autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mckees paint coating vs pinnacle black label paint coating?

Quote Originally Posted by inzer585 View Post
    Not to get off topic, but is Sonax now part of the PBMG? I noticed on the site on the pulldown menu that PBMG brands are usually at the top and Mckees has been moved to the bottom and Sonax is at the top now with PBMG brands. There seems to be much more ads for Sonax on Autogeek. Not that its a bad thing though.
    The company that bought PBMG is the US distributer for Sonax.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    From what I could gather, they don't mention that it was *designed* to be topped, but it *can* be topped; appears their language is a bit ambiguous. Given their specific mention of Pinnacle Souveran, could be they're just trying to sell wax in addition to the coating...which is a disservice to their customers in my eyes. They tout the self-cleaning abilities of their coating, then suggest a wax that'll pretty much mask the self-cleaning behavior the tout as one of the benefits of their coating. I think whoever writes their ad copy/product descriptions needs to decide just what the main benefit of the coating is and not include extra language to suggest another product that'll mask one of the touted aspects of the coating.
    The diamond paint coating is version 2. If you look at the diamond surface coating which is version 1 it says it was "formulated to be able to top with your favorite paste wax"

I think they might of changed to wording a little too. IDK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    That's cause there is no concrete data or information on the coatings. They aren't making it in the back room of autogeek or mckees. They are provided a coating sometimes after many revisions and they sell it as brand x y or z. They may have input on "we want it silica based" or "we want it in a spray bottle" etc.

You just won't get the data you are looking for

You just need to put your faith in the company and chemists that are making the products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately you are probably right. But maybe they actually do have a tweak to make it more compatible with a wax???

The other thing I would like to know about is the new mckees coating formula will harden in the tube if you don't clean it out after first use. The old formula did not do that I would like to know

1 why
    2 does the PBL harden the same way?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    The diamond paint coating is version 2. If you look at the diamond surface coating which is version 1 it says it was "formulated to be able to top with your favorite paste wax"

I think they might of changed to wording a little too. IDK
    Never really understood the exact differences between SURFACE coating and PAINT coating in their lineup. Who knows, maybe it's the same stuff, different bottles and pricing...never really looked that closely. I think sometimes PBMG just plain over saturated themselves with all the different brands.

Wonder if some of the PBMG (Pinnacle, Wolfgang and so forth) brands are gonna slow in new development after McKees broke off into their own entity.

Coatings, being one of the more recent developments, sure are producing more and more products these days. Seems like every day someone is asking about the 'best' or if this newly released product is *the best* when likely many are the same or only mildly tweaked. Doesn't seem reasonable to think every coating brand has a *significantly* special formula.

I messed around with 10 or 11 different consumer-grade coatings last winter and while there were some standouts, a few seemed awful similar in their application and final *general* characteristics.

I do remember that one of the PBMG, maybe Pinnacle or Blackfire, was an absolute nightmare in its first version, so much so they took returns on much of it.

At the end of the day, find something you like and something that works for you, your environment and your maintenance habits and stick with it. Just because it works for Bob in Arizona on his car that never sees rain doesn't mean it's gonna work well for Pete's daily driver in Minnesota. The idea that there is an absolute best for any and all folks in every case is a fantasy perpetuated by Internet Fan Boys.

Post Thanks / Like

Never really understood the exact differences between SURFACE coating and PAINT coating in their lineup. Who knows, maybe it's the same stuff, different bottles and pricing...never really looked that closely. I think sometimes PBMG just plain over saturated themselves with all the different brands.

Wonder if some of the PBMG (Pinnacle, Wolfgang and so forth) brands are gonna slow in new development after McKees broke off into their own entity.

Coatings, being one of the more recent developments, sure are producing more and more products these days. Seems like every day someone is asking about the 'best' or if this newly released product is *the best* when likely many are the same or only mildly tweaked. Doesn't seem reasonable to think every coating brand has a *significantly* special formula.

I messed around with 10 or 11 different consumer-grade coatings last winter and while there were some standouts, a few seemed awful similar in their application and final *general* characteristics.

I do remember that one of the PBMG, maybe Pinnacle or Blackfire, was an absolute nightmare in its first version, so much so they took returns on much of it.

At the end of the day, find something you like and something that works for you, your environment and your maintenance habits and stick with it. Just because it works for Bob in Arizona on his car that never sees rain doesn't mean it's gonna work well for Pete's daily driver in Minnesota. The idea that there is an absolute best for any and all folks in every case is a fantasy perpetuated by Internet Fan Boys.
    Theres 10000 diffrent products in every catagory though. You can't spend a million dollars, quit your job and try a million different products to find what you like. Thats why they have features to help you narrow it down.

I'm mean look at me I can't get a straight answer or even a vauge answer on anything so I bought both. It's ridiculous, the only time they ever answer a question on anything is if its easy or it's a newly released product

Post Thanks / Like

Theres 10000 diffrent products in every catagory though. You can't spend a million dollars, quit your job and try a million different products to find what you like.
    Boy, you sure got that right, something new every day it seems. Did finally find something that does everything *I* need and am pleased with...done chasing unicorns.

Post Thanks / Like

Boy, you sure got that right, something new every day it seems. Did finally find something that does everything *I* need and am pleased with...done chasing unicorns.
    I agree! Love your statement! -- "done chasing unicorns." Lol....

My life is much better once I realized there were no unicorns! Took me awhile tho...Chuckle...

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Thats why I don't want to use a coating. What am I supposed to do with all my waxes, sealants, spray waxes, quick retailers, waterless wash products ect,,, all designed to work with regular uncoated paint or boost regular wax products. Am I supposed to throw it away?

I have expensive products I haven't even used yet or only used once

9. Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats why I don't want to use a coating. What am I supposed to do with all my waxes, sealants, spray waxes, quick retailers, waterless wash products ect,,, all designed to work with regular uncoated paint or boost regular wax products. Am I supposed to throw it away?

I have expensive products I haven't even used yet or only used once
    Once I finally settled on what worked for me, I just gave away most of my other stuff, much of never or only once used. In addition to being strangely entertaining, it gave me a chance to see if other folks impressions matched mine. Also let me find out if things that didn't meet my expectations were due to the product itself or my inability to use correctly.

11. Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats not the reason why they say it. Thats your assumption. It has nothing to do with synergy wax. It clearly says "designed to be topped with your favorite carnuba wax.

You say they are "buzz words"and "any coating can be topped" but then you say all coatings are not the same. Obviously any coating can be topped that does not mean they all should be topped.

This stuff is all new. Pinnacle black label may have a reason to say specifically their coating is more compatible with a carnuba wax. Instead of trying to answer the question you are trying to give reasons why it shouldn't be asked. The fact is you don't know. Not a big deal but don't try to convince me I shouldn't be asking the question.

If they claim their coating is designed specifically to be topped I want to know about that. Not about the boards coating dogma. I'm sorry but that doesn't help.

If the question had been answered in my "other threads" I wouldn't have made this one. I can read so thanks but I don't need the reiteration.
    Yes that is called marketing
    Mark

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast