autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Layering

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Layering

A couple of questions about layering. Is it worthwhile regarding shine duration and appearance to layer sealants such as Klasse AIO etc? Same for carnubas such as Pinnacle Souvran etc. After using a quick detailer such as Pinnacle's Crystal Mist, does adding a "topper" of carnuba increase the longevity of the shine and appearance? If layering, how long should one wait between applications of both sealants and carnubas?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Layering

Layering:
    I prefer the word ‘film’ as opposed to ‘layer’, a film more accurately describes a thinly applied sealant or wax, were as a layer tends to describe a thicker covering. Some specialty paint protection systems can have subsequent film added to increase protection and paint appearance, systems must cure or cross-link prior to application of subsequent coats. Depending on the product type, cure times vary from a few hours to days.

By applying another low-solvent product (Victoria Concours Wax on top of one that has already cross-linked you can increase its density (up to a point) two to cured applications are usually considered optimum One thing that will negate the applied product density is lack of clarity, the base coat (that contains the vehicle’s colour) is covered / protected by a clear coat of urethane paint, which as well as providing protection is clear to enable the paint colour to show through and provide the colour with depth.

Any product applied on top of the clear coat needs to be optically clear (transparent) otherwise both the paint colour and its depth of shine will be muted. One of the problems with ‘layering’ some polymers is that they tend to occlude (become less opaque) as the thickness increases

The viscosity of the previous layer requires more solvent to significantly melt away than the next applied wax layer can contain The carrier system allows the product to fill and level the paint film surface to produce a flat surface (this flat level surface is more pronounced with polymers due to their Covalent (molecular) alignment characteristics). This level surface optimises the paint film surface's desired optical properties (i.e. surface reflectance, clarity, gloss, and depth of shine)

Another ‘layering’ technique- apply a liquidCarnauba wax (liquid wax usually contains polymer and solvents) and allow to set-up (usually 1-2 hours, do a smear test to endure that its dry and then a apply to a paste Carnauba wax; allow the solvents to evaporate for 2-4 hours, and finally buff surface with a 100% cotton towel to produce jetting (a ‘wet-look’ shine)

Wax- two coats to ensure even coverage (maximum is four) a wax cures (hardens when the solvents have evaporated ) usually 25-45 minuets then you can apply the second coat (ensure that there are no solvents left by doing a smear test otherwise the solvents in the second coat will remove the first)
    (See also Spit Shine)

Paste wax – use a low-solvent wax (Victoria Concours Wax, Souverän or P21S) is just a thicker form of liquid wax, just a different consistency, not necessarily more or less solvents. Some wax products use an emulsion to keep more liquid without adding solvents which, in high concentrations could remove the underlying wax too rapidly to allow the "melting" together of the wax" strata.

Polymers- most contain a mineral or silicone oils that are use as a lubrication system, in a solvent based carrier system (these may also be in the form of an oil / water emulsion) and by the nature of this product they need to vaporise / dissipate and then its needs to cross-link (this is time dependant (unless a catalyst is added) and is quite separate from the drying process

To my knowledge, all polymer sealants are based on an emulsion system containing silicone oils. Zaino Show Car Polish is the only polymer sealant that I'm aware of that is not based on the element silicone (its lubrication system is a polymer) it contains reactive resins that cross-link and provide long-term durability and can therefore be successfully layered (a new application of Zaino Show Car Polish does not remove previous applications). Zaino also has an ultra violet (UV) protection added

Solvents / oils provide a lubricant and aid the adherence process by working their way into the microscopic gaps and valleys of the previous `layer' softening it, providing each subsequent applications carrying agent (solvent, oils silicones or emulsion) are not so concentrated that they degrade or remove (as in the case of a cleaner wax) what has been previously applied.

Also be aware that the both the product and the foam pad may be non-abrasive, but application pressure if not kept to an absolute minimum and using use a very light and even pressure, may re-introduce surface marring and/or removal of the previously applied product by friction.

TOGWT ™ Copyright © 2002-2008. Jon Miller, all rights reserved

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiger 6 View Post
    A couple of questions about layering. Is it worthwhile regarding shine duration and appearance to layer sealants such as Klasse AIO etc? Same for carnubas such as Pinnacle Souvran etc. After using a quick detailer such as Pinnacle's Crystal Mist, does adding a "topper" of carnuba increase the longevity of the shine and appearance? If layering, how long should one wait between applications of both sealants and carnubas?
    Thanks.
    Keep in mind that being an All-In-One, Klasse AIO has polishes and cleaners in it which will remove the previous layer of Klasse AIO (or anything else on the paint). In other words, you cannot layer AIO's such as Klasse AIO. However, after putting down Klasse AIO, you can put as many layers of a pure sealant such as Klasse Sealant Glaze as you wish.

Post Thanks / Like

TOGWT - how does polycharger affect other polymer sealents? and zaino can only be layered back to back if you add zfx correct? curious if you know the differences between zfx and polycharger

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _M_ View Post
    TOGWT - how does polycharger affect other polymer sealents? and zaino can only be layered back to back if you add zfx correct? curious if you know the differences between zfx and polycharger
    ZFX is a curing agent for Zaino and allows multiple layers in one session. I believe 3-5 max is still rule of thumb, although I think using this much is truly just wasted product as point of diminishing returns has reared after about 2 layers.

Polycharger was a similar product but offered more as to its added slickness, gloss and longevity. It could however be argued that allowing any sealant to properly cure would enhance its durability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    ZFX is a curing agent for Zaino and allows multiple layers in one session. I believe 3-5 max is still rule of thumb, although I think using this much is truly just wasted product as point of diminishing returns has reared after about 2 layers.

Polycharger was a similar product but offered more as to its added slickness, gloss and longevity. It could however be argued that allowing any sealant to properly cure would enhance its durability.
    i understand the generic versions of what they both do, i'm actually hoping TOGWT can explain the science behind them - if he knows? he seems to have quite a bit of understanding in that realm.

certainly thank you for the reply - i did get some polycharger and 4* UPP on your recommendation. i will definitely report back on what it looks like soon (if this weather ever breaks)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Layering=TOWGT

TOWGT:

"Another ‘layering’ technique- apply a liquidCarnauba wax (liquid wax usually contains polymer and solvents) and allow to set-up (usually 1-2 hours, do a smear test to endure that its dry and then a apply to a paste Carnauba wax; allow the solvents to evaporate for 2-4 hours, and finally buff surface with a 100% cotton towel to produce jetting (a ‘wet-look’ shine)"

So we should use liquid souveran first IF we are going to attempt to layer?

Also with a soft wax hard wax combination (DoDo dbl) shouldn't the hard wax go on first?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Layering=TOWGT

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    TOWGT:

"Another ‘layering’ technique- apply a liquidCarnauba wax (liquid wax usually contains polymer and solvents) and allow to set-up (usually 1-2 hours, do a smear test to endure that its dry and then a apply to a paste Carnauba wax; allow the solvents to evaporate for 2-4 hours, and finally buff surface with a 100% cotton towel to produce jetting (a ‘wet-look’ shine)"

So we should use liquid souveran first IF we are going to attempt to layer?

Also with a soft wax hard wax combination (DoDo dbl) shouldn't the hard wax go on first?

Thanks
    The basic premis is wax with the most solvent first (usually, but not always, liquid wax)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _M_ View Post
    i understand the generic versions of what they both do, i'm actually hoping TOGWT can explain the science behind them - if he knows? he seems to have quite a bit of understanding in that realm.

certainly thank you for the reply - i did get some polycharger and 4* UPP on your recommendation. i will definitely report back on what it looks like soon (if this weather ever breaks)
    I think Killerwheels has answered the question as well as I could without going into complex scientific explanations.

Polymer accelerants are common within the polymer industry (also used to chemically dry paint)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    I think Killerwheels has answered the question as well as I could without going into complex scientific explanations.

Polymer accelerants are common within the polymer industry (also used to chemically dry paint)
    i've read some of your posts - never seemed to stop you before about giving scientific explanations-

i actually AM looking for the scientific explanation of how zfx differs from polycharger. if you dont want to post it maybe you can PM me with the how the structure differs between the two and i can figure it out., if you know.

i was hoping you knew...you seem very knowledgeable about the make-up of these products.

i just like to try and understand how things work beyond the surface.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast