autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceri-glass risk?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    As long as you're using the CarPro rayon polishing pads you should have no problem. There were some other brand polishing pads that caused some issues. I've used Ceriglass on those pads on several vehicles, no problem.
    Care to link me or private message please? I was thinking of using it next time with something like an orange force pad. I think it would be better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
    I tried to remove a scratch from my passenger side window using Ceriglass and CarPro pads, and all I did was swirl up the glass around the scratch. Other's don't have the problem, so it's probably glass dependent. I would recommend a test spot.
    What kind of a machine did you use? I'm just wondering if you used a rotary or a cordless drill or anything like that? How many passes did you make per section? I'm not trying to blame you, I hate that, but it would be nice to have that information out there I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Gotcha...

Just to note, when I wrote my article showing how to do it with a PC it was because I know a LOT of people don't own a rotary buffer but since the late 1980s millions of Porter Cables have been sold plus all the copies of the PC.

So while I normally use a rotary buffer because it's a lot more powerful and this shows up as "speed" to you and I, I purposefully tested using a Porter Cable to see

If it could be done

And "yes" it can be done. This opens the door to millions of people being able to polish out scratches from glass using the tool already in their garage.

Then in my how-to article here,

Glass polishing - How to remove scratches in glass

I included this comment....

I agree any free spinning orbital will be slower than a rotary buffer but lots of people don't own a rotary buffer but they do own a,

PC
    Meguiar's G100
    Meguiar's G110
    Griot's 6" DA
    DAS 6
    HF

Etc. etc. etc.

So if they don't mind taking more time they too can polish glass - but "yes" it will be slower.

Was porter cable the first company to ever release a dual action polisher? Do they have a patent? They must have made a fortune off of it.

Post Thanks / Like

The CeriGlass and CarPro Rayon pad worked great on my drivers side window today! Got rid of 95% of the scratches in only 15min or so with my GG G9 at about speed 5! Might try for the extra 5% this weekend when I have more time, but it looks amazing already the way it is!
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

5. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

a few years ago I bought the flyby30 kit and just never got around to it. they were out of the carpro pads at the time, so I bought the LC rayon glass pads. Should I NOT use these with ceriglass polish?
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post

a few years ago I bought the flyby30 kit and just never got around to it. they were out of the carpro pads at the time, so I bought the LC rayon glass pads.

Should I NOT use these with ceriglass polish?

I think you would be okay.

ONE TIME - I used a glass polish from one company and a glass pad from another company and the combo put micro-marring into the glass.

In case anyone doesn't know,

Micro-marring is the kind fluffy way to say micro-scratching.

Now follow me, if the things you have to use to REMOVE scratches out of glass PUT scratches into the glass - you're screwed.

Think about it.

This was probably 8 years ago. It was actually on my buddy Jay's wife's Chevy Tahoe. I was able to recover by using what little glass polish I had from the old Diamondite line. It was probably the product and NOT the pad.

If I were in your shoes, I would try it BUT - don't try it on the driver's side of the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

ONE TIME - I used a glass polish from one company and a glass pad from another company and the combo put micro-marring into the glass.

Now follow me, if the things you have to use to REMOVE scratches out of glass PUT scratches into the glass - you're screwed.

Think about it.

This was probably 8 years ago. It was actually on my buddy Jay's wife's Chevy Tahoe. I was able to recover by using what little glass polish I had from the old Diamondite line. It was probably the product and NOT the pad.

If I were in your shoes, I would try it BUT - don't try it on the driver's side of the windshield.

all of my glass is basically new, but some of the coatings recommend it. I might skip it on my cars and try it out on my sisters car that has a big wiper mark going through it. that's what I bought it for anyhow.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

Think about it.

^^ this EXACT thing happened to me. I used Ceriglass with some new Griot's glass polishing pads on my wife's minivan and it marred the hell out of it. NEVER again. It was in an attempt to get some wiper trail scratches out. They were super light and I was hopeful. Honestly, I just ended up replacing the windshield after that and have since never used either again. I'm sure with the CarPro pads I since purchased it might be fine but going forward I will handle it differently.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    all of my glass is basically new, but some of the coatings recommend it. I might skip it on my cars and try it out on my sisters car that has a big windshield mark going through it. that's what I bought it for anyhow.
    Skip it on your cars would be my advice. Griot's Fine Glass polish is awesome as a regular use cleaner for glass and primer for coatings. It's been my go-to for a while now.

If your sister has a big mark on her glass and is open to simply replacing it, that would likely be best. most insurance co's cover a broken windshield and depending on your coverage it may be at no charge. That's what happened to mine. Damn rock put a big notch right in my line of sight.....fixed in 1 day.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I messed my glass up. At some point a price of dirt must have gotten on felt pad it lead to real bad swirls. I recently fixed it by using a new pad and rotary with ceriglass but it took 2-3 hour and the rotary was pulling me all over the place. Glass polishing stinks it makes mess and I was on a step stool with rotary giving me a workout. Horror stories are real

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast