autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Car had opticoat glass coating, now has water spots, does it means that coating has gone ? Clay bar to remove water spots ?

Car had opticoat glass coating, now has water spots, does it means that coating has gone ? Clay bar to remove water spots ?

Hello,

Car was coated almost 2 years ago, but after cleaning the car without drying it, it now has water spots.

Do you think that it means that the glass coating has gone already ? Or a car that is glass coated can still have water spots ?

And what is the best solution to remove water spots ? Clay bar ?

Thank you so much for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car had opticoat glass coating, now has water spots, does it means that coating has gone ? Clay bar to remove water spots ?

Glass itself gets water spots and etching. Lots of threads with good tips on removing them, try white vinegar on a small test area first.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car had opticoat glass coating, now has water spots, does it means that coating has gone ? Clay bar to remove water spots ?

If you used Opti Glass two years ago, it's probably gone. Using clay may help a little, but will not remove the water spotting completely. Use a water spot remover for glass..you don't want to use an acid as it may rainbow your glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I hope that I am clear enough, the car has coating on paint, I am not sure if its called glass coating but it's opticoat.

So after almost 2 years it must be gone ? And the reason why I have water spots ?

Clay bar seems to remove them, watch this video please ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgZkoaAHczo

If claying the car is not enough, is it ok to use chemical AFTER ?

Thanks again.

ps" vinegar and lemon didn't work and reading a lot on the topic it seems to almost NEVER work.

Post Thanks / Like

Iron-x
    Decon wash
    maybe clay

Inspect. You may be surprised.

Post Thanks / Like

IronX won't remove embedded water spots. Nor will it remove above surface contaminants. Only clay can do that..

However if you clay your paint you're sure to remove most if not all of the coating [assuming it's still on there after 2yrs. which is a slim chance]
    Clay may or may not remove the water spots, but at least it'll remove loads of contaminants that are surely embedded into your paint after going 2yrs. now with nothing to protect against them bonding to surface...

I'm glad I never have to worry about parking next to sprinklers. Go ahead and turn them on because my car's not coated, it's protected against water spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, so if I clay the car and still have water spots, I can use chemical guys spot remover AFTER claying ?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Eldorado2k;1528155]
    I'm glad I never have to worry about parking next to sprinklers. Go ahead and turn them on because my car's not coated, it's protected against water spots. :

So what do you do, shoot it with DI water before it dries?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benzw205 View Post
    Thank you, so if I clay the car and still have water spots, I can use chemical guys spot remover AFTER claying ?
    Sure, there's certainly no harm in trying a dedicated water spot remover when used as directed. Just keep in mind that most if not all coatings don't claim to be able to survive through either of those 2 methods, but at this point the most important thing is removing those water spots, correct?

If those 2 steps don't work, polish would be next in line, then compound, then wetsanding, etc... But you should be alright since I take it these water spots are somewhat recent.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Rsurfer;1528161]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I'm glad I never have to worry about parking next to sprinklers. Go ahead and turn them on because my car's not coated, it's protected against water spots. :

So what do you do, shoot it with DI water before it dries?
    Nope, I didn't do anything. I just leave it be, they could be on there till the next time I wash the car and they come right off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast