autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Intro, Background, Waterspots

TLDR - Water spots appeared after wash, clay, compound, sealant, and wax. Why?

Hey folks. I love detailing.

I purchased a 2003 S-10 with low mileage in black. It seemed really clean when I bought it but I planned on a full detail anyway. The paint looked super oxidized after some rain and washes. I have never buffed a car b4 but I now own a Griots Garage random orbital buffer. I washed with a soap of stripping strength, clayed, and then began to learn how to use the RO. I applied Meguiar's Ultimate Compound lightly to the pad and spread it gently on the paint on setting 1. Then I buffed and removed at setting 4-5 in a snake pattern up and down and back and forth twice each panel. THe difference was night and day. Convinced I had done my job I went ahead and applied my favorite Wolfgang's Paint Sealant. After curing for 12 hours in the garage, I applied another coat and let it cure. Then I put a top coat of Collinite paste fleetwax. I was impressed with my work.

I took the car out the next day and was splashed by an 18-wheeler driving in the shoulder with dirty water. I didnt care that much because this work isn't done for the short term affects.

The hood and roof mainly were completely covered in water spots. I really havent experienced this before. Shouldn't the treatments applied have protected it from that?

I am now in the process of rebuffing. Again, it looks stellar.

What could have happened here?

Intro, Background, Waterspots-2ij0oas-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Intro, Background, Waterspots

Not sure. I would however skip the collinite and see how it performs. If you're going to top it with Collinite, wait a month or so then do it.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Intro, Background, Waterspots

Thank you for the reply. I agree. I think the Collinite may have reacted with the Wolfgang's.
    BTW I should have mentioned that the pic I posted was a before and after of the original condition of the, not the waterspots.