autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Plastic Trim... I need help

I recently purchased a used truck that is overall in excellent condition. The trim, however, has been severely neglected. There isn't any build up, but it is pretty faded. I want to restore it, but am a little confused with the different products and overlapping performance and whatnot. From what I understand, I need a good cleaner, a restorer, and a sealer. I already have some mother's Back to Black cleaner. I'm looking for suggestions on a restorer, and have heard good things about UTTG to seal. Am I going in the right direction here? What restorer do you guys think works best?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plastic Trim... I need help

Quote Originally Posted by Malabris View Post
    I recently purchased a used truck that is overall in excellent condition. The trim, however, has been severely neglected. There isn't any build up, but it is pretty faded. I want to restore it, but am a little confused with the different products and overlapping performance and whatnot. From what I understand, I need a good cleaner, a restorer, and a sealer. I already have some mother's Back to Black cleaner. I'm looking for suggestions on a restorer, and have heard good things about UTTG to seal. Am I going in the right direction here? What restorer do you guys think works best?

Thanks
    Do a final clean with IPA, apply Solution Finish (dye, so wear gloves), apply UTTG or Car Pro Dlux as a topper.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of truck is it? Is it smooth or textured trim?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Textured trim. Its a 2011 Ranger. The truck is black, so the faded trim looks out of place.

Post Thanks / Like

Plastic Trim... I need help

UTTG, and McKees Plastic Trim Restorer have been working pretty well for me. I haven't tried my Solution Finish yet.

I started a little comparison test back at the end of March. The UTTG and McKees are still noticeably there.

I'm not sure if it was the type of plastic, but WETS didn't really do well on it from the start.

I love WETS, but it may be more suited for trim in good condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Prep the plastic trim with APC or IPA. Apply Solution Finish to restore the plastic trim. Autogeek offers plenty of products for protecting the plastic trim. I like to use the Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant.

Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer, trim restorer, black plastic restorer

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, rubber trim sealant, rubber protectant, exterior trim products, metal sealer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Malabris View Post
    Textured trim. Its a 2011 Ranger. The truck is black, so the faded trim looks out of place.
    The Mothers Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner should work out great for your prep.

These are the typical results I get from it. There's no need for an IPA wipedown after using it. Go straight to applying whatever you're going to use for protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Solution finish will work well, but this will outlast everything. Flood Penetrol 1-Qt. Clear Paint Additive-FLD4-04 - The Home Depot

Post Thanks / Like

I had fantastic results with DLux in my testured faded cowl trim and side skirts. Not so good results on my smooth plastic trim.

I picked a 3-4 day window of clear weather since you're required to avoid water. But just the condensation that formed overnight caused waterspots? to form on the newly coated smooth plastic trim that won't wash away. I've read on here that DLux can be removed with APC, a MF towel and some scrubbing, so I'm going to try that soon.

But man, was the DLux nerve-racking to use. I'd never used a coating before, and so I didn't want to mess up the application or get in on surrounding paint/glass/etc. So I masked everything off, but you still have to move quickly to get overlapping passes without the coating starting to setup and get tacky.

Also doing the cowl was very difficult. I'll have to go back and touch it up. Particularly the corners at each side of the car, the grille/holes that are over the HVAC intake, and the area under the wiper arms. My advice: use detailing stick, maybe cotton swabs, for the grille, turn the wipers on momentarily then stop them to move them out of the way and coat the cowl under them, and just do your best in the corners. Again, the detailing sticks will help with that.

I also like that DLux is versatile since it's both a trim AND wheel coating. I used very little of my bottle doing the trim, so I'll coat my rims with it next spring too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derass View Post
    Also doing the cowl was very difficult. I'll have to go back and touch it up. Particularly the corners at each side of the car, the grille/holes that are over the HVAC intake, and the area under the wiper arms. My advice: use detailing stick, maybe cotton swabs, for the grille, turn the wipers on momentarily then stop them to move them out of the way and coat the cowl under them, and just do your best in the corners. Again, the detailing sticks will help with that.
    Use these.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast