autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Ozone Generator

Post Thanks / Like

Ozone Generator

Hello All,

I hope everyone had a great weekend. I detailed a car this weekend and just could not get the horrible stench out of it, I tried multiple scents and the smell still lingered. I have been reading about Ozone generators and thought it was interesting. Does anyone use one on their clients cars? If so, where do you place it in the car while it is running? I have read that it can be harmful to humans and animals if inhaled, so do you Ozone it outdoors so when the doors open you don't have the chemical smell in the garage, or is it not that strong of a smell?

As always, thank you for all of your input and advice. Happy buffing everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ozone Generator

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    Hello All,

I hope everyone had a great weekend. I detailed a car this weekend and just could not get the horrible stench out of it, I tried multiple scents and the smell still lingered. I have been reading about Ozone generators and thought it was interesting. Does anyone use one on their clients cars? If so, where do you place it in the car while it is running? I have read that it can be harmful to humans and animals if inhaled, so do you Ozone it outdoors so when the doors open you don't have the chemical smell in the garage, or is it not that strong of a smell?

As always, thank you for all of your input and advice. Happy buffing everyone!
    I use one regularly. It's often my added "bonus" to customers as it really costs me nothing to use it while I detail the outside. I usually run it for 1-2hrs with the car off and sealed then I air it out and run it again. After the second time has been going for about 30 minutes or so I'll start the car and cycle through the HVAC both hot and cold with recirculating mode on. Then I'll shut the car and let it finish the cycle. It's especially noticeable on cars where the smell like smoke. On exterior only details, I think cleaning windows inside and running an Ozone Machine help add to the experience of the owner seeing and now smelling a clean detailed car.

Positioning really won't matter inside a car as good units will over power and completely fill the vehicle. Ozone is heavier than standard air but in a car, again, it will fill up. Just be very careful opening it. Hold your breath and I'm not kidding. Ozone at these very very high levels is not good to inhale, especially if you have any respiratory sensitivities. It is a very noticeable smell. Good news is it dissipates and breaks down back to a standard molecule in about 1hr.

I put my sons track shoes in a box last night and ran them through a 2hr cycle in the garage. I'll often put the windows of the cars down as the machine will completely fill my 22x22 garage quickly and why not cleanse the cars as the same time right?

It's a good add-on to a strong interior cleaning. Keep in mind, while ozone is a great tool, it may not penetrate very deep into seat cushions or carpet padding. It does a great job overall but is not the end all be all for completely removing odors or germs. Good news is however, it makes a difference and definitely kills germs. On bad vehicles is may take upwards of three two hour sessions to really kick the smells.

I hope the above helps.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Ozone generators are becoming a big deal in the hunting world. They work great for treating clothes to get rid of scent and some will run them when sitting in a deer hunting blind.

I've used a small generator I have for my hunting duffel in my car with good results. One thing of note though: The stuff isn't good for you. It can cause respiratory issues, headaches, etc. Aircraft are often equipped with scrubbers to remove it from the ventalation system because it can get to very high concentrations at altitude, particularly in the winter over Canada and the Northern US. Aircraft without them often have to restrict their altitude to prevent excessive levels. It also causes rubber and vinyl degradation so use according to the instructions, and take care to avoid exposure to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your input! I did see one on sale for $70 on Amazon, maybe I start off small with this one. I will be extra careful with exposure, thank you again!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    Ozone generators are becoming a big deal in the hunting world. They work great for treating clothes to get rid of scent and some will run them when sitting in a deer hunting blind.

I've used a small generator I have for my hunting duffel in my car with good results. One thing of note though: The stuff isn't good for you. It can cause respiratory issues, headaches, etc. Aircraft are often equipped with scrubbers to remove it from the ventalation system because it can get to very high concentrations at altitude, particularly in the winter over Canada and the Northern US. Aircraft without them often have to restrict their altitude to prevent excessive levels. It also causes rubber and vinyl degradation so use according to the instructions, and take care to avoid exposure to it.
    Air Purifier vs. Ozone Generator
    Just watched a APEX DETAIL video on youtube over weekend and BRIAN at APEX USES A PURIFIER, I plan to purchase a PURIFIER after reading this article...