autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Urgent: Need to know why is the paint so easily scratched?

So, i did a small section for a customer, he has the whole car full of overspray and a TON of swirls. I did first pass with yellow pad and menzerna 1500 and then passed a blue pad with 4500 and followed by power lock and then chemical guys wax and the results were about 85% paint correction, absolutely no scratches just a few imperfections i couldn't take out. So, after 3 days that had passed, he came over and said he wanted the car done and it was dusty since we live down in victorville where it's basically the desert. He had used his fingers to clear the dust off the car and had scratched the paint. I also gently removed the dust as lightly as i can to recreate the scratches and it also happened to me with the slightest touch of my fingers.

How do you avoid this problem? I don't want to spend over 30 hours on this car just so it can be full of scratches the next day. It's weird to me how easily the dust can scratch the paint with just slightly touching the paint. The dust is also very very soft, i need help guys!

Thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/oEFWkWg

Sorry, don't know how to put pictures so they show.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Urgent: Need to know why is the paint so easily scratched?

I wish I knew bro. I spent all day yesterday polishing my car to perfection. Used Eraser and carefully wiped it still looked great. Used the PBL surface cleansing polish and carefully removed. Had a little dusting from the product. Boom micro marring. It's very hard to avoid 100% on a black car. If I have a powerful enough light I can usually find it somewhere. Unless you are working in a clean room theres always dust and dirt thats going to get on the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Dust is abrasive and you are using the weight of your fingers to grind it in as you drag across. Some paint may be a little more resilient some colors may not show it as much it it’s still happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Dust is abrasive and you are using the weight of your fingers to grind it in as you drag across. Some paint may be a little more resilient some colors may not show it as much it it’s still happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree On my straight black car with no flake I can see any little marring, pitting, chipping, and anything else with a high powered led light on it. Or even in direct sunlight. Get a white, beige or silver car and you dont see anything unless you're at the perfect angle with the perfect lighting.

You just have to be careful. Don't rub ANYTHING on the paint unless you have something lubricating it. And even then be careful and use only clean towels. Words to live by and that's all you can do. What kinda car is it?

Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HardLineDetail View Post
    So, after 3 days that had passed, he came over and said he wanted the car done and it was dusty since we live down in victorville where it's basically the desert. He had used his fingers to clear the dust off the car and had scratched the paint. I also gently removed the dust as lightly as i can to recreate the scratches and it also happened to me with the slightest touch of my fingers.
    if the dust was from the wind/sand and dirt in the area, what you're seeing is common. Especially on a car that's been corrected as the scratches will be much more noticeable. They are micro scratches that again, will stand out far more than on a car that's swirled all up. I have two black cars, my Audi being Pure Black and I would never dust or wipe dust off it. Coating it will help but again, never rub the surface with fingers like that.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

It's a gmc suburban 2012 and it's cover in overspray from 3 years ago. Just going to have to tell him to not rub the paint with his hands again and will tell him how to correctly wash his car to not introduce scratches like he did before the detail.

Also, thanks mike for the video, i always take care of my microfibers with great care and if they happen to ever fall to the ground, i just toss them to the towels that are used for engine cleaning and other dirty work.