autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pad Cleaners

Post Thanks / Like

Pad Cleaners

I had some pads to clean this weekend so I did an experiment. I have many pad cleaners. CG, McKee's, Griots, and Wolfgang's. They all smell pretty strong, CG and McKee's probably being the strongest. Definitely require gloves and ventilation.

That said, I also have Dawn Platinum from Costco.

I read many comments stating that Dawn left an odor and residue in the pads.

So, I took 15 pads and cleaned them randomly with the five products, three pads per product. They are all competent, including Dawn Platinum. My method is to soak for an hour, clean with a pad brush and then use a sequence of four 5-gallon buckets to rinse followed by warm water rinse under the faucet. The first bucket is frequently dumped and reloaded with clean RO/DI water since it has the most residue in it.

No complaints. The pads got clean except for the permanently stained ones from 360 and Fuzion wax.

What jumped out at me was that most of them retained some residual smell from the pad cleaner. What surprised me is the Dawn Platinum pads retained the least odor and by the next day all of the pads had almost no residual odor.

I'm no expert in pad cleaning and I don't even know if I'm doing it correctly. What I have found is Dawn Platinum does a pretty good job and is probably the least toxic and harmful of the bunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad Cleaners

I use 3D Towel Kleen at 4:1 as a pad cleaner. It works good, but it defiantly needs ventilation like the others you mentioned.

I use a similar method, soak used pads while I'm still buffing, then scrub and rinse when I'm done. I throw mine in the washing machine at the very end too, but I'm not sure if that's getting them any cleaner. I might stop doing that.

What is the purpose of your 4 rinse buckets? I just rinse under the tap after scrubbing.

I tried dish soap at first, but I'm done with that now. I used some on my foam applicator pads and they seemed very clean, but I went back to use them 6 months later and they were completely deteriorated, crumbling and falling apart. I won't risk that happening to my foam buffing pads, so I got Towel Kleen instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    I had some pads to clean this weekend so I did an experiment. I have many pad cleaners. CG, McKee's, Griots, and Wolfgang's. They all smell pretty strong, CG and McKee's probably being the strongest. Definitely require gloves and ventilation.

So, I took 15 pads and cleaned them randomly with the five products, three pads per product. They are all competent, including Dawn Platinum. My method is to soak for an hour, clean with a pad brush and then use a sequence of four 5-gallon buckets to rinse followed by warm water rinse under the faucet. The first bucket is frequently dumped and reloaded with clean RO/DI water since it has the most residue in it.

No complaints. The pads got clean except for the permanently stained ones from 360 and Fuzion wax.

What jumped out at me was that most of them retained some residual smell from the pad cleaner. What surprised me is the Dawn Platinum pads retained the least odor and by the next day all of the pads had almost no residual odor.

I'm no expert in pad cleaning and I don't even know if I'm doing it correctly. What I have found is Dawn Platinum does a pretty good job and is probably the least toxic and harmful of the bunch.
    Have you ever considered a pad washer?? I really like mine. I use snappy clean in it. If the pads are real bad I give them a couple spray of McKee's pad cleaner, which seems much less toxic than others, hit them with a pad brush for a couple seconds then use the pad washer. They turn out great.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For me,

-hot soapy (dish soap) water in the sink (whatever your brand, but the stronger the better.)

-Kneed the pad like it's bread dough against the bottom of the sink until it looks mostly clean. Give it a few squeezes for good measure. Shouldn't take too long for compounds / polishes / AIO's. Good waxes and sealants can be a little more stubborn.

-Drain the sink, then rinse out with cold water squeezing the pad often to flush all the suds out.

-Finally squeeze as much water as you can out, then spin dry on your mechanical polisher. Rub it on your jeans or a cloth with the machine turned on to get 99% of the water out. There's always a little smell of the original product left, but that's ok. When working on red and yellow single stage paints, I've managed to get white pads looking bright and white with this method without too much hassle.

Regards
    Jordan

Post Thanks / Like

Dawn Platinum takes crazy amount of rinsing until no more suds come out

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Pad washers seem to reduce the lifespan of pads with the friction of the spinning pad on the grit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post

Sounds like to much work. I just spray mine with mckees spray cleaner(It's the best I've found) and rinse under the sink.

If I have a lot of pads (like 15) I just put them in the washing machine with that powdered yellow pad cleaner

Post Thanks / Like

If I just have a few pads I will spray with pad cleaner ( currently McKees or PB Tornado), massage in with my fingers and rinse under the sink. Squeeze water out and lay pad velcro side up on rack in my garage.

If I have a lot of pads:
    - throw them in bucket of Snappy Clean. I squeeze them in the solution when I first toss them in to get the solution working inside the pads
    - when done, I use a Pressure Washer and my ghetto pad washer to clean. This gets them very clean
    - to rinse, I use a 2 gallon bucket and let the hose run in it. I keep squeezing the pad until no more residue comes out. By having having the hose constantly supplying fresh water from the bottom of the bucket I always have clear water to keep rinsing the pads
    - Squeeze water out of all the pads and face velcro side up on rack in garage.
    - Even with this method it seems I still sometimes get dust from the pad when I first use them again. This drives me crazy but I can't figure out what else to do to rinse better. We have very hard water here so I am wondering if that has something to do with it.

Hope you find a method that works for you. By the time I get done detailing I am whooped so I don't feel like entering a marathon pad cleaning session. Plus, these days I use way more pads than I use to as the newer generation pads need to be rotated out more often. My goal is to get the pads clean in the quickest and safest manner. I use to throw them in the washing machine but the wife wasn't thrilled with the residue that was left in the washer :-)

Post Thanks / Like

For me i put some dawn and degreaser on the pads. Soak for a few minutes with warm water. Use power washer (not too close) and then bring into the laundry sink and rinse very well with warm water, air dry. inexpensive and works well for me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sleper View Post
    For me i put some dawn and degreaser on the pads. Soak for a few minutes with warm water. Use power washer (not too close) and then bring into the laundry sink and rinse very well with warm water, air dry. inexpensive and works well for me
    Meguiars degreaser safe for pads? Haven't tried it but picked up a gallon of concentrate here and have a bunch left. Also have a bunch of APC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast