autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight cracks

My 2005 Silverado has this problem. It looks like it's all the way through the lens, not just on the surface. I tried some compound and polish on a DA and it didn't help at all. I think I'll be getting new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

While we're on the subject. Why don't they make the headlights out of the same plastic as turn signals?Headlight cracks-img_4072-jpgHeadlight cracks-img_4073-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

The best UV protection you can apply is to use a 2K clearcoat. On a Volvo, the headlights are easy to remove so that I what I would do if it was my own car.

As for headlight vs turn signal plastic, you can be pretty certain it is the same type of plastic. The difference is that the plastic on the turn signal is not submited to high temperature from the halogen light bulb. So the clearcoat doesn't degrade as fast as it does on the headlight side.

Post Thanks / Like

Headlight cracks

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    The best UV protection you can apply is to use a 2K clearcoat. On a Volvo, the headlights are easy to remove so that I what I would do if it was my own car.

As for headlight vs turn signal plastic, you can be pretty certain it is the same type of plastic. The difference is that the plastic on the turn signal is not submited to high temperature from the halogen light bulb. So the clearcoat doesn't degrade as fast as it does on the headlight side.
    Idk, on the Silverados, there's daytime running lights if it's in gear so they're on all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It has two different reasons. First one, car owner decides to change the bulbs to higher energy ones (commonly thinking to penetrate hazy, yellow headlight lenses) and it cause undesired heat generation. Second reason, it had restored by low quality detailer and (mostly misused rotary polisher builds heat) caused heat shock. These two reasons cracks the headlight mostly to the inside. To detect the cracks prior to restoration, open the headlights (test low and high beams separately) and spray something on lenses (water, soapy water what have you). If there's a crack, it will be visible (illuminated by headlight itself).

AGOnline kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123