autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mckees paint coating vs pinnacle black label paint coating?

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I am going to reiterate what others have mentioned in your other thread. Any coating can be topped. The reason Pinnacle says it can be topped is because they offer synergy wax in their line up. I would not worry too much about topping any coating as the self cleaning effect will keep the wax from sticking around long enough. Thus over thinking it.

Ceramic=SiO2=Nano Glass. These are buzz words that mean the same thing. Yes every coating is going to vary based on the chemical make up.
    Paint sealant has that same effect. You agree that Coatings are different so why is it such a stretch to think that wax is going to bond to some Coatings better than others?

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Both are formulated with nano glass ceramic particles. Both made by the same people. The pinnacle is more expensive but the mckees is a newer formula.

Do you think there is any difference here? The pinnacle claims to be designed to be topped with your favorite carnuba. That's perfect for me but I don't see there being much difference between the 2?

What do you guys think. The same or different?
    Bob McKee is the former owner of Pinnacle Black Label, Pinnacle Natural Brilliance, BLACKFIRE Car Care, Wolfgang Car Care, and Marine 31. When Bob sold Autogeek to the Hulman-George family last fall, he sold EVERYTHING except McKee's 37, McKee's RV and the real estate. Autogeek is a distributor of McKee's 37 / McKee's RV, not the manufacturer.

Post Thanks / Like

Paint sealant has that same effect. You agree that Coatings are different so why is it such a stretch to think that wax is going to bond to some Coatings better than others?
    I did not say that wax is going to bond to some coating than others. The self cleaning effect of a coating is what will keep the wax from bonding longer than it would on uncoated paint.

Again there is no rule against topping a coating. You can top any coating to your hearts content.

Here is my recommendation. Pick a coating and play around with it. You will see what works and does not work. Part of the fun is experimenting rather than over thinking it.

Post Thanks / Like

Paint sealant has that same effect.

You agree that Coatings are different
    so why is it such a stretch to think
    that wax is going to bond to some
    Coatings better than others?
    IMO:
    First of all you have to determine:

Do Waxes ever actually "bond" to paint,
    Sealants, Coatings; or, as far as that
    goes, even unto other Waxes?

Hint:
    Think about a well-known Brand's
    "hard shell" marketing spiel...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Legit question. I honestly do not see the point of topping a coating with a wax. Seems to me to be pointless and defeating the purpose of applying a coating in the first place. However, I do now and then top mine with a product such as "Reload" after I do a Reset wash.

I think the Guz is spot on with the Fusion wax theory. Why would they not recommend a wax topping when they sell it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@McKees37 View Post
    Bob McKee is the former owner of Pinnacle Black Label, Pinnacle Natural Brilliance, BLACKFIRE Car Care, Wolfgang Car Care, and Marine 31. When Bob sold Autogeek to the Hulman-George family last fall, he sold EVERYTHING except McKee's 37, McKee's RV and the real estate. Autogeek is a distributor of McKee's 37 / McKee's RV, not the manufacturer.

I understand that and I thought PBL and the mckees coating were both designed by him and his team? Do you know about the coating from PBL and the claim of being designed to be topped by wax?

Does the mckees coating share that feature?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I did not say that wax is going to bond to some coating than others. The self cleaning effect of a coating is what will keep the wax from bonding longer than it would on uncoated paint.

Again there is no rule against topping a coating. You can top any coating to your hearts content.

Here is my recommendation. Pick a coating and play around with it. You will see what works and does not work. Part of the fun is experimenting rather than over thinking it.
    I'm not over thinking it I'm doing a normal amount of thinking. Unless any thinking at all is considered over thinking? These days it definitly seems that way.....

I had narrowed down to 2 coatings. No reason to waste money right?

1 of the 2 coatings advertises that it was formulated to be topped with carnuba. The other 1 does not. Given the similarities stated I don't think it's asking to much to know if both of these coatings share that feature or not?

Nick was in here I'm sure he could of shed some light on the subject. I prob should have emailed customer service. Anyway I've lost my patience with this thread and can clearly see it going around in circles. I bought both coatings. Whichever one I don't use I will flush down the toilet.

Post Thanks / Like

That's cause there is no concrete data or information on the coatings. They aren't making it in the back room of autogeek or mckees. They are provided a coating sometimes after many revisions and they sell it as brand x y or z. They may have input on "we want it silica based" or "we want it in a spray bottle" etc.

You just won't get the data you are looking for

You just need to put your faith in the company and chemists that are making the products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@McKees37 View Post

Not to get off topic, but is Sonax now part of the PBMG? I noticed on the site on the pulldown menu that PBMG brands are usually at the top and Mckees has been moved to the bottom and Sonax is at the top now with PBMG brands. There seems to be much more ads for Sonax on Autogeek. Not that its a bad thing though.

As far as topping a coating. I plan on using Black Label Paint Coating and then 24 hours later topping it with Black Label Paint Sealant. Sounds like a good combo for Ohio's winter for my daily driver.

Post Thanks / Like

The pinnacle coating says specifically it was designed to be topped with a wax. It's not over complicating to assume it is different then another coating that was not designed to be topped.
    From what I could gather, they don't mention that it was *designed* to be topped, but it *can* be topped; appears their language is a bit ambiguous. Given their specific mention of Pinnacle Souveran, could be they're just trying to sell wax in addition to the coating...which is a disservice to their customers in my eyes. They tout the self-cleaning abilities of their coating, then suggest a wax that'll pretty much mask the self-cleaning behavior the tout as one of the benefits of their coating. I think whoever writes their ad copy/product descriptions needs to decide just what the main benefit of the coating is and not include extra language to suggest another product that'll mask one of the touted aspects of the coating.

Black Label Diamond Paint Coating with its nano-glass formula is resistant to alkaline cleaners, degreasers, and harsh detergents. Compared to your clear coat, Diamond Paint Coating is more resistant to scratches and marring. The nano-glass formula forms such a hard shell of protection that virtually nothing can penetrate or stick to it, making your vehicle retain that just-detailed shine for years!

Another advantage to Black Label Diamond Paint Coating is the self-cleaning effect that it provides. The nano-glass formula fills in the microscopic pits, pores, and valleys of your vehicle’s paint, creating a perfectly smooth, flat surface. Dirt and road grime will be removed with virtually no effort, making your vehicle easier to clean and maintain.

Surface care products that bear the Pinnacle name are expected to outshine anything else available, and Diamond Paint Coating is no exception. After being treated, vehicles will look as though molten glass was poured over them creating the appearance of a silky, glass-like shine that causes light to reflect, not refract. Diamond Paint Coating can be topped with your favorite carnauba wax, like Pinnacle Souveran, to add a warm carnauba glow.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast