda not. I should double back and do some AIO comparison. More effort since I'm likely going through a lot of pads that day. Not impossible, just not as easy as sealants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    It's interesting you talk about the "wife test". That's probably what changed my way of detailing, after trying 10-12 different sealants/coatings/polishes, my wife said to me "they all look great, I can't tell a difference in any of them", and then I realized that all my backbreaking work was so that I could be OCD and try and ascertain the difference… When really 99% of the public didn't care, and couldn't tell… The "wife/best friend test" keeps me sane, saves my poor old tired body, and keeps my detailing shelf free of more products that work essentially, just the same.
    Been avoiding this, but will jump in lightly. We're all subject to the placebo effect. There's also something called "choice-supportive bias." We all do it. None of us are immune. I first learned about this when doing high end audio and people would go on and on about the audible differences between cables. Amazingly, any time you blind test people these differences disappear. Placebo effect and choice-supportive bias.

Same thing here, perhaps to a lesser degree. When I read somebody going on and on about how how coating is "the best" when they haven't compared it side by side to anything, I just have to roll my eyes. OF COURSE the coating you just paid $350 for and took two days to apply looks good. Your head would explode if it didn't. btw, I see this much more on the sister site than I do here.

So what's my point? I put three products on the wife's Boxster on three adjacent panels. I was sure I could see a difference. One is considered cool looking. One warm. One in between. All very nice sealants. Had her look and look and look. Mid-day. Afternoon. Setting sun. "The all look good. They're all very shiny. My car looks great. What do you want from me?" Maybe there was a difference. She certainly wasn't seeing it.

Stepping off my soapbox.

11. Likes glen e, dlc95, MattPersman, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Been avoiding this, but will jump in lightly. We're all subject to the placebo effect. There's also something called "choice-supportive bias." We all do it. None of us are immune. I first learned about this when doing high end audio and people would go on and on about the audible differences between cables. Amazingly, any time you blind test people these differences disappear. Placebo effect and choice-supportive bias.

Same thing here, perhaps to a lesser degree. When I read somebody going on and on about how how coating is "the best" when they haven't compared it side by side to anything, I just have to roll my eyes. OF COURSE the coating you just paid $350 for and took two days to apply looks good. Your head would explode if it didn't. btw, I see this much more on the sister site than I do here.

So what's my point? I put three products on the wife's Boxster on three adjacent panels. I was sure I could see a difference. One is considered cool looking. One warm. One in between. All very nice sealants. Had her look and look and look. Mid-day. Afternoon. Setting sun. "The all look good. They're all very shiny. My car looks great. What do you want from me?" Maybe there was a difference. She certainly wasn't seeing it.

Stepping off my soapbox.
    And this is why I don't feel the need to buy a ton of different products. In fact, the number has diminished.

I try and maximize my abities with whatever product I have, and just go with it.

Junkman calls it "chasing a shine". We can spend thousands of dollars in the process, without addressing our techniques, and never be satisfied.

I see this a lot with compounds and tools. Everyone is fighting for the fastest defect removal, without realizing that they might be tripping over themselves with pad load. Some of these combinations cut TOO well, clog the pad, and quit cutting after a pass or two. The operator fails to take this into consideration, and will conclude the product combo is ineffective. Then the search continues with addressing technique.

And with coatings... It's insane. So many on the market, each with pretty impressive claims.

I just prefer to do a 601/111 for a high end protection and call it a day. If they want to pay for a coating, I have Gloss Coat on hand.

13. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I see this a lot with compounds and tools. Everyone is fighting for the fastest defect removal, without realizing that they might be tripping over themselves with pad load. Some of these combinations cut TOO well, clog the pad, and quit cutting after a pass or two.
    Agree. I dislike one of the HD compounds - it was nearly impossible to remove (Adapt, maybe?). I'd prefer other stuff to 105. Other than that the others I've tried all seem to work fine. I will say that I'd like to have a forced rotation machine for curves and other tough spots. I'm more of a limiting factor than my tools.

Four days of rain forecast for later this week. I'll try to check sheeting before then and then we'll see how they did through the rain.

15. Thanks andy84 thanked for this post
    Likes andy84 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done a AIO comparison but not to the extent u did so I'd love to see one, and have plenty to send u

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast