autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

30$ pneumatic polisher the ultimate scartch killer?

This guy keeps bashing Rupes, Boss and other long throw machines and claims that his 30$ carbage beats them. I have 15 and 21 mk2 and they correct faster than my forced rotation Rupes Mille which corrects faster than 3401.

https://youtu.be/Y-xWtTxhjXs
    I mean really?

https://youtu.be/9oS_PxQngPI

Here are some of his answers:

"because most pro detailers are afraid to even use a rotary and they lack confidence and worried to burn clear coat..they turn to my industry with that mind set and my industry sells them 450 dollar machines that were designed to remove swirls, spider webbing, holograms and restore shine and gloss...but those things are the easiest thing to do in the first place..why do you see companies call some of these fancy long throw DA's SWIRL KILLERS?...they don't call them DEEP DEFECT KILLERS..lol...but with that said the rupes is an amazing tool to remove the defects mentioned faster than say a porter cable or a griots 6 inch orbital...but after that they will struggle to remove deep defects UNLESS your willing to spend hours and hours on a vehicle with slow arm speeds and aggressive pads with aggressive compounds and perhaps some wet sanding as well...and most pro detailers will chase the 20% of the buying public looking for that kind of correction, and as they spend 2 days on the same car, i have done 4 paint corrections for the 80% and made more money than the other guy..do you understand my thoughts?...but yes when people want perfection they call me as well in dallas but thats going to cost a lot of money"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 30$ pneumatic polisher the ultimate scartch killer?

Why he compare his 80% work to several days full correction? I can use My MK2 to do 80% jobs in a few hours as well.

By the way, lately I come to get what he try to explain. I am Rupes diehard fan, I can polish curves and conclaves area using them. However, I had to admit that a cheap powerful 8mm DA can remove defect faster than MK2 in many cases, especially on the curves and conclaves.

Even Rupes say that MK2 won't stall, it would still stall, while 8mm 900W cheap chinese DA will keep on spinning and remove defect on those conclave areas. Also with super powerful foam Pads like B&S Low Pro Green and more powerful compound those 8mm Powerful DA can correct as fast as using long throw, and much cheaper than 3401 or Mille and finish nicer. Also, these 900w 8mm DA are powerful enough even with reasonable force pressure, but I will prefer more on using Rupes length of traveling method on them than force method.

Post Thanks / Like

To me, the point he is trying to make is that his $30 sanding tool (outfitted with backing plate and pad) combined with a $150 air compressor will deliver acceptable results for what he feels is the most requested items to be corrected (removal of swirls, spiders, scratches, and restore gloss & shine) without the need to buy $300- $400 machines. The 2nd video link you posted looks legit to me -I saw sanding marks when he pulled the camera down to the hood for a nice close up (see 1:40 - 1:49 of the video). I didn't take what he was saying as "bashing", I heard him say the Rupes and Boss were great machines as long as you know and understand their limits. Seems to me he's just informing folks of an alternative tool setup to accomplish the tasks he spoke about.

Post Thanks / Like

He is clearly bashing Rupes.and saying ita 50% slower machine. Mk2 really works well in curves and even concaves. You just have to know how to. There are only few spots where you need mini da or rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

this is a great article for those who haven't seen it...

Surbuf Pad paired with M105 and PC is a defect killer!

Post Thanks / Like

Who cares what someone on YouTube thinks? If you like your $500 machine then keep using it and killing swirls.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

The results speak for themselves.

If the job can be done easier and effectively without expensive machines, what's wrong with that?

Post Thanks / Like

Scott isn't bashing anyone. You have to understand where he's coming from. Every industry gets a little crazy at times, and sometimes you go down the rabbit hole.

His point is this; if you're lugging an air compressor around anyway, why not use something like this instead of investing hundreds, maybe thousands in tools that'll do the same job? It makes sense to me. There's no mention of how smooth it operates, its throw, adjusting the speed isn't as precise as dedicated polishers.

I think claiming it'll get the job done faster is pretty bold, but I think considering it wouldn't stall on any curve might make that true.

Scott puts out videos for a certain audience, and it's really important to keep that in mind when you watch his stuff. The same way I take what Larry kosilla and Kevin brown have with a grain of salt, I also approach scott in the same way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosiers View Post
    To me, the point he is trying to make is that his $30 sanding tool (outfitted with backing plate and pad) combined with a $150 air compressor will deliver acceptable results for what he feels is the most requested items to be corrected (removal of swirls, spiders, scratches, and restore gloss & shine) without the need to buy $300- $400 machines. The 2nd video link you posted looks legit to me -I saw sanding marks when he pulled the camera down to the hood for a nice close up (see 1:40 - 1:49 of the video). I didn't take what he was saying as "bashing", I heard him say the Rupes and Boss were great machines as long as you know and understand their limits. Seems to me he's just informing folks of an alternative tool setup to accomplish the tasks he spoke about.
    Well said and I agree.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Just as in other trades where different
    stages of remodeling/refinishing/refurb-
    ishing are involved...Whenever I plan on
    refinishing/correcting/"detailing" vehicles'
    paint via buffing, I think in terms of:
    "rough and finish"---which in turn all
    boils down to: "time = money".

-"Rough" buffing is Rotary/Wool;
    -"Finish" buffing is DA/Foam.

The cost of equipment, tools, etc.
    is all part & parcel of the Trade:
    it doesn't matter if they cost $30
    or an-arm-and-a-leg...they are all
    eventually integrated into the jobs
    bidding processes of the business
    savvy Detailer. Or should be, IMO.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast