autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

1 step paint correction/sonax ceramic coating

This upcoming Wednesday I'm doing 1 step paint correction on 2015 Mazda 6s and Im going to add sonax cc36 ceramic coating my first time applying coating as well.

My process will be
    Wash
    Iron X
    Clay
    Car pro essence
    Sonax ceramic coating

So my question is can essence be used as primer where I wouldn't have to use paint prep for the coating ?

Also will the suede microfiber that comes with the kit will it be enough to coat the whole car ?

I'm also looking for way to maintain the coating
    In my collection I currently have
    Reset
    Hydro2
    Reload
    Echo2o
    Would I be able to use reload as maintenance to keep the coating at its best? Or would there be no need for that ?
    I also I have
    Sonax polymer net shield ready to use
    All post picture the car when I receive the vehicle
    Thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1 step paint correction/sonax ceramic coating

I currently have Sonax CC36 on my daily driver. I also had the opportunity to attend a demo of the coating prior to using it so I got to pick the brains of the Sonax reps.

I am sure using essence would be ok but I would stick with just a regular polish and a good prep wipe. The reason I say that is to get good bonding between the painted surface and the coating without anything else in between such as the SiO2 left behind by essence.

The suede applicator is enough to do one car. It is in the package for those paints that are softer. The Sonax folks also mentioned that the suede applicator is recommended for darker paints where streaking is more noticeable if it does happen. The foam applicators work but you will get the dreaded squeak noise when applying it onto the paint. I felt the suede applicator to work better for step 1.

Another thing is that a little product goes a long way. I barely had enough of step 2 to finish my 99 Pontiac Grand Prix. Step 1 goes a little further.

Here is what the Sonax reps told me about maintenance other than a wash. Brilliant shine detailer was recommended for a weekly wipe down. They mentioned that if one truly wants to get 3 years out of the coating then they recommend to top the coating with Polymer Net Shield every 6 months as they share similar chemistry. Sonax states that this is a 1 year coating.

I have been using McKee's N914 as a drying aid and detail spray to keep my coating properties without any other toppers such as reload. I am trying Brilliant shine Detailer on door to see how that area goes in this long term testing.

In saying this any of those would work if you choose to do so.

I almost forgot that the Sonax coating is slick until the first wash. After that it is not as slick and feels a tad grabby. The water behavior is really nice and most importantly it is easy to apply once you get going.

Two good articles by Mike Phillips

How to use the SONAX CC36 Ceramic Paint Coating

Review: SONAX CC36 Ceramic Coating - LC HDO Foam Pads - Makita PO5000C - Supercharged Dodge Yellow Jacket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I currently have Sonax CC36 on my daily driver. I also had the opportunity to attend a demo of the coating prior to using it so I got to pick the brains of the Sonax reps.

I am sure using essence would be ok but I would stick with just a regular polish and a good prep wipe. The reason I say that is to get good bonding between the painted surface and the coating without anything else in between such as the SiO2 left behind by essence.

The suede applicator is enough to do one car. It is in the package for those paints that are softer. The Sonax folks also mentioned that the suede applicator is recommended for darker paints where streaking is more noticeable if it does happen. The foam applicators work but you will get the dreaded squeak noise when applying it onto the paint. I felt the suede applicator to work better for step 1.

Another thing is that a little product goes a long way. I barely had enough of step 2 to finish my 99 Pontiac Grand Prix. Step 1 goes a little further.

Here is what the Sonax reps told me about maintenance other than a wash. Brilliant shine detailer was recommended for a weekly wipe down. They mentioned that if one truly wants to get 3 years out of the coating then they recommend to top the coating with Polymer Net Shield every 6 months as they share similar chemistry. Sonax states that this is a 1 year coating.

I have been using McKee's N914 as a drying aid and detail spray to keep my coating properties without any other toppers such as reload. I am trying Brilliant shine Detailer on door to see how that area goes in this long term testing.

In saying this any of those would work if you choose to do so.

I almost forgot that the Sonax coating is slick until the first wash. After that it is not as slick and feels a tad grabby. The water behavior is really nice and most importantly it is easy to apply once you get going.

Two good articles by Mike Phillips

How to use the SONAX CC36 Ceramic Paint Coating

Review: SONAX CC36 Ceramic Coating - LC HDO Foam Pads - Makita PO5000C - Supercharged Dodge Yellow Jacket
    Awesome thanks for the reply I don't have any specific paint prep besides regular IPA would that work just as good? So u pretty much used up all the product or car? Or you had a lot left over ?
    As far as gloss where does this coating stand ?

Post Thanks / Like

IPA will work.

I have very little of step 1 (base coat) and literally none of step 2 (gloss coat) at least this is when I shake the cans. The kit is enough to do an average size car like something mid size. You should have enough for the mazda.

My car is silver but it has some really nice gloss. It's up there in terms of gloss level. I say it has better gloss than optimum gloss coat and pinnacle black label V2. Most of the gloss will come from your polishing stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    IPA will work.

I have very little of step 1 (base coat) and literally none of step 2 (gloss coat) at least this is when I shake the cans. The kit is enough to do an average size car like something mid size. You should have enough for the mazda.

My car is silver but it has some really nice gloss. It's up there in terms of gloss level. I say it has better gloss than optimum gloss coat and pinnacle black label V2. Most of the gloss will come from your polishing stage.
    Thanks for the help ! Really appreciate it mate. 1 step paint correction/sonax ceramic coating