autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How much should I charge and how should represent myself?

Hi,
    I am a passionate auto detailer and have been into this industry for just over a year and have learned so much. I do routine washes, leather care, steam cleaning, paint correction, just the all around typical stuff a detailer does.

I have a big question, which may have several answers/opinions. I currently work for an exotic car rental business. Before this I had done a car for a private estate, neighbors cars, word of mouth business, all of which was mobile. Now, I just keep everything at the rental place because I only do mobile detailing approximately 1-3x a month. My question is how much should I charge them given my situation.

My setup:
    2 buckets, Griots MF mitts for top and bottom
    Array of Meguiars pre-diluted 2.5 gallons spigots: APC, Super Degreaser, Glass Cleaner, and the most used, Wheel Brightener.
    Gyeon WETCOAT for protection and time savings.
    Griot's entire BOSS system (g15, all pads, all creams)
    Rupes iBrid nano
    Shop vac
    Steam cleaner
    Metro Revolution Blower (8hp)
    and many more miscellaneous for interior care, tire shine, etc.

Owned by the rental's place:

Subaru Pressure Washer ($300)
    Ozone Machine ($150)

I do not have any license, or business certificate, I have been just doing this as a "hobby" but recently I have gotten just a unstoppable amount of cars coming in I need to do something about it. Regarding insurance, the company has its own which I am supposedly covered (moving vehicles, etc)

What I have been charging them
    $20-25 for hand wash, wheels cleaned, tires dressed and windows cleaned if needed. Previously I was charging them $30.
    $10 for interior vac and quick interior surface wipedown of stains, or fingerprints on piano tile, etc.
    $15 for clay bar
    $20 for sealant/wax (wetcoat)
    $50 for interior shampoo/steam clean
    $300 for paint correction to get all swirls out necessary. (so far only 2 of 20 cars have received this detail)

They believe I charge too much
    . All the employees see my work and are always impressed.

I am not paid on the clock, so sometimes I do help with customers, help with their errands, etc other areas where they need help I do not charge them for. All the employees have access and use my materials and tools, however I am still trying to teach them the idea of keeping a car swirl free, it is often ignored or disregarded ("oh let me just speed shine this car real quick" attitude)

I print invoice of all the things I did and they just write me a check.

I have also been recently getting a lot of private owned vehicles wanting to get their own detail at the location. What should I charge them?

I currently make 2-4k a month working 4 hours Mon-Fri and full day Saturday. I am 18.

Any suggestions?How much should I charge and how should represent myself?-img_20170615_175021896-jpgHow much should I charge and how should represent myself?-img_20170526_164209329_hdr-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much should I charge and how should represent myself?

Seems like you have a good character to be working with exotic cars! When I first started, my prices were similar to yours. Prices seem low in my standards but then again, you are working with a rental company. I would definitely charge a lot higher in the future, especially if you are doing private vehicles. I have detailed for more than a decade and over time, your body will wear and tear working on cars. Low balling yourself to risk the chances of getting disc, herniation, and other injuries towards your body are not worth it! I remember when I first started, I charged less than 100 dollars to do a full paint correction in order to get a reputation. Now I charge $500 to 2,000 for paint correction. The best way to sell yourself is to post blogs/pictures with a lot of before/after pictures. Keep up the good work!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much should I charge and how should represent myself?

Thank you. I have been helping them out for almost a year now. They never had a dedicated detailer for before and had just awful products on their shelf. They never really washed the cars, just speed shined them using hideous microfiber towels. I really wanted to change that when I came to them because their cars deserve so much better.