autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Pad burned through!?!?

Ok, so I used an AIO today on my truck using my PC 7424XP - 5" BP, 5.5" Lake Country beveled edge pads. I got done and was washing up my pads when I noticed the center of the velcro is just gone!! The edges of the hole appear burned. I didn't have near enough pads for the truck, so I was trying to make do since it's just my work truck. Well, the first pad I noticed got saturated and started to sink in the middle. Now I didn't notice the damaged velcro until after I was completely done, but my theory is that's the pad it happened to. My question is what did I do?!? Did it get too saturated and too hot and just burn off?!?

The next crazy thing is that I can't for the life of me find the missing velcro!! It's not on the PC, it's not in the bucket of pad cleaner that I soaked them in, and I can't find it on the ground anywhere. Where the heck did it vanish too?!?! LOL

Has anybody else had anything like this happen?? Or did I get a defective pad??

Thanks,
    Confused Russ....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad burned through!?!?

Wow. That thing looks melted!

Hard to believe that the PC could generate that much heat to melt a pad like that, but I guess if you were stretching the pad to the limit without changing them over, and the pad was saturated like you said, it could be possible.

I use the PC w/ LC flat pads, and I work it to its max potential. IME, I have never had a pad get anywhere near so hot that it would melt the center like that. But, I do switch pads after just about every panel of my truck.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Wow. That thing looks melted!

Hard to believe that the PC could generate that much heat to melt a pad like that, but I guess if you were stretching the pad to the limit without changing them over, and the pad was saturated like you said, it could be possible.

I use the PC w/ LC flat pads, and I work it to its max potential. IME, I have never had a pad get anywhere near so hot that it would melt the center like that. But, I do switch pads after just about every panel of my truck.
    Yea, I'm really confused! This pad was only used 1 other time (last weekend) and was properly cleaned and air dried. I realize I'm still a noobie at this as it was only my 5th vehicle by machine, but I've never seen anything like it!

As a side note, I'm about to order more pads and was going to go with the LC flat pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone probably ruins at least one pad when they are learning how to polish,I ruined three by using them too long and for no reason at all because I had 6 of each. I used one so incorrectly that it exploded in pieces. I really have such great memories of all my errors when I was starting out that I would not change a thing. After I learned to change out the pads sooner and use the right pad/compound combination I got quicker results from working clean as Mike said in his videos. A clogged pad does not work and heats up very fast. I remember pads with steam coming out of them and collapsed centers and thinking that the machine was the problem, the problem was actually looking at me in the mirror. I hope you learn faster than I did so you still have some pads left when you are done with your project!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wing commander View Post
    Everyone probably ruins at least one pad when they are learning how to polish,I ruined three by using them too long and for no reason at all because I had 6 of each. I used one so incorrectly that it exploded in pieces. I really have such great memories of all my errors when I was starting out that I would not change a thing. After I learned to change out the pads sooner and use the right pad/compound combination I got quicker results from working clean as Mike said in his videos. A clogged pad does not work and heats up very fast. I remember pads with steam coming out of them and collapsed centers and thinking that the machine was the problem, the problem was actually looking at me in the mirror. I hope you learn faster than I did so you still have some pads left when you are done with your project!
    Ahhh, so my assumption was right! I saturated/clogged the pad trying to use it too long and caused it myself?? I figured... LOL

Now, the million dollar question is WHERE DID THE PIECE GO?!?! HAHAHA

Mike Phillips

When the pad become wet with the liquids in a product - the liquids hold the heat better than just dry foam.

Thus using a single pad or even just a few pads to buff out entire cars destroys the pads.

More pads is better

Also remember - the ocillation action at high speed is VIOLENT - this also contributes to Pad failure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    When the pad become wet with the liquids in a product - the liquids hold the heat better than just dry foam.

Thus using a single pad or even just a few pads to buff out entire cars destroys the pads.

More pads is better

Also remember - the ocillation action at high speed is VIOLENT - this also contributes to Pad failure.

Thank you for the explanation Mike, I'm amazed at how much you personally devote to this forum. I have the utmost respect for you, and I'll definitely be learning from this mistake! Heck, 1 pad for a valuable lesson is worth it Pad burned through!?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VETLAG View Post
    Thank you for the explanation Mike, I'm amazed at how much you personally devote to this forum. I have the utmost respect for you, and I'll definitely be learning from this mistake! Heck, 1 pad for a valuable lesson is worth it Pad burned through!?!?

I have never seen that type of pad failure. However, I have experienced Pad explosion! While I am polishing all the foan was flying in bit and pieces! Fun to watch all them fly. My guess you have put too much product on and you stayed in the same area too long. Remember, 3 pea size drops (after you prime the pad) is all you need to take care of a 2 by 2 area. Additionally, the more pads the better. But Mike Phillips is right!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    I have never seen that type of pad failure. However, I have experienced Pad explosion! While I am polishing all the foan was flying in bit and pieces! Fun to watch all them fly. My guess you have put too much product on and you stayed in the same area too long. Remember, 3 pea size drops (after you prime the pad) is all you need to take care of a 2 by 2 area. Additionally, the more pads the better. But Mike Phillips is right!
    I think I was using it somewhat sparingly, although possibly a little too much. I honestly think the biggest mistake I made is using it too long. I did the roof, hood, front fender, and door with it because I only had 3 pads... I have more pads in my cart