autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need help deciding on a new entry level coating - McKee's 37 or Duragloss

Hey Everyone,

So my girlfriend is getting a new Honda CR-V in metallic gray (daily driver) and I was thinking about putting a coating on it. I have never used a coating before, hence the "entry-level" part of the title so it needs to be user-friendly for a noob. It also needs to be reasonably priced and durable. I have been looking at McKee's 37 paint coating and Duragloss' Enviroshield Ceramic Coating to start with. What are your thought's on these if you have used them or do you recommend another coating?

I was also going to use a "booster" every so often to help the coating using "in the family" products such as Hydro Blue SiO2 spray or Aquawax (I love this stuff). I like the idea of using the Hydro Blue (spray and rinse) for the wheels and glass as well.

From what I've read, you don't want to use a soap that contains wax, glossifers, etc., that will alter the original performance of the coating. Is this correct? For rinseless, I have D114, so I should be good there, but for a traditional soap I have DG901/DG902, which I believe has something in it. I am almost done with my gallon of DG so I will be getting a replacement. Would DG901/902 still work or would you recommend something different? This soap would be used for other non-coated cars as well.

I am also think about putting some PPF on the front of the CR-V. Would the coating affect the adherence of the PPF to the paint? If I did get the PPF, I would also put the coating on top of the PPF.

Thanks for any input and help!

Geoguy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help deciding on a new entry level coating - McKee's 37 or Duragloss

This was just posted by pro 4x and it seems like a good deal

Coating kit

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, your wording is wrong. You are looking for a coating for an entry level detailer...cause neither of these are entry level by any means. I've used 2 kits of Duragloss and love it! I just ordered the McKees coating and I bet it will be just as user friendly and last just as long.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Mckees 37 is more user friendly i think..I have not used Duragloss but Mckees 37 is so stupidly easy to use..If i were you get Mckees 37 since they updated their formula it should be better now..i have the old version..great coating..get the Kit worth it..comes with everything you need..McKee's 37 Coating Complete Kit

Post Thanks / Like

You've not used both but make a claim that one is more user friendly? Ugh. There is nothing complicated or finiky about the DG coating at all. Spritz it on the pad or panel and wipe on JUST LIKE what McKees recommends in their product 2 or 3 years after the DG has been out. No flashing problems high spots wipe right off effortlessly..had my 10yo daughter help me on a T-bird I did a couple years ago even
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Mckees.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the Duragloss coating and it is a very easy process.

The coating has been on our Pilot for about 16 months and is still holding up very well. The car is a daily driver, but is kept in a garage at night and in a parking garage during the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Most consumer coatings are easy to apply. It's the prep work that's a pain. Take your time prepping the vehicle. The McKee's 37 and Duragloss coatings are great. You will be fine using either coating.

Post Thanks / Like

DG was easy to apply for me. I feel like I prepped everything to a T, however I don't think the durability is all that great. I applied it this spring and bugs wiped off very easily for the first two months. The beading is still decent on hood and roof, not so much anywhere else.

Post Thanks / Like

Just about 2 years on my dad's Malibu that sits outside 24/7 and daily driven by his wife. I have 3 customers who had me coat their fun car (garage kept and driven occasionally) that have passed the 2 year mark and going strong using the DG. I'm not saying its any better than McKees but I don't think anyone can/should say that McKees is better than DG either. In the exact same situation I bet the DG and McKees would be very similar in performance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast