autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for a carwash soap that DOESN'T have wax in it, sell me on YOUR favorite!

Are there any soaps for maintenance washes (non coated vehicle) that don't dry as fast as others? I do my washes at the coin wash, mainly because of lack of space for washing my large truck, I bring all my own soap, wash pad etc. Being that its a large, full size truck, it takes a bit to get around the whole truck. Even doing so in the evening, when temps are cold, the soap is usually drying in places before I'm finished. I've only used Meguiar's Gold Class and their Ultimate Wash and Wax, both had similar results with dry time. I haven't seen any issues with it drying, it appears to rinse off but it would be nice to avoid it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for a carwash soap that DOESN'T have wax in it, sell me on YOUR favorite!

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDuty View Post
    Are there any soaps for maintenance washes (non coated vehicle) that don't dry as fast as others? I do my washes at the coin wash, mainly because of lack of space for washing my large truck, I bring all my own soap, wash pad etc. Being that its a large, full size truck, it takes a bit to get around the whole truck. Even doing so in the evening, when temps are cold, the soap is usually drying in places before I'm finished. I've only used Meguiar's Gold Class and their Ultimate Wash and Wax, both had similar results with dry time. I haven't seen any issues with it drying, it appears to rinse off but it would be nice to avoid it.
    I have a full-sized truck as well.

Try dividing the wash between the drivers/passengers side.

You could try keeping all the panels wet, but I have found this to be nearly impossible.

Otherwise, give Rinseless Washes a try. You'll be a believer.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I have a full-sized truck as well.

Try dividing the wash between the drivers/passengers side.

You could try keeping all the panels wet, but I have found this to be nearly impossible.
    That would work but also cost more, since I do it at the coin op. As it is, the initial rinse down and final rinse combined cost me about $12. This truck is a beast, my 2 ft. ladder barely gets me high enough to reach the whole half top of the cab, and its not lifted.

I don't know enough about rinseless, it scares me. Seems like a safe option for a garage queen/collector car maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

That would work but also cost more, since I do it at the coin op. As it is, the initial rinse down and final rinse combined cost me about $12. This truck is a beast, my 2 ft. ladder barely gets me high enough to reach the whole half top of the cab, and its not lifted.

I don't know enough about rinseless, it scares me. Seems like a safe option for a garage queen/collector car maybe?
    RW is for anyone who wants a clean car, anytime/anywhere. It’s best to use if the car is washed frequently, i.e. not caked in mud or grime. If it is, I would just keep your process of pre-rinsing.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You could get a 3 gallon (or so) pump-up sprayer and fill it with water to take with you to the coin-op. Then use the sprayer to keep the truck wet during the intervals when you aren't feeding coins.

7. Thanks DirtyDuty thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

$12 plus your products?? Ouch.

Like acuRAS82 said, unless your truck is caked in mud or extremely filthy (which by your description, it does not seem to be), then Rinseless washes sound like your cup of tea.

Pre-treat one or two panels at a time, use the RW, (read up on the technique. It is VERY simple), dry the panel(s), and move to the next section.

Easy, effective, time saving, and in your case....... money saving.

9. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

$12 plus your products?? Ouch.

Like acuRAS82 said, unless your truck is caked in mud or extremely filthy (which by your description, it does not seem to be), then Rinseless washes sound like your cup of tea.
    Yep, unfortunately the truck is too big to fit in my driveway and I'm not into doing stuff on the street. The self wash is $3 for 4 min. and then $X by the minute after that. I fire it up twice during the process and usually have a combined total around $12.

The truck is generally pretty clean aside from a layer of sand/dust, that begins almost immediately after washing, it sits outside 24/7. I anticipate it being even dirtier as we get into some rain, being on the job site etc.

I will look into the RW, in my head I cant understand how wiping down dirty paint, dipping that dirty rag into the same bucket and repeating over the entire vehicle could be good ha ha. I'm sure there is more to it that I am missing. I could understand power washing first, then doing a RW.

Post Thanks / Like

I will look into the RW, in my head I cant understand how wiping down dirty paint, dipping that dirty rag into the same bucket and repeating over the entire vehicle could be good ha ha. I'm sure there is more to it that I am missing. I could understand power washing first, then doing a RW.
    Yeah, there is no using the same towel. You use many towels, and the used ones NEVER go back into the RW solution.

You have a tough set of circumstances. :/

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, there is no using the same towel. You use many towels, and the used ones NEVER go back into the RW solution.

You have a tough set of circumstances. :/
    Ahh, that makes more sense. I wonder how many rags it would take to do a crew cab Ford Super Duty, 20? Lol. How many times can the rags be reused before they are just too loaded up with dirt?

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, that makes more sense. I wonder how many rags it would take to do a crew cab Ford Super Duty, 20? Lol. How many times can the rags be reused before they are just too loaded up with dirt?
    20 sounds about right. You have 8 sides to each towel when folded in quarters.

Your towels will last years if washed correctly with a quality MF detergent.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast