autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Here's how this looks so far with sealant duration graphed. The resolution is limited to when I tested. I made a couple of judgement calls to between testing dates (aka interpolation). If tested these more frequently you'd see a more normal distribution rather than steps. I'm not submitting a research paper, so calling it good enough. Please remember that these are relative measurement and that your absolute durations will be different.

I'm gonna have to go back and look at dg111 and now I really want to re look at PNS I wonder how much longer it would go

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Note that I corrected the chart after you replied. Now showing done vs. still going. I believe PNS, DG 111, and Track Claw are almost done.

PNS is noteworthy for it's ease of application relative to longevity. There are several others that are still going as well (Mystery #2 and #3, and Dodo Future Armour). Will see if i can differentiate better. (Graphing in Google Sheets is very limited.)
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

3. Thanks MattPersman thanked for this post
    Likes MattPersman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work on this!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

How long did you let fk1000 cure?

Post Thanks / Like

Don't recall the exact duration. I may have it buried in my notes. It was at least 20 minutes for all of the ones that were not wipe-on-wipe-off. Even after 20 mins I didn't remove until they passed the dry finger wipe test. The exception was one of the mystery sealants, which I seem to recall you telling me would not dry.

I will say that you really can't collect enough data when doing this. Wish I had documented everything better and wish I had done more frequent washing. Hard to do when it's dark, raining, and 32 degrees out. But we are where we are.

Did another test yesterday. Will post results later today.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't recall the exact duration. I may have it buried in my notes. It was at least 20 minutes for all of the ones that were not wipe-on-wipe-off. Even after 20 mins I didn't remove until they passed the dry finger wipe test. The exception was one of the mystery sealants, which I seem to recall you telling me would not dry.

I will say that you really can't collect enough data when doing this. Wish I had documented everything better and wish I had done more frequent washing. Hard to do when it's dark, raining, and 32 degrees out. But we are where we are.

Did another test yesterday. Will post results later today.
    I think with less washing it's more realistic especially for those who use these for business purposes as it better reflects the "average" customer. I can't even begin to tell you how many people call me for a "annual" wax as they still somehow thing it will last all year.

Post Thanks / Like

I get your point. But I'm really not trying to reproduce what the average car owner would do. In Portland that would be not washing your car for 7 months. I'm trying to get relative longevity rather than absolute. Given that conditions vary so much between everybody (look at your weather vs. mine) I don't think it's very meaningful.

My point on testing more was that I'd have more data points. If I don't test for a month and product quits sheeting, was it toward the beginning or end of that 4 week period? I don't know. So in some cases I would not be able to tell if it was a 4 week or an 8 week durability (for example). For most of these it's not that critical and 2-3 week is probably fine.

Appreciate the discussion. And please feel free to tell me I'm full of crap. Open to learning and doing this better going forward.

Post Thanks / Like

I get your point. But I'm really not trying to reproduce what the average car owner would do. In Portland that would be not washing your car for 7 months. I'm trying to get relative longevity rather than absolute. Given that conditions vary so much between everybody (look at your weather vs. mine) I don't think it's very meaningful.

My point on testing more was that I'd have more data points. If I don't test for a month and product quits sheeting, was it toward the beginning or end of that 4 week period? I don't know. So in some cases I would not be able to tell if it was a 4 week or an 8 week durability (for example). For most of these it's not that critical and 2-3 week is probably fine.

Appreciate the discussion. And please feel free to tell me I'm full of crap. Open to learning and doing this better going forward.
    I totally get you, when I do my testing I try my best to wash every week and normally on Fridays. While it is much easier to tell when one is breaking down.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey I have a question on WGDGPS. At one point you said you thought it came back a bit. Did you change your opinion?

The real reason I ask is that's my current sealant, and my experience is so totally different. I have had 2 or 3 month old sealant on my car and the water behavior is like I just put it on. I usually play around and put more on after that, but I just can't get my head around how it would have only lasted 6 weeks.

PS - This is awesome content. It led me to buy 601/111.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to say - it may be temp dependent. WGDGPS seem to be clearing water when I hit it with the hose on a warm day. Then I went back the next day when it was cold and it wasn't. I need more data and it's one I'll probably repeat.

Regarding the longevity of my results, you have to consider my conditions: Most of these have gotten hammered with rain more days that not and are outside 24x7. I have to believe that will shorten the durability. I can't make any meaningful claims about absolute longevity, only relative.

Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast