autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Small dots/imperfections after compounding

So I have a persistent problem that I hope I am not creating. I've been compounding with GG fast correcting cream, and while I'm getting most of the swirls, small dots remain. It isn't terrible on some surfaces, but I did the leading edge of my hood today, and they are everywhere. I have clayed the paint (very little has come off) and it feels totally smooth, but these little dots are killing me. See pic below. Any idea what these are? See around the LED. I even have them on my windshield. The cleaner I get my car, the more obvious they become.

Thanks in advance.

Small dots/imperfections after compounding-img_8904-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Small dots/imperfections after compounding

Kinda tough to see clearly but I'm gonna take a guess. I detailed a Nissan 370z not too long ago & the paintwork had some type of etching/pitting that seemed to be more prominent on the horizontal surfaces but didn't resemble typical waterspot mineral etching. They were small & I couldn't feel them at all but they were deep enough that I didn't feel comfortable chasing them any further than I did.

Your description sounds similar to what I experienced but obviously hard to say without clearer pictures. Are the spots all over your car or just on the horizontal surfaces? What about the glass? All of your glass is affected or just the screen? Are they the same spots as the ones on the paint? Maybe post a picture of the glass for us to try & figure out what it is for you?

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done much for paint correction work on the 2007 and newer 911's, but the older cars have very soft paint that indents very easily from road debris. I believe this may be what you are seeing and it is not worth chasing it any further in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

That's kinda what I'm thinking right now. It's a bummer. I've been working really hard to clean this thing up and I'm about to get new clear on the hood and it looks like crap. It's a 2009, and it looks great when no direct light is on it, but this think must have been sitting in acid rain or driven through a sandstorm or something.

The pic I uploaded shows it very well but for some reason became low res in the thread. I'll try it from my computer.

Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your questions, they are everywhere, but worse on the front and windscreen. They almost have a little prism effect under LED light. They're really small though. There is a patch on the hood that are bigger spots and def look like water spots etched into the clear, but most are super small.

Post Thanks / Like

From here...it looks very
    similar to "solvent pop".

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

It's probably etched as mentioned. I have the same thing except on my black car. Soft paint yet they have not come out with wetsand/compound. Without removing too many mils anyway.
    I purchased used, car was from Florida, and I can only assume it was near sprinklers or it rained on a very hot day where the sun came out immediately after and it sat baking.
    It's all over my hood, roof, trunk, and quarter panel curves.
    It's honestly the only reason I haven't put a ceramic coat on this car, the sealant I use seems to help hide the imperfections. Step 4ft back and the finish looks amazing. Start getting closer and you can see the etched, faded white spots on the horizontal surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like

See if this works better. I zoomed in.

What is solvent pop? You mean on film? This is all over the paint.

Small dots/imperfections after compounding-capture-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DA Hypnosis View Post
    It's probably etched as mentioned. I have the same thing except on my black car. Soft paint yet they have not come out with wetsand/compound. Without removing too many mils anyway.
    I purchased used, car was from Florida, and I can only assume it was near sprinklers or it rained on a very hot day where the sun came out immediately after and it sat baking.
    It's all over my hood, roof, trunk, and quarter panel curves.
    It's honestly the only reason I haven't put a ceramic coat on this car, the sealant I use seems to help hide the imperfections. Step 4ft back and the finish looks amazing. Start getting closer and you can see the etched, faded white spots on the horizontal surfaces.
    Yup. That's me. The car lived in South Carolina, so much rain and heat. I'll take one more pass with some GG finishing cream and call it a day. It's my daily and I park it outside a lot of nights, so I guess no biggie. I just really wanted to get it close to perfect before re-applying film. I guess this will be a good test of my OCD abatement program!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like normal pitting from all the sand kicked up on freeways.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast