autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

RIDGID - 200 psi 4.5 Gal. Electric Quiet Compressor?

Hey guys, I generally do 90% of my detailing out of a shop but I'm looking for a nice air compressor for the occasional mobile job and I was contemplating a few different 6 gallon pancake air compressors but none of them put out more than 3.0 SCFM @ 90 PSI.

I came across this Ridgid air compressor for $300 bucks. It's twice the price of most pancake air compressors but it delivers 5.1 SCFM @ 90psi and 5.7 SCFM @ 40 psi

I'm not sure how that is possible considering it only has 1.6 hp but I know it was just released this year from Ridgid so it's has all of the latest and greatest technology. Another bonus, it's suppose to be much quieter than any of the other portable compressors I've been looking at for under $300.

My question is, have any of you used this compressor?

I'm looking for something that isn't so obnoxiously loud that I can use PRIMARILY for blowing out pads in between polishing sets, running my boss micro rotary polisher, and using my tornador black with. I'd hate to spend $300 on something I'll only use a few times a month, but I think if I spend $150 on a dewalt pancake compressor or something similar I'll end up kicking myself for being cheap and not getting the more powerful (quieter) option.

I was also looking at the makita 4.2 gallon big bore compressor because it appears to be known for it's durability and performance. But it isn't as quiet as the ridgid, it isn't as powerful, and it's a little bit more expensive!

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-20...00SS/300779816

RIDGID - 200 psi 4.5 Gal. Electric Quiet Compressor?-a33af41d-a5fe-4725-be7d-d64da671ca95_1000-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RIDGID - 200 psi 4.5 Gal. Electric Quiet Compressor?

Your thread title says 200 psi is this correct or misprint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    Your thread title says 200 psi is this correct or misprint?
    I just double checked, that is what it says on the homedepot and ridgid site

Post Thanks / Like

The Ridgid is an oil-less. That is enough to lose me. I have the Makita you mentioned. It is an oil-type and solid as can be. I've gone through my share of oil-less compressors and they just don't perform under heavy, high-duty-cycle load. Talk to roofers. They know. A roofer told me to get the Makita and I never looked back. But, stay with an oil-type, too if you don't opt for the Makita.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    The Ridgid is an oil-less. That is enough to lose me. I have the Makita you mentioned. It is an oil-type and solid as can be. I've gone through my share of oil-less compressors and they just don't perform under heavy, high-duty-cycle load. Talk to roofers. They know. A roofer told me to get the Makita and I never looked back. But, stay with an oil-type, too if you don't opt for the Makita.
    Thanks for the response. What's crazy to me is for an oil-less compressor the ridgid produces 5.1 SCFM @ 90psi. I can not find any other portable compressors oil or oil-less for under $300 that can produce at least 5 SCFM @ 90psi like the ridgid. I'll give the Makita some more thought, I appreciate your feedback

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Thanks for the response. What's crazy to me is for an oil-less compressor the ridgid produces 5.1 SCFM @ 90psi. I can not find any other portable compressors oil or oil-less for under $300 that can produce at least 5 SCFM @ 90psi like the ridgid. I'll give the Makita some more thought, I appreciate your feedback
    Thanks. I’m no expert. My brother is a home builder and he knows this stuff and he knows some roofers who also know. My advice is to check with a roofer if you can find one.

The dewalt continuous model is oiled, the job site is not. I know that oiled one competes with the Makita.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

NOTHING compares to the low decibel levels on a California Air Tools compressor! If quiet is a major factor, you must add them to your consideration list. I have a 10 gal 2 hp model that puts out 5+ SCFM ... and love it. But it is probably a little large for your needs. They have smaller models of course. And they are oil free to help compare from the above conversations.

8. Thanks mwoywod thanked for this post