autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1931 Auburn

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1931 Auburn

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    Thanks for the updates, Tom! I am following along with you on this project with excitement.

I realize your test spots were by hand but how did you find the paint to be "workability" wise?
    Hummm....With polisher, gut feeling paint will be right down the middle. Not too hard nor soft. I think paint will be a breeze! Fingers crossed!

By hand---AIO hardly put a dent in the paint. With mid-grade polish and compound. Finally was able to remove scratches and bring out some shine. Come Sunday I will know exactly what I need to use.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post

In over my head? Not really. Just gonna take more time, lots of curves, pin striping etc.

More on prep work than the actual polishing itself.

Thought be a hoot if you guys want an "Internet project" and contribute in a way. But no---task is very doable. If you think about it, not much different between a family driver and a
    classic car. Both respond to a polish the same way. (Of course---depending on testing.) Will be doing extra testing just to be certain.

Bottom line---bring the experience and a dose of basic common sense to the task and one should be fine.
    Well said and I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post

Believe me---I would not do it if I felt unsure of any of the tasks ahead.

And this is a Biggie---The Competition Ready class.

This alone made the world of difference!

Without this---I would've never been able to comprehend polishing an Auburn!

But now---no biggie.

Just gonna take more time, some thinking, series of small testing and the use of proper abrasives to the task.

Sorry---didn't mean to ramble on!

Tom

Tom - it was a genuine pleasure having you attend our 3-day class here in Stuart, Florida. More than that, I love how you've become an active participating member of our forum inspiring others to follow in your footsteps.

Your threads and posts on this forum are always positive and helpful and I for one really appreciate it. You are an alumni member of an elite group of detailers and that's some bragging rights others don't have.

Pictures & Comments from the February 2017 Competition Ready Detailing Class!

This is Tom from Germantown, Maryland about 1000 miles from Stuart, Florida one way

This is Tom aka TMQ on the AGO forum

Tom was our hearing impaired student for which we brought in professional signers so he understand the information being taught and take his knowledge and skills to a higher level.

Thank you so much for your trust Tom and attending our class and thank you for your continued participation on this forum sharing with others.

I rarely use the bow down emoticon...

Mike Phillips

Also just to note....

Cleaning and protecting convertible tops on cars that you don't wash is a challenge.

At some point each of us has to make the decision to wash or not to wash a classic car in order to correctly flush the dirt out of the weave of the top to follow the normal protocol of cleaning before protecting.

For situation where you cannot wash and flush a convertible top and specifically a cloth or canvas top, then the next best thing is to both vacuum and if you have compressed our, blow-out the weave of the top and then use a lint roller to remove stray fibers and debris attached to the top.

After that go ahead and apply the RaggTopp protectant because it WILL restore a deeper, darker appearance and this adds to the overall beauty of the finished work.

For those that can was a car and thus wash the top here's my write-up on how to do this.

NEW Haartz/RaggTopp Convertible Top Brush - How to clean and protect a convertible top

And here's the key technique for the application of the protectant - wear gloves and work the protectant into the weave, don't just let it sit on the top like dew.

Dew appearance

Finished...

Mike Phillips

Tom...

I'm taking off for Orlando in a few minutes, when I get back next week I'll download all your pictures and then upload them to your gallery and re-insert them so they make the full impact of this incredible project you're undertaking.

And have fun on your vacation!

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, thank you for sharing this great project.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Post Thanks / Like

Saturday---Clayed and testing.

Settled on Rupes blue/blue and finished out with white/white. Paint was diamond hard! Hardest I've ever seen and was not thrilled with results---felt I could have gotten a bit more. Had a hard time with Rupes blue pad---grabby, stalling and tons of dirt and dust. I was kind of surprised that it would do that. This was my fav set-up. Now it wasn't worth a darn!

Tested a few combinations and completed the rear upper deck. Rupes blue/blue, white/white and P808 sealant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1931 Auburn-img_2316-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2320-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2329-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2336-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2326-jpg  
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

I will post today's results (Sunday) Later.

Today was much, much better! and very happy with the results. Did a couple of testing and came up with another plan.
    The whole front end of the car is done. Radiator cover/hood/ cowl/fenders are done! Tomorrow will be a breeze. (easy)

Kind of late right now and I'm beat.

I still have about a day and half to go on the car then I'm going to the outer banks of a bit of R&R.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

On Sunday: Completed front end.

I wasn't too thrilled with the Rupes blue/blue and white/white. Thought need just a tad more cut.

I've used Rupes UHS in past and thought it didn't have much cut. Came back to forum and got info how to use properly.
    6 beads on outer edge of pad, Speed 2 at one spot for 30 seconds, then 2 spots after each section. Worked perfectly! Now I see what the fuss was all about.
    This has much more cut than the Rupes blue/blue on very hard diamond like paint! No dust at all! Rupes was happy at speed 4 or 4 1/2.
    Did about 4 or sometimes at certain spots 6 section passes. Beautiful! Could've stop here. But going in for the kill---finished off with Rupes white on white. Perfection!!!

I was very happy with the feel, the cut, and the results! Now this is what a good, artsy polishing should feel like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1931 Auburn-img_2363-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2364-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2366-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2365-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2362-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2361-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2360-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2356-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2355-jpg  
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Looking great Tom.

Nice adjustment with the process, sure looks like it done the trick & made life easier at the same time. Enjoy your down time buddy, thank you for the update.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about pictures are not orderly...

Anyway---better than none!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1931 Auburn-img_2339-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2338-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2354-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2340-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2341-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2342-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2343-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2344-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2345-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2347-jpg  

1931 Auburn-img_2352-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2353-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2355-jpg   1931 Auburn-img_2356-jpg  
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast